Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2007, 16:20   #1
Yank in King Art's Court!

Tough time in Virginia, USA!

Hey Accyweb family!

Following news that ~21 kids have been either shot or injured at the Virginia Tech university. At least 2 have been killed. One of Annie's (and our) favorite guys is currently in a lock down in the engineering building where some of the shootings have occurred. I just was IMing with Scotty (the guy in the pic). So at least he is alright. Not sure about the many other kids from Culpeper who go to this college.

Cindy works for Virginia Tech at their Cooperative Extension Agency here locally.

Also, the weather, especially the wind is just wicked. Many trees down and some building damage.

Brian

Update, the news conference now says that at least 20 kids are dead!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScottynAnnieBall.jpg (87.0 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by LancYorkYankee; 16-04-2007 at 16:25. Reason: Addition!
LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-04-2007, 16:50   #2

Re: Tough time in Virginia, USA!

The most recent info is now 22 are dead and 21 wounded! This is now become an incredibly horrible tragedy!

I guess I feel a bit like you guys did after the bombings in England almost 2 years back. I'm sick to my stomach . Off to get more info. and to clear some trees from the road. Then to tell the kids .

Old 16-04-2007, 17:05   #3
Give, give, give member

That's really sad news.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 17:09   #4
God Member

Terrible news.
Old 16-04-2007, 17:16   #5
Senior Member+

how awful

our thoughts are with you all
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 17:44   #6

Now it's up to 32 fatalities! Looks like 2 heavily armed "gunmen!" I'm too distracted to do much outside plus it's really to dangerous with winds gusting up to 60 miles per hour!

Last edited by LancYorkYankee; 16-04-2007 at 17:45. Reason: Additions.
Old 16-04-2007, 17:44   #7
Senior Member+

its such a shame - they're sayin the shooter was some asian/oriental guy

its such a tragedy that people feel the have to resort to this.

surely now america has to realise stricter gun control is the way forward regardless what alot of those republican loones say
Old 16-04-2007, 17:52   #8

Oh Mani, evil is evil! The kind of guns that would have done so much damage aren't the type you can buy from your local 7-eleven. People sick enough to do this kind of stuff can find all kinds of ways to commit such horrendous deeds.

Whether poisoning the water supply, cafetaria food, mixing fertilizers for explosives, . . ah forget it not in the mood to get into that. Although not a "republican loone" I do support the right to bear arms.

Now back to the tragedy at hand. Have yet to hear from a couple of Annie's close friends. Hopefully do to lock down they're not able to get messages out.

Old 16-04-2007, 18:13   #9
Senior Member+

hmmm on the bbc website there's a few really moving accounts of eye witness accounts

apparently the oriental fella killed his family last nite b4 doin this?
Old 16-04-2007, 18:32   #10
Resident Waffler

Oh Brian that's awful. I hadn't heard any news today. What on earth can possess people to do something like that.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 18:43   #11
mez
God Member

oh brian how awful for you & yours hope you are all ok, my heart goes out to all people concerned in this horrific shooting.....

hope the winds have not done too much damage ......our thoughts are with you all ....love from the accywebbers x x x
Old 16-04-2007, 18:58   #12
God Member

What a nightmare...my thoughts and love go out to all those affected by this atrocity... its just beyond comprehension that someone could walk into a place and just start killing like that

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 19:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
surely now america has to realise stricter gun control is the way forward regardless what alot of those republican loones say
Gun laws vary across the country. It's interesting to note that the jurisdictions with the strictest laws, (such as Washington DC for example), are also those with the highest crime rates.

Guess it was just an oversight that you failed to mention the Democrat loonies who are also strong supporters of the Second Amendment, eh?
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 19:12   #14
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

apparently the oriental fella killed his family last nite b4 doin this?
I think it was some other guy they were referring to who did that, a similar previous mass killing. This guy wasn't married was he?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 19:21   #15
God Member

Its really quite shocking, I can't believe it, but I also can't believe that the USA does not have stricter gun laws.

I really don't think the founding fathers envisaged how the second amendment would impact life in the far future (ie now). I think it was more for the times of the original foundation when things were still unstable and developing, but now the USA is a huge thriving country and its just really not the kind of place for people to be carrying guns around.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..