Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2004, 20:40   #1

tour of britain, passes accy?

Apparently the tour of britain passes accy tomorrow at about 11am.

Anyone know whereabouts they pass.

The tour of britain sets off from manchester and finishes in london, it has 5 stages and the first one kicks off tomorrow. It passes by bury,haslingdon, accy, preston, blackpool and round again.
slater_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-09-2004, 01:03   #2
Senior Member+

Re: tour of britain, passes accy?

There is a sign up in front of the Park Inn on Manchester Road, saying it will be passing there Wed 1st Sept. It does give the approx. times, but I have forgotten what it says - Shall I have a wander and let you know what it says?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 08:33   #3

If you will, whereabouts is this pub, is manchester road the road where the old fire station was?
Old 01-09-2004, 08:39   #4
Senior Member+

Hi, it says
TOUR OF BRITAIN CYCLE RACE

DELAYS POSSIBLE BETWEEN 11.00 AND 12.30

TEL: 01932 268732
www.tourofbritain.co.uk

Yep, its on a lamp post in front of the Park Inn, which is just higher up Manchester Road from where the old Fire Station was.

You gonna go and watch?
Old 01-09-2004, 08:40   #5

Yeah i may as well nowt else to do. I think some of the gold medalists from olympics are racing for the english teams.
Old 01-09-2004, 15:01   #6
I am Band

Did anyone take the time to watch the Tour of Britain pass through Accy?

If i was back in Blighty, I intended to go take a trip on my pedallo, and watch the Tour ascend the Nick o' Pendle. Speaking from experience, it's a bitch of a climb, a real lung buster. It was one of two 'category one' climbs on the opening stage from Manchester.

Some of Britain' finest cyclists including Bradley Wiggins, Britain's triple Olympic medallist, were due to take part, along with a number of recognised riders from the professional ranks.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!

Last edited by Sparkologist; 01-09-2004 at 15:57. Reason: Diabolical punctuation.
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 15:38   #7
God Member

Its now wed at 4.30 pm and I only just seen this thread and thus only just hard about it all. Like most things in hyndburn we get to hear about them after the event.
Old 01-09-2004, 15:48   #8
Senior Member+

Remember, I am NOT a David Bailey, the sun was in the wrong place, but .. .better than nothing I suppose....
Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cyclerace3_resize.JPG (89.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg cyclerace_resize.JPG (90.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-09-2004, 22:42   #9
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I took the time to watch as it came past my workplace (Hollands Pies) at 11.00ish 3 riders and cars came past then about 30 mins later the rest of the riders (pelaton) passed us, I thought it was quite impressive, the full works, motorbikes, cars with cycles on top, Manchester road was deserted of cars, just like watching the Tour De France even Laurence Armstrong's US Postal team had riders cycling.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 05:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah
Remember, I am NOT a David Bailey, the sun was in the wrong place, but .. .better than nothing I suppose....
Atarah
Good effort Atarah...at least I can see that they had been in Accy.

(The sun wasn't in the wrong place...your camera was )
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:41   #11
Resident Waffler

I think I noticed something whizzing along Eastgate but was out shopping for kids 'return to school new shoes and trainers' at the time. Talk about an ordeal!!!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..