Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 17:35   #16
Member.

Re: Thunder Rolling In..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
You leave my trees alone. They're looking lovely at the minute and the murdered one might have a bit of life left in yet.

What a great way to waste a Sunday afternoon, trying to photograph some lightening! Im-bloody-possible lol! Got some nice pics of the area though even if they are a bit dark.
If the roots intact it will come back, but slowly. Don’t force it and don’t use manure on it. If you what to help it along a bit of liquid Tomato food about 18” away from the stem, depending on the extent of the root it should make the effort.

You could make a small offering and send up a prayer or incantation for it to grow back but you would need to stand naked in front of your tree at four in the morning for at least half an hour repeating your incantation with an earnest expression on your face. Or you could pay me two hundred quid to come and do it for you.

Thunder over Accy from Green Howarth or better still from the coppice is a fantastic sight. It really is one of those things I miss. I hope someone managed to get a couple of decent shots. If you go back up girls stay in the car don’t take chances.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-07-2006, 18:17   #17
God Member

blimey it's back for another shot now!! this is the best thunder storm for ages........ i dont think the thunder has actually stopped rumbling yet all afternoon. The lightening is pretty decent too LOVIN IT

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 18:28   #18
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
blimey it's back for another shot now!! this is the best thunder storm for ages........ i dont think the thunder has actually stopped rumbling yet all afternoon. The lightening is pretty decent too LOVIN IT
It’s not nice here, the sun is still shining and it’s still very warm and uncomfortably so. I have a very large fan going hell for leather and have seriously dented a bottle of Southern comfort with lots of Ice and Ginger Ale. I really do hope the thunder leaves you and progresses North West, we really could do with the air clearing.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 02-07-2006, 18:30   #19
God Member

please send it to blackpool i aint seen a good thunder storm in ages
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 18:31   #20
God Member

Just heard that apparently someone got struck by lightening this afternoon in Great Harwood. As lovely as it looks, we have to realise how dangerous it can be too...... I do hope they are ok.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 18:32   #21
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee
please send it to blackpool i aint seen a good thunder storm in ages
What are you doing up here? ****** off......

Sorry, just playing Where abouts are you?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 02-07-2006, 18:33   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Just heard that apparently someone got struck by lightening this afternoon in Great Harwood. As lovely as it looks, we have to realise how dangerous it can be too...... I do hope they are ok.
gf said that a garage was set on fire in gt harwood this aft the ones near the old co-op not heard anything about a person though,,,

my poor lil doggies aint lovin this there shatting themselves

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 18:34   #23
God Member

southshore doug just off haweside lane
Old 02-07-2006, 18:46   #24
Member.

Quote:
I can remember standing behind the garages that stood at the end of Miller Fold in a horrendous thunder storm; you couldn’t see the other side of the street through the rain that fell that afternoon. A calf had been struck by lightening under a line of trees that ran away from the garages up to the base of Nelson’s Hill.

Its Mother was very attentive standing over it. I stood in the rain and chaos that afternoon comforting the mother, unable to leave it, my mother had to walk down Willows Lane to where Farmer Nelson lived, he came and took the calf away; I was gutted by the experience, but also enlightened to my mothers caring side and understanding that day, she later battered me for standing in a thunder storm but she took the time to wait until I had got over the death of the calf.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 02-07-2006, 18:46   #25
God Member

the skatepark in great harwood was struck by lightening and unfortunately some garages close by too!! The skatepark was burnt to a cinder along with the garages. My son went up to have a look and there was no mention of anyone being hurt and no ambulances around although he did say their was a hamster cage visable in one of the sheds or whatever they were, hope there was no hamster!!!!!!!

As it started I was with a friend up at the houghton arms having lunch outside. We had finished eating when we heard the rumblings, just finishing our drinks when the first little drops of rain started, left and had just got back in the car when the heavens opened.

We aquaplaned our way back on the M65 (great fun ) but I was surprised at how many people had pulled over onto the hardshoulder because of the rain. In fact I think there were more cars on hardshoulder than were driving!!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 18:47   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN RAVER
gf said that a garage was set on fire in gt harwood this aft the ones near the old co-op not heard anything about a person though,,,

my poor lil doggies aint lovin this there shatting themselves
Ahhhh so that answers the fire in Gt harwood we could see that from here lol
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 18:50   #27
God Member

really heavy flooding in haslingden and other areas according to the news
Old 02-07-2006, 18:57   #28
I am Banned

Not surprised most of the heavy concentration of the storms were Haslingden & rossendale area
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 20:43   #29
God Member

Awww Doug that is so sad with the calf The gee gee's were out up Green Howarth but didn't seem to phased by any of it.

I don't know about any of you affected by the weather, but my head is still banging!
Old 02-07-2006, 21:30   #30
Passed away 25-11-09

Rain-storm? Oh boy!

I was invited to an early evening party, 2 miles away. I set off at 5.15. At 5.18 the heavens opened and I could barely see to drive. I arrived outside my friends' drive, which is in a hollow, and I couldn't get out of the car as it was raining so hard and thundering and lightning like mad. The water was soon nearly up to the top of my car's wheels and the rain was showing no sign of stopping so I thought I'd go home until it stopped, rather than sit there for God knew how long. The drive back was a nightmare, everywhere was flooded, and my own road, which is a slight hill, looked like a river. I had to sit on my own drive for nearly 10 minutes as I would have been soaked just getting into the house. When I did get in, my patio was under about 5" of water and I had a moat round my kitchen door. I eventually got to the party at 6.45, by which time the sun was out again and everywhere was drying out.

I've seen rain like that in Malta, once, but I can't ever remember seeing it in this country before, not to the extent of flooding all the roads in less than 10 minutes. As I'm about 40 miles from Accrington it looks like the storm covered a big area.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..