Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2008, 16:56   #1
God Member

Threat to the Department of Continuing Education

Hi, you might think that this is irrelevant to many of you seen as I am in Lancaster and you aren't, but I would really like to ask for your help right now.

The department of continuing education runs many schemes which help students like myself get into university through 'unconventional' methods, such as various study programs. Today there was a meeting because the jobs and courses are going to be cut as part time students are no longer seen as a value to the university in regards to business.

Many staff are having to seek new jobs after being with the department all their working lives, and courses are going to be cut short leaving many students with no qualification after years of hard work.

The department works very closely with many of Lancashire's further education institutions, and provides courses for students all over the country. Some of your children could one day benefit from one of their courses like I have, and actually receive the support many of us need in day to day life.

The department and people who are associated with it like myself are encouraging people who care about the future of the staff and students to sign a petition which is available at Lancaster University / Adult Education - Online Petition

It greatly upsets me that the woman who ran my course is now having to leave due to the uncertainty about her job stability. She's had to find a new job and now many students who were due to attend the summer course that got me my place at university will possibly miss out on this opportunity. She isn't the only member of staff who is having to find a new job because we are running out of time to do anything.

PLEASE sign the petition. It breaks my heart that this is happening when I have gained so much from the department, and we could really use the extra support.

Thanks everyone,

Michelle
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-04-2008, 17:01   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Threat to the Department of Continuing Education

Thats such a shame. I have signed.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 17:06   #3
God Member

Yes it is a shame further education should be available to as many as possible. I have signed it.
Old 30-04-2008, 17:11   #4
God Member

Unfortunately I was the only student my age who actually turned up to the meeting, so I am trying very hard to spread awareness through the student network.

There are many mature students on the courses that are under the most threat, and I think it is very important that we keep the doors open to students that aren't your typical 18 year old paying £3000 a year on a degree course. Variety is so very important and Lancaster is meant to be really good for accepting everyone.

I have cried about this because I do care so very dearly about it. We are going to be in the Lancaster Guardian and hopefully spread some awareness about it this way too, but we need as much regional support as we can get too!
Old 30-04-2008, 17:16   #5

i have signed
bernie94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 17:19   #6
Senior Member+

And me..................

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 17:28   #7

I've just signed it too. Many people opt for part-time courses so that they can work around school hours or work part-time as well so they can still support their family whilst in education.
Old 30-04-2008, 18:34   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

done n Dusted.
Old 30-04-2008, 19:04   #9
God Member

I have signed.
Old 30-04-2008, 19:45   #10

I have not signed yet but will do when I get time.

What a shame we don't have a Labour goverment - oh I forgot we do - allegedly.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 20:41   #11

Good for you taking action on this,,,,you go girl

Tracy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 21:20   #12
Senior Member+

Me signed too......
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 21:55   #13

me signed too...
pam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:38   #14
God Member

Thank you everyone who has signed so far, your names are all visible (unless anonymous) on the survey and it makes me very proud that people from accrington and the surrounding areas are putting their names to something so very important.

Just want to point out that this isn't my survey but one that the department itself has started to save their own jobs. I'm only trying to spread the message as much as possible so we get more signatures. We reached 500 online tonight, and we have hard copies floating around the university too. I am hoping (fingers crossed) that we can at least get another 250 online before its handed over, if not double and reach 1000.

Please mention it to your friends and family, we need all the support we can possibly get for this one.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:06   #15
Senior Member+

Signed xxx

p.s its 506 now

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..