Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2004, 21:31   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: Tourism in Accy

At least you're not being apathetic are you Bob?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-07-2004, 05:32   #32
God Member

No, I am trying not to be.

I look at things this way; I am just an ordinary bloke, there is nothing special about me, but if by a little work and the use of what skills I have I am able to make a difference, however small, then that has surely got be worth more than just sitting on my bum and chucking the odd sarky comment into the debate, which is what I usually do. And if I can do that, then anyone else can do it too!

I don't want to set myself up as a shining example of civic mindedness, or anything like that. I just want to see what 'I' can do.

To be honest, I have been fed the ' there's nothing you can do, don't make waves.' line for the last forty odd years and, to my shame, I swallowed it. During that time I have watched the town slide further and further. I realise now that the only way to get something done is to get off your bum and do it yourself, because if you wait for someone else to do it, it just won't get done.

Perhaps getting older and more cantankerous has something to do with it. Or it may be that I don't think that I have too many more years of useful life left and I want to make the most of what remains. But I would like to make some difference. Even if that is only in encouraging others to have a go.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 07:01   #33
Resident Waffler

That makes sense.

Also if you look at it from HBC point of view ........... if they do something which they think is a good idea or what they think the people of Hyndburn want (such as removing a clock which people have grumbled about since the day it was put there) and no-one says anything to the contrary to them but simply mutters and grumbles amongst themselves then the council will never know that they HAVEN'T acted with our approval.

If on the other hand a number of people voice their opinions to the contrary and either write to or email the council then at least they'll be aware of public opinion. The more people who say to the council "Oi, we liked that!" then the more they will realise what public opinion in Hyndburn is.

It's OK just saying "vote them out if you don't like what they do" but if they don't know what we'd like them to do then voting in a different lot wouldn't necessarily improve things in the direction we want.

I think what I'm really trying to say here is "good on yer Bob"

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 08:26   #34

Maybe the word 'Bombard' and the phrase 'thorn in the backsides' were a little too aggressive I admit but were not meant to be taken literally. I have no intention of writing wrathful emails or such demanding this, that and t'other, I have never been anything other than polite when dealing with people, authority etc as I have never felt that an aggressive attitude gets one anywhere in situations. Indeed it would be pointless to attack the Accy Observer with mail as they have no sway in the scheme of things, a couple of letters printed in the relevant pages of said newspaper might bring the issues to the attention of a wider audience however. One letter to the council will probably not get an adequate response or even A response, but as residents and taxpayers we are entitled to do whatever is neccessary within law to gain answers to questions on issues which affect us - we would just be exercising our democratic right and if it takes countless letters and emails then so be it. If we got replies to our questions after one such correspondance then great.....but I feel that it will take some badgering on our part and if that is so then so be it!
Old 16-07-2004, 08:33   #35

I think the idea of asking them to visit and read some of the threads would show HBC that the lack of faith shown in them as administrative representatives of the borough is widespread and disturbing. As long as no-one has posted slanderous and offensive musings concerning their 'rule' then I don't see a problem.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..