Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 19:49   #16
God Member

Re: three children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Maybe this woman is at the end of her tether...maybe she has post natal psychosis.....whatever it is it must be very bad to do this to your own children.
Good post, Margaret.

I think you could be right.

People don't go round doing this to their children willy nilly, do they?

I don't think she can be of sound mind.
Accrington Web
Old 01-06-2008, 19:55   #17
Beacon of light

In one of the papers(if you believe what is written in the papers these days) she was desperate to go back to Sri Lanka, they had a business and a ring road had diverted a lot of their passing trade, and they were struggling to keep solvent...so her life was hard without the added burden of a baby.(and I mean that in the best possible sense)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 20:00   #18
God Member

Quote:
In one of the papers(if you believe what is written in the papers these days) she was desperate to go back to Sri Lanka, they had a business and a ring road had diverted a lot of their passing trade, and they were struggling to keep solvent...so her life was hard without the added burden of a baby.(and I mean that in the best possible sense)
I know what you mean, Margaret.

Seems like she's been at the end of her rope.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:22   #19
Senior Member+

Nothing too surprising really. Children are far more at risk of harm from members of their own family than they are from complete strangers. Philip Larkin had it spot on.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:26   #20
Beacon of light

Yes, you are right...but the fact that this lady has a six month old baby could possibly have a bearing on her sanity.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:31   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes, you are right...but the fact that this lady has a six month old baby could possibly have a bearing on her sanity.
More than likely Margaret, but then we always blame mental instability whenever family members (particularly parents) do things like this. It's easier for us as a society to blame individuals' state of mind, rather than question the so-called 'cornerstone of society'.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:35   #22
Beacon of light

It is hard for me to accept that a mother. especially one of an ethnnic background would inflict such terrible injuries on her children if she wasn't mentally unbalanced.
It is a very sad state of affairs. We shouldn't judge her without knowing more about what has gone on.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:37   #23
God Member

Quote:
It is hard for me to accept that a mother. especially one of an ethnnic background would inflict such terrible injuries on her children if she wasn't mentally unbalanced.
It is a very sad state of affairs. We shouldn't judge her without knowing more about what has gone on.
I totally agree, Margaret.

I find it hard to accept that a sane person would do this.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:42   #24
Senior Member+

There is absolutely no doubt that this story will result in a case of diminished responsibility, as it's always these kinds of stories that make the front pages. It's all part of 'the game'.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:45   #25
Beacon of light

And what game would that be then?
Parents do not murder their children for a game...and we must remember that we are in no position to judge on the limited information that is currently in the public domain.....what happened to 'Innocent, until proved guilty?'
Old 01-06-2008, 20:49   #26
God Member

Quote:
And what game would that be then?
Parents do not murder their children for a game.
Was just thinking that myself.

What game?

We play snakes and ladders, matching pairs and connect 4 with our children.

We don't try to hack them to pieces.

We're not at the end of our rope though.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:58   #27
Senior Member+

Hmmmm.... wrong end of the stick me thinks.

Never mind.
Old 01-06-2008, 23:27   #28
God Member

Hate to pipe up, but I absolutely hate it when people refer to claims of insanity and diminished responsibility as a game.

She's attacked and killed her own children. IF she claims diminished responsibility, she's still going to have a tarnished reputation and be lucky if she gets to keep the child that survived or live a normal life with it ever again.

Insanity isn't a game either, the sentencing is unpredictable and most people who are genuinely insane still prefer the full crime of murder just for the certainty of when they will be released from prison.

It really does irritate me how people can think these defenses are there to make life easier for criminals, when in reality they're probably more damaging than serving full time for the crime.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 23:57   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Hate to pipe up, but I absolutely hate it when people refer to claims of insanity and diminished responsibility as a game.

She's attacked and killed her own children.
Er...as of this moment she's still being questioned, and has been charged with nothing, nevermind been found guilty of any crime.

First lesson of law, innocent until proven guilty.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:47   #30
Senior Member+

I was actually referring to the way that the media selectively operates as 'a game', but it doesn't matter now.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..