Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Today's EU question: how would you vote if todays motionable Q is out to a referendum
Out 22 78.57%
In with reform 4 14.29%
In (as we are) 1 3.57%
Wouldn't vote 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2011, 08:21   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: Today's EU question: how would you vote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
From the smug political spin, I'm just making a wild guess our M.P. voted against us having our say in a referendum.

As stated earlier, I will never again vote for anyone who doesn't actively support a referendum on E.U. membership.

So, even though I've voted Labour ever since I first could, in 1983, other than voting for Ken Livingstone as an independent, and for Britcliffe, once tactically, so I could perhaps help Graham's chances, it's a from me.
When it comes to the next election, maybe Graham want be at all surprised (if Hyndburn still has a seat that is) if a lot of people say NO to him.
Old 25-10-2011, 08:24   #77
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Obviously from the tone of Graham Jones's merry little quips on twitter he feels it's a good night's work. Ingratiated himself with his political masters and scored a few cheap points against the Tories. Job done.

I would suggest that there will be consequences for him and others further down the line. When our rulers in Brussels have forced us to provide a full range of benefits to any EU citizen who pitches up here whether or not they've worked in or have any connection with this country and this is allied with an expansion to take in a number of Eastern European states, anti-EU sentiment will be on the rise. And people will not forget this night's work from Mr Jones and his ilk.
Does that really surprise you Wyn, Graham as only ever been interested in scoring points against the Tories, even as a councillor.
Old 25-10-2011, 08:30   #78
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Anyone from the Labour party is free to p.m. me for my address.

They can help save the rain forests by not posting anything through my door, and also save themselves getting a massive headache, as I'd loudly tell them where they can go.
That would be an utter waste of time Rindi, I usually get a huge hand full of leaflets, sorry you were out cards etc, at most elections, think its called taking the urine, to me its in keeping what Labour do best, wasting money
Old 25-10-2011, 08:40   #79
Senior Member+

When you put the Party before the People Graham...you show yourself in your true colours!

This is much more of a disaster for Labour than you think..but you will find out down the line! At least some of the tories displayed bottle.

Lib/Dems...well they already sold their souls anyway.

Bet Nigel Farage is having a right old chuckle!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 13:20   #80
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Maybe you should know the view taken by conspiracy theorists

The top politicians in all European countries are 'obliged' to comply with the long term planning towards the New World Order (world government). United States of Europe is a step towards that end.

So their attempts to salvage the sinking ship of the EU is understandable.
They all have had 'offers that can't be refused'

The real control is in the hands of the Rothschild dynasty - the bwankers.
"Yes Minister" wasn't far off the mark with it's idea that the MP follows instruction from those who work for him.

If you put a frog in a pan of boiling water it will jump out. If you put a frog in a pan of cold water and gently heat it the frog will be lulled into a false sense of security and end up being boiled to death.

The Common Market was our pan of cold water and now it's getting to boiling point with the EU and nobody is jumping out.

I'm beginning to sound like Eric Cantona!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 17:54   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
"Yes Minister" wasn't far off the mark with it's idea that the MP follows instruction from those who work for him.

If you put a frog in a pan of boiling water it will jump out. If you put a frog in a pan of cold water and gently heat it the frog will be lulled into a false sense of security and end up being boiled to death.

The Common Market was our pan of cold water and now it's getting to boiling point with the EU and nobody is jumping out.

I'm beginning to sound like Eric Cantona!
Cantona or no Cantona, your very near the mark with that
Old 25-10-2011, 18:29   #82
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
When you put the Party before the People Graham...you show yourself in your true colours!

This is much more of a disaster for Labour than you think..but you will find out down the line! At least some of the tories displayed bottle.

Lib/Dems...well they already sold their souls anyway.

Bet Nigel Farage is having a right old chuckle!

Best Regards - Taggy
Labour's promise at the last election was NO to an EU referendum. You may not like it, but I did what I promised. I hope you can concede that at the very least.

Whatever my own feelings I don't think knee jerk opportunistic u-turns are the answer. Besides there was no credible argument, just a disorganised incoherent ramble from the likes of Mr Nuttall, Mr Jackson and Co.

In the end it is about taking the tough and unpopular decisions but which are in the areas best interests. I believe without a shadow of doubt I did that. Some may disagree and they have their vote at future elections. I have said this many times, on these occasions, votes don't inform my decision. I expect to lose on the cross on belief and principle.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 18:32   #83
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Labour's promise at the last election was NO to an EU referendum. You may not like it, but I did what I promised. I hope you can concede that at the very least.

Whatever my own feelings I don't think knee jerk opportunistic u-turns are the answer. Besides there was no credible argument, just a disorganised incoherent ramble from the likes of Mr Nuttall, Mr Jackson and Co.

In the end it is about taking the tough and unpopular decisions but which are in the areas best interests. I believe without a shadow of doubt I did that. Some may disagree and they have their vote at future elections. I have said this many times, on these occasions, votes don't inform my decision. I expect to lose on the cross on belief and principle.
So what your saying is you don't give a stuff for the people of Hyndburn and will always toe the party line, wonderful
Old 25-10-2011, 18:39   #84
Give, give, give member

Quote:

What a noble speech.

You showed such bravery!

Sticking to your principles, rather than doing what was right for democracy.

I'm sure we are all very touched by your humble, self-effacing words.

I'm filling up, I'm so moved

Just one question.

If you'd already decided you were voting against giving us a referendum, why on earth bother posting your poll question on here yesterday?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 18:45   #85
Give, give, give member

Man of the people!

Sadly those people don't live in Hyndburn.

Unless the swankier parts of Islington find they're soon to be moved north to Lancashire, following recommendations by the Boundary Commission.

Old 25-10-2011, 19:03   #86
Senior Member+

Quote:

The credible argument Graham, is that it is what the vast majority of the public want including your constituents! Its not knee jerk reaction when you give the public a chance to express their opinion on something that is so radically different to what they voted on when they voted to become part of the then "Common Market"

The majority of today's electorate have never had this opportunity...i'm 54 years old & was too young at the time. The goalposts have moved so many times that the agreements in place today are unrecognisable from what the British people voted on before.

I dont for one minute believe that on THIS occasion you have done what you think is best for the people of Hyndburn. You have put your party before the people, some politicians always feel quite comfortable in early & mid term periods of the parliamentary cycle, however the public have longer memories than are given credit for, certainly if they feel they are being treated as irrelevant!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 19:05   #87
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Now the tears have dried, and I'm able to read properly once more, that's a great speech.

A classic.

Some might even think it connects more to peoples' ideas about idealism and truth, than that 'I have a dream' yarn, by that American doctor bloke. (Dr. Luther Vandross?)

You should have it printed, and use it on things.

Christmas cards, election paphlets, tea towels.

Old 25-10-2011, 19:12   #88
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
The credible argument Graham, is that it is what the vast majority of the public want including your constituents! Its not knee jerk reaction when you give the public a chance to express their opinion on something that is so radically different to what they voted on when they voted to become part of the then "Common Market"

The majority of today's electorate have never had this opportunity...i'm 54 years old & was too young at the time. The goalposts have moved so many times that the agreements in place today are unrecognisable from what the British people voted on before.

I dont for one minute believe that on THIS occasion you have done what you think is best for the people of Hyndburn. You have put your party before the people, some politicians always feel quite comfortable in early & mid term periods of the parliamentary cycle, however the public have longer memories than are given credit for, certainly if they feel they are being treated as irrelevant!

Best Regards - Taggy
Bang on the nose.

This isn't about the arguments, as to the pros and cons of the E.U.

It's about the democratic right for everyone to decide what they want our future to be.

British people fought and died, and were victorious against those who wanted people silenced.

Now it's us who've been silenced.

Or at least that's what an elitist few have attempted to do.

Well it ain't working.

People are angry.

Tweet that!

Old 25-10-2011, 19:13   #89
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

In the end the "Only" relevant question is- An MPs main funtion is to represent his constituents is it not? well if you can demonstrate a Hyndburn majority then yeh have performed that funtion. simple as.
Old 25-10-2011, 19:25   #90
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Since posting this on October 10th.

Quote:
I personally have no objection to a simple in out vote. Settles the issue democratically.

What happened to the democracy you talked about?

At least attempt at being consistent in what you say.

Folk round here aren't half as stupid as you seem to think.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..