Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2007, 19:21   #1
Junior Member+

Threat to fine........

Once again HBC (Herr Britcliffe & Co) have come up with another way of encouraging us to recycle. A £1000. fine if you don't. I received a little note through my door stating that my house has been monitored and I don't recycle. So therefore I assume that who ever collects this rubbish has a list that is ticked when we leave out our bags and we get a letter if we don,t.

If they had "monitored" my house properly they would have noticed that in my yard I have a bin for glass, a bin for tins, a bin for paper and a bin for plastic. Which I take up to Great Harwood myself.

I wish they'd stop encouraging people with sledgehammers.........
Old 14-01-2007, 19:23   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Threat to fine........

Just being nosey, why do you take it to be re-cycled yourself, rather than let them collect it?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 19:24   #3
God Member

I also take the stuff to the tip myself. I know full well that if I put the recycling containers/bags out for collection they won't be coming back.
Old 14-01-2007, 19:27   #4
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Just being nosey, why do you take it to be re-cycled yourself, rather than let them collect it?

I leave for work at 5.30 am by the time they get to our house it's half way down the road...
Old 14-01-2007, 19:34   #5
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

typical council, why dont they go to a spot where theres always rubbish been dumped and see whos fly tipping!

the nosy gits if they watched there employees who empty the stuff they will notice that they dont do there job right in the first place!!

eg leaving bottles lying around that they dropped and putting the wrong bags and boxes at the wrong house!!!
Old 14-01-2007, 19:34   #6
Give, give, give member

I can see both your points, though I'm nearly always in when they collect mine, so it's not really a problem for me.

Although I have been a big critic of HBC, I must point out that the service I get is great, and they always return the right box, with my bags safely underneath.

There are people who still don't re-cycle, and the council is under pressure from the government to meet targets set by them.

If people aren't re-cycling, how do you think they should be encouraged to do it? You obviously see the importance as you go to the bother of taking your stuff to be re-cycled yourself.

Old 14-01-2007, 19:37   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I can see both your points, though I'm nearly always in when they collect mine, so it's not really a problem for me.

Although I have been a big critic of HBC, I must point out that the service I get is great, and they always return the right box, with my bags safely underneath.

There are people who still don't re-cycle, and the council is under pressure from the government to meet targets set by them.

If people aren't re-cycling, how do you think they should be encouraged to do it? You obviously see the importance as you go to the bother of taking your stuff to be re-cycled yourself.

It's fine if you leave your containers/bags outside your house, they will more oftne than not leave them in that vicinity when they empty them. In my case we have to leave everything at the end of the back street. As I'm out all day at work on the day they collect I know there's no chance of getting them back, they will be on e-bay !!
Old 14-01-2007, 19:41   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
It's fine if you leave your containers/bags outside your house, they will more oftne than not leave them in that vicinity when they empty them. In my case we have to leave everything at the end of the back street. As I'm out all day at work on the day they collect I know there's no chance of getting them back, they will be on e-bay !!
I can see that would be a pain. Unlike the wheelie bin which has to be left at the backdoor, the re-cycling stuff has to be left at the front door of each house.

The team we get, I can't fault.

We even get a very pleasant man round the next day picking and sweeping up anything that may have blown away, if I haven't already beaten him to it.

Old 14-01-2007, 19:48   #9
Junior Member+

Recycling is important to me and I have the means to able to go to these centres myself so I do.

If the council provide a service I believe thay should provide the best they can. There are place all over Hyndburn that "banks" could be placed and not just at prominent retailers I mean in the places where people live.

That way people who dont drive or are not at home when they come to collect, can go at their own time and recycle.
Old 14-01-2007, 19:55   #10
Give, give, give member

I totally see where you are coming from, and God forbid I ever start being an appologist for HBC, but the figures don't add up. Much more stuff is being re-cycled now that there are door to door collections, than there ever was, or would be, when people had to take it to designated sites. Not everyone is as committed as yourself.

The problems people have posted about I can see need improving, but like I said I can honestly say the service I get is good.

What incensed me, and prompted me to contact the Observer recently, was that 10% of all waste in the borough, coming from trade and including the Town Hall, isn't re-cycled at all.

Last edited by garinda; 14-01-2007 at 19:58.
Old 14-01-2007, 19:56   #11
God Member

The problem with sticking recycle banks here there and everywhere is that most of them will become vandalised within months.
Old 14-01-2007, 19:59   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The problem with sticking recycle banks here there and everywhere is that most of them will become vandalised within months.
...and wherever they are sited, no one wants to live near them because of the noise, smells etc.

Old 14-01-2007, 20:09   #13
Junior Member+

I agree totally.

I actually work for HBC (he said in a very very hushed voice) and the way some collegues "work" saddens me.

I think much more should be done in HBC's own backyard before we start threatening resident with fines.

There are some of us in the council that try to work to best of our ability, but there are those who see it as a "cushy number"
Old 14-01-2007, 22:18   #14
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialynne View Post
Once again HBC (Herr Britcliffe & Co)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialynne View Post

I actually work for HBC (he said in a very very hushed voice)

Ooooer Somebody likes living dangerously.

Back to topic:
I don't put my box out every collection week because it doesn't seem worth it unless it's full. It doesn't get full in a fortnight and that isn't because I put recyclable things in the bin. The blue bag goes out every time because it is always full, sometimes we even use a second blue bag.

Last week we put 2 blue bags out but after they'd been emptied they must have blown away because we never got them back. I phoned up and was told that a lot had gone astray with the wind and they were going to send me 2 replacements. Somewhere there must be a great pile of recycle bags littering up the place. I wonder if we'll ever find them?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 15:20   #15
I am Banned

my mum takes her rubbish to the tip herself mainly because she cant manage the wheelie bin and dosnt like leaving the gates unlocked if they collect it for her especialy after getting burgaled a couple of years ago .

i cant wait till i get the same letter because my recyclin gear went into teh wheelie bin the day i got it

the way HBC are going people will fly tip and then the rubbish wont even make it to the tip never mind be recycled

HBC want my tins , bottles and paper sorting out they can do it their bloody selves i have better things to do than clean up rubbish and have better use for the space the boxes and bags take up in my kitchen, infact where the blue box etc should be provided a space for a new tumble dryer and i wont leave rubbish in the garden as it is a hazzard to my children

£1000 lol i would love to see them try and get it

come down on manufacturers 1st its their crap etc thats teh problem

Last edited by chav1; 16-01-2007 at 15:27.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..