Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2004, 11:25   #1

to get preston to accrington bus reinstaded

when stagecoach withdrew all x63 serve to preston to accrington/burnley
i live in preston but have reltaion in accy to see
the service was good but how can we get this service back and to they to make a profit
how many people use a train to accy to preston /would you you a bus as well
would few service like this will do
accy bs,blacburn,preston,bs.chorley bs
preston ,blacburn,accy,burnlry,leeds
all run mon sun and bank holiday
all extend the x59 to accy
can anone who is bus facnatic let me know of service number of accy to preston route before the x63 came out thank any idea would be wellcome
new accy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-04-2004, 12:57   #2
God Member

Re: to get preston to accrington bus reinstaded

I've tried to make sense of the above, but can't. Is it supposed to be a poem?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2004, 18:23   #3
Senior Member+

Not sure Tea,I had a go but got lost,timetables never were a strong point!
Old 04-05-2004, 15:44   #4
God Member

If they droppped the route it must not have been making money.. the only way they will put it back is if ya can show it will make a profit.. can't see it really.

We used to use the tain years ago (pre car) to go back to Preston.. If you have a pram you cant get off the platform (at preston) without using steps.. that was ten years ago... BR said they would do summat about it.... Not been on the station but guessing they havent.
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 16:13   #5
God Member

The train from Accy normally pulls in at platform 1....the only exits are up & over steps or down & under (more steps).....there may be a lift, but I dunno where. I doubt if someone is going to invest in a tramlink which will compete with the bus and train service, both currently requiring public subsidies to the private operators. (I think the East Lancs Line subsidy is about 12p per passenger mile). There was a call over the weekend to shut down all uneconomic branch lines & just keep the main lines running, so you never know - we may end up just with a bus service!
Old 04-05-2004, 22:11   #6
Senior Member+

Hi, dunno what you are all talking about, but... I do know there is a lift for passengers at Preston station.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:22   #7
God Member

Well I've never seen it and I've been changing at Preston station every fortnight for the last 25 years....what have I missed?
Old 05-05-2004, 08:27   #8
Senior Member+

Not a lot, it is rather creepy, you go down onto Platform 4 and half way down you will see the lift (bit smelly sometimes!) it takes you to all platforms and to Butler Street where Fishergate Shopping centre is, but I think you have to go with rail staff rather than on your own!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:33   #9
God Member

OK..I know the lift on platform 4....but what about between platform 1 & 2 - the platforms the trains use for coming from/going to Accy? The options are either to go up and down the steps over the bridge from the entrance or to go down the ramp on platform 3/4 (or use the lift there) and then have to come up the steps on platform 1/2.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:50   #10

On a previous visit to the Record Office, I wanted to leave a suitcase in the left luggage office at Preston. Yep, you guessed it, they haven't got one of those.

I had a slightly difficult negotiation with the landlady of my B&B, who very kindly allowed me to leave my luggage at the B&B. She promised me that she would be there at 4pm so I could collect my luggage and catch the train. The arrangements worked perfectly, but it could have been so different.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..