Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2004, 12:42   #16
Member.

Re: Tourism in Accy

You people and those who live around you put the nice people of HBC in the Jobs they hold. They are your representatives, you don't need me to tell you this......Kick some A***s around there and let them know you are not happy....let them know that they are not necessarily safe come the election....See what Happens.

If the people of this site and or, the people of Accrington are that despondent then it's time for the little people to stand up and challenge the system. You may not win, but you will be heard and that's when those that can win get off there backsides....

Come on Shortstuff, I'll hold ya coat..........
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-07-2004, 12:42   #17
Member.

We need to have pride in who and what we are......When I joined this site a lot of people helped me, mostly through the pm system. So people in general didn't know just what level of help and support I received, I can tell you that their help and support made me cry…not because I’m soft, because I certainly am not. It was pride...a group of people I’ve never met went out of their way to help me. My people, the people of Accrington and her satellites. YOU PEOPLE. Have some pride in yourselves and get your town back.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 12:44   #18

In reality HBC is US...or they represent US....Apathy is when we believe that the responsibility is somebody elses.

But CJ, we should be the ones who get HBC changed to do what we think is right and not believe what they say, but by the results they produce.

OK, I'm not on my soap-box and actually I think yourself, myself, a couple of others all have the right opinion on the matter. It simply boils down to; "who is going to do what about it" . We can all complain, and often do, but when it comes down to "push not shove" we are limited to what we can actually do. I'm in E. Germany, Doug is elsewhere, you're somewhere in Accy (I believe), and many others (JohnW etc.) are spread around.
With the best will in the world, we are very limited!! But there's always the power of the pen!! And that's perhaps somewhere where we can be effective.

Besides some of us have to work as well!

There are non so blind as those who cannot / will not see.!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 12:49   #19
God Member

Quote:
Besides some of us have to work as well
Meaning what exactly?
Old 15-07-2004, 16:17   #20
God Member

Accy Razed, just for Ceejache.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VIADUCTx2.jpg (66.4 KB, 18 views)
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 18:51   #21

The views I expressed concerning apathy were meant to represent the majority of residents and not myself. I certainly do care about local/national and global issues and I have always hated injustice with a passion - I am certainly not blind thanks Darby!

The thing is though - who really has the time to really get on the cases of 'them'. In this increasingly hectic world of work, family, social and pastime it is surely hard for people to find time to carry out such action. It is a shame but I think that is the way most people feel. Others obviously couldn't care less what is going on around them as long as they are ok.....

Maybe instead of posting on here I will bombard the HBC website stating my concerns - that is something all of us contributors can do eh? It probably wont make a difference but like Doug and Darby said it will let them know that we aren't gonna sit and take it up the arse - I'm willing to give it a try (e-mailing HBC that is.....!)

Just off to read my Che Guevara book.......
Old 15-07-2004, 18:53   #22

Thanks Acryllic.....! Thought you'd messed around with photoshop looking at the thumbnail, then realised it was some other viaduct!
Old 15-07-2004, 19:26   #23
God Member

Funny that, coincidental you might say.

I have just been to the council website to retrieve the email address of my councillor and have just sent a very sweetly worded note asking him to come along and have a look at our threads. I'm not going to hold my breath while I wait for a reply though.

I have a question for you all, do you think I should copy this message to all councillors or would you each prefer to approach your own councillor on your own?

Ceejache, please don't stop posting here. We need to keep everyone together, and for everyone to do whatever they feel they can. And whether that is a little or a lot, is not really important. What is important is the community. The community of likeminded individuals who can act together to produce change. Of course we may fight like cats in a bag from time to time, so what, we are human and that is what humans do.

I think that your idea to bombard the council with emails is brilliant. I'd be more than happy to join in with that. I think that we should do all the community groups too.

Some letters to the editors of The Observer and The Telegraph would be a good move too, especially if they contained the Accyweb address.

A list of demands might also be a good idea.

We could also do with someone who is prepared to be a 'face' for our community. A real people person, but someone preferably with a tongue like a chainsaw for when the need arises.

When I started this thread this morning I never expected that it would provoke such a passionate response. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised and grateful to all of you who have taken the time to contribute. Don't stop now, were only just getting going, there is a lot to do.
Old 15-07-2004, 19:48   #24

Good stuff....might as well copy the message to all councillors and we can email them ourselves as well. I am willing to write letters and send emails no problem - I am away tomorrow for the weekend (Thame in Oxfordshire....now that place is nice) but will start being a thorn in collective backsides upon my return - my first demand will be a breakdown of the £30,000 it took for the cog to be installed.

I had no intention of quitting here Acryllic.....what I meant was that maybe I should spend less time posting here when I could spend it pestering HBC via t'internet....sorry if it read like I was inferring otherwise! Yeah, we sometimes have digs but I know people dont really take it that serious when it does happen.....with forums it is also hard to express 'tone of voice' in one's message if you will!
Old 15-07-2004, 20:17   #25
God Member

Brilliant! copies are going in the morning.

It feels good to be doing something. This town has been my home for most of the past forty-eight years, and during that time I have veered from loving it to hating it and back again so many times I have lost count.

Jeanette Winterson had it just about right, I think, when she described Accrington as " A town without glamour or excitement." It's just my home. I don't need it to be either glamorous or exciting, I can go to visit other places for that. I just want it to be right, which it isn't at the moment.
Old 15-07-2004, 20:37   #26
God Member

So your plan is to attack the council and the observer by bombarding them with emails and letters and being a thorn in there backside (as you put it) and demanding to know X,Y and Z. Having read the thread that seems to be your intentions.. Not only that. but you also intend to use accyweb address and tell them to come here and look at the threads.

Is that right?

Wouldn't a polite letter to the person responsible asking them the same question get better results?
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 20:38   #27
Resident Waffler

I don't think it's asking too much for the town to be kept clean. Not long ago I visited Peterborough and didn't see one scrap of litter or dog mess in the town. I'm not saying people didn't drop any but there were street cleaners in evidence all the time.

I know we do have street cleaners here but there doesn't seem to be enough of them to keep on top of things.

Also I've noticed a lot of boarded up (council?) property which gives the place a derelict appearance. If we got rid of the houses which are falling down, did up the ones which could be habitable and kept the town clean it would go a long way to attracting visitors. Then we could look at feature attractions after that.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 20:54   #28
God Member

No we don't intend to 'attack' the council. But we do intend to let as many people as possible know about our concerns. Yes we will be demanding answers to questions, as is our democratic right. Do you see anything wrong in promoting the forum through letters to the editors of the local press? I don't. Perhaps it may go some way to persuading them to allow a link to their websites. Polite letters are what we will write. Though I think it's a bit odd you should think that we would write anything else.
Old 15-07-2004, 21:03   #29
God Member

I dont think you would write anything other than a polite letter...why put words in my mouth.. It was the AMOUNT of letters.. I was merely suggesting a less aggresive aproach and that one letter may get you the answers you want..

Sorry i spoke
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 21:16   #30
God Member

Fair point, no need to apologise.

To be flippant for a moment, I prefer the Cecil B. de Mille approach myself; "Start with an earthquake and build to a climax!" But then I have never taken anything seriously, except the people and places that I care about, and I find to my surprise that I do care about this town. And it was your thread that helped push the realisation to the fore. Thanks mate!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..