Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 10:58   #31
God Member

Re: Three ways to die

Revealed: How health chiefs plan to put fluoride in half our water supply to halt tooth decay | Mail Online

They want you to stop drinking bottled water because the bottles need recycling, yet they are contemplating poisoning tap water.

The article does say that it wont be done in areas where residents dont want it.
I don't want this to be decided by a majority vote which will be swayed by people who haven't even been told of the risks - do you?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-08-2008, 11:06   #32
God Member

Will carry on buying bottled water, no faith in what they say so will make sure I'm not drinking!!
Old 04-08-2008, 13:43   #33
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Three ways to die

I’ve been arguing against the adding of fluoride to the water supply ever since the notion was first put forward and I am not alone.

I am against it for two reasons.

It cannot possibly be cost effective. You don’t need an ology to work out that only a small proportion of the water that you use in your home is actually drunk. I doubt if one person drinks the same amount that is used for one flush of the toilet. Then there is the bath/shower water, hands/face washing, the washing machine, washing up, mopping, car cleaning and garden watering. If I were to hazard an educated guess I would suggest that barely 5% of the water supplied to the average home is actually drunk at home and only half of that by children who MIGHT benefit. This means that some 95% of the cost of fluoridating the water supply is wasted. And guess who would pay for it? Some people and children have been known to react to excessive fluoride.

Then there is industry that uses the same water and I would dare to suggest that 99% of it is not drunk.

The other equally important, if not more important, reason is that on no account whatsoever should our drinking water be used to distribute involuntary medication to the masses. If nothing else it will establish a precedent so that in years to come when we, near or at the bottom of the pile get fed up of the way the country is being run and make vociferous demands for a better deal, our rumblings could be quelled with the introduction of a tranquilliser in the water.

If the Health Chiefs, BDA and government are so concerned about the health of kids’ teeth then the simplest and most cost effective solution is to supply fluoride toothpaste and a suitable brush to children under 16 years of age free of charge. To prevent exploitation these items would have to be specially manufactured under a specific and unique brand name. It was done with cigarettes and tobacco for the Royal Navy so there is no reason why it could not be done for fluoride toothpaste and brush. Thereafter they could get replacements by producing the empty toothpaste tube or worn out brush.

The issue should certainly not be put to local vote, primarily because far too many people cannot see any further than their own selfish nose.

Finally, weren’t there moves to fluoridate bottled water? What happened to that crackpot idea?
Old 04-08-2008, 14:37   #34
Loz

I'm the same as you Margeret.
I have nasty reactions to Antibiotics so will delay going to the docs as much as possible,i'm allergic to codeine and most painkillers so i tend to self medicate as much as possible,herbal remedies etc...
Because of the problems ive had with medication in the past,despite my doctors reassurances i'm very wary of going which isn't a good thing but it is easy to be put off.
Old 28-08-2008, 05:53   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
If I had not taken responsibily for my own health my remaining years of life would have been not worth living.

So that is why I take the trouble to put on here news about anything which I think may be causing all of us health damage.

I don't mind at all being labelled a hypochondriacal harbinger of doom
.... perhaps you will appreciate now why I do it
Keep up the good work Margaret.

I enjoy reading your threads, and save many of the websites to Favorites as a reminder of what I should be doing/avoiding.

I recently worked for in a payroll dept (in the UK) and lost what little confidence I had left in the present day National Health Service, when employees with genuine illnesses were misdiagnosed for months, then had to wait even longer for treatment.
Old 26-07-2009, 12:43   #36
God Member

Some good news
I never thought I would ever say this, but congratulations and thanks to the EU beaurocrats for this (only this one)

European Court ruling spells an end to fluoridation

There is fluoridation in the north east and the midlands.
Any beer brewed there will be illegal

just added that to get your attention

Old 26-07-2009, 19:42   #37

My first go on antibiotics and ive got oral thrush, if i still had a wife could i use a Canasten pessorie? , i realise its for the wrong end, i had a biotic Yoghurt this morning thinking my bacteria levels have been hammered out of existance which is the cause but it didnt help my throat, luckily it was full of sugar and Black Cherries so went down well.
spex357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 20:55   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spex357 View Post
My first go on antibiotics and ive got oral thrush, if i still had a wife could i use a Canasten pessorie? , i realise its for the wrong end, i had a biotic Yoghurt this morning thinking my bacteria levels have been hammered out of existance which is the cause but it didnt help my throat, luckily it was full of sugar and Black Cherries so went down well.
You wont get much in the way of probiotics from a commercial yogurt (if any)
What you need is Kefir yogurt - home made for the price of the milk

Dom's Kefir-making in-site

I make about a litre a week

Old 26-07-2009, 21:03   #39
white rabbits

When your numbers up you will go....NO HIDING PLACE!
Old 26-07-2009, 22:36   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by spex357 View Post
Daktarin oral gel, it's an over the counter med so you should be able to get it at any pharmacy.
Antibiotics have that effect on lots of people, maddening though it is!
Old 27-07-2009, 09:17   #41
Resting in Peace

To be quite honest I probable take more pills and potions which can cause thrush than most, but I've never had it, I was told very early on in my illness to always drink half a pint of water after every dose of meds which I do and as a norm I drink over 2 litres of water a day, which also helps
Old 04-08-2009, 06:57   #42
God Member

More good news
...it looks like aspartamine will be banned in USA (and likely here too)
Samuel S. Epstein: An Overdue Ban On A Dangerous Sweetener
Under the explicit provisions of the 1958 Delaney Law, which requires an automatic ban on carcinogenic food additives, it is anticipated that Dr. Margaret Hamburg, the newly appointed FDA Commissioner and inspiring public health advocate, will promptly ban the continued use of aspartame.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:47   #43
JFT96

Good, I first heard about the effects of Aspartame and the dangers it contains on World in Action many any years ago. About bloody time.
Goodness, Margaret, we both agree on something!!!

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:16   #44
Senior Member+

Do we not have floride in our water supply at the moment? all be it a small amount.

United Utilities: Water quality detail

Good to see there is action being taken against it.

Aspartamine, about time thing where done for this, I found this to be in childrens vitamines at ASDA, but they removed it from there own fizzy drinks even with a lable stating No Aspartamine, why still have it in there OWN BRAND CHILDRENS VITAMINS??

I also Find MOST Diet/Low Sugar drinks (Espec Coke) contain it.

Is there not also another name for it?

Hope they start looking at MSG'S aswell (Not to sure about these as still doing my research but they seem to be bad for you and in a lot of food).
***Mr D*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:04   #45
God Member

Some water supplies naturally contain fluoride, but it is not the same chemical as the chemical waste byproduct that some authorities are deliberately adding.

http://www.tpuc.org/content/fluoride-bbc5tv-report

Last edited by MargaretR; 04-08-2009 at 10:09.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..