Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2008, 10:35   #31
God Member

Re: Threat to the Department of Continuing Education

770 signatures now
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-05-2008, 13:10   #32
I am Banned

Signed xx
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 13:54   #33
Loz

Just signed,hope it does some good.
Old 05-05-2008, 19:21   #34
God Member

Just a few off 800 now. It might not do too much good by itself, but we have a lot of support from staff in other departments and the elected student bodies, so there are definitely a lot of influential people who are working at it, and we're hoping that the university will find it embarrassing more than anything and stop what they are doing, because it's clear that they aren't going to appreciate the value of the department any time soon.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:55   #35
Resting in Peace

Well, tried to sign it, but informed me that my signature has already been recorded ....

Don't remember doing this at all .. maybe need an adult memory course ... LOL.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 17:24   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Well, tried to sign it, but informed me that my signature has already been recorded ....

Don't remember doing this at all .. maybe need an adult memory course ... LOL.
That is strange Katex, there is a search feature so you can put in your surname and see if your name comes up, but I don't see how this is possible if you haven't signed!

Please do try again!
Old 06-05-2008, 21:25   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
That is strange Katex, there is a search feature so you can put in your surname and see if your name comes up, but I don't see how this is possible if you haven't signed!

Please do try again!
Oh my goodness, Blazey .. did sign it on 1/5/08 !... remember now after I read the comment I put in at the time. So nothing strange about your petition site, very efficient .. just like I said, may need these services at some time to get the brain cells a little more active... Sorry.

Anyway, you lot get signing, don't like to see any education facilities disappearing, particularly for adult education .. never too late to learn, but if the facilities disappear, what hope is there for us..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:11   #38
God Member

Thought some people might be interested in the developments of the campaign to stop the job cuts.

This article doesn't mention it but the petition has been successful in one of its aims and we have been granted a hearing at University Court on the 25th June, which is a massive achievement, and hopefully we will hear positive news from this! Will keep you updated! Petition at current time has 1130 signatures, so the support is massive!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan article - dce.JPG (460.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-06-2008, 07:40   #39
Resident Waffler

I'm sorry I've only just seen this Blazey and added my signature today, although it may be a bit late now.

I wish I'd noticed it earlier.

I also wish I'd noticed that you'd had a problem posting it on BurnleyWeb as I could have sorted that out for you - perhaps it had been presumed to be spam and deleted. There has been a lot of trouble with spam posts and they are constantly being removed.

Is it too late to plop it on there now? Do let me know and if there's still any point posting it I'll make sure it gets accepted.

Again, I do wish I'd seen it earlier, just round about the time you posted it though I was having a lot of problems here and not online as much.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:21   #40
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

ee by eck blazey, with the look of ya in that paper, your looking more like ya gran everyday..
Old 06-06-2008, 14:36   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I'm sorry I've only just seen this Blazey and added my signature today, although it may be a bit late now.

I wish I'd noticed it earlier.

I also wish I'd noticed that you'd had a problem posting it on BurnleyWeb as I could have sorted that out for you - perhaps it had been presumed to be spam and deleted. There has been a lot of trouble with spam posts and they are constantly being removed.

Is it too late to plop it on there now? Do let me know and if there's still any point posting it I'll make sure it gets accepted.

Again, I do wish I'd seen it earlier, just round about the time you posted it though I was having a lot of problems here and not online as much.
Hey Willow,

To be truthful, I think the petition has ran its course now with as much as it can do, but thank you anyway for showing the support. Now we just have to wait and see what is decided at University Court, which is a massive thing. Unfortunately I can't be there because I am not on the student council and I am coming back to oswaldtwistle before it even begins, but I will keep everyone updated through my friends who ARE on the council.
Old 06-06-2008, 14:41   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ah good to hear its got somewhere, a start anyway, might just learn some who reckon petitions are useless summat.
Old 06-06-2008, 14:53   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ah good to hear its got somewhere, a start anyway, might just learn some who reckon petitions are useless summat.
People think online petitions are useless because they are so often collected but not then pushed in front of the noses of those they're meant to be addressing. The chancellor and vice chancellor couldn't really ignore this as an issue when we have a thousand strong petition and we've been stood outside their major meetings in t-shirts making them look bad. (I put mine on after the photo lol because i'd only just arrived).

I also went along to the Union Council meetings to speak as I am actually a student that has been on one of their courses, so I can speak from the heart and I'm quite brave haha (those meetings are scary!)

I hope it is all worthwhile that's all. As the article says, 6 staff have left voluntarily, and the university says the 'widening participation' schemes wont be affected, but this is a lie because I know that at least one of those who have left coordinates the widening participation scheme that I was on, and now they have lost her.

Shame really, but the university can only see one thing and that is the high profits they can make from the Management school and international students. For those who aren't aware of it, the management school is the best in the country, and has a massive interest from students all over the world, who's fee's are substantially higher than a student who lives in the country.
Old 06-06-2008, 15:05   #44
Resident Waffler

Well I hope it gets somewhere and I do wish I'd seen it earlier and could have promoted it a bit more. Do keep us informed.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 15:08   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Well I hope it gets somewhere and I do wish I'd seen it earlier and could have promoted it a bit more. Do keep us informed.
The thing that annoys me is that they KNEW I was from accyweb, because they let me introduce myself and people from accyweb said hello to me, so they were just being blatantly difficult. I couldn't be bothered messaging the moderators to beg for them to allow such an important matter to be discussed, but ironically the man leading the campaign is from burnley, so I thought it was a bit rude and embarrassing for him!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..