Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2011, 12:40   #241
God Member

Re: Town Centre Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Tesco, wind farms.

If only the Panopticon had attached a million pound 'gift' with their proposal, we'd have a lovely art work a' top the Coppice today.

Seems our council's a bit of a whore.

Stick a few notes down it's g-string, and your wishes will be their command.

Every major build anywhere in the country has also got to contribute money to the local council. It's called 106 money (presumably because that's the standard clause in the contract). This has to be (if memory serves me correctly which someone in the council could probably verify for me) 1% of the cost of the build. This money goes to the council and can be used for anything but is most commonly used to 'decorate' (for want of a better word) the area around the new build i.e. tree planting, grass verges, artwork, fixing up nearby buildings, road alterations etc.

It's not just Tesco that has to pay it, it's a condition of any big build up and down the country.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2011, 12:58   #242
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Every major build anywhere in the country has also got to contribute money to the local council. It's called 106 money (presumably because that's the standard clause in the contract). This has to be (if memory serves me correctly which someone in the council could probably verify for me) 1% of the cost of the build. This money goes to the council and can be used for anything but is most commonly used to 'decorate' (for want of a better word) the area around the new build i.e. tree planting, grass verges, artwork, fixing up nearby buildings, road alterations etc.

It's not just Tesco that has to pay it, it's a condition of any big build up and down the country.
Well we'll just get rid of the apostrophe, change a word to plural, and then it's still true.

'Seems our councils are whores.'

Attaching promises of gifts to planning applications, doesn't mean that they'll necessarily benefit any area in the long-term.

It is akin to dropping your drawers, if the price is right.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 12:59   #243
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
why not shift the market onto the pedestrianised broadway ... and then open it up again to what it was before the 'new' bus station was built ...
That was my suggestion too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 13:17   #244
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post

By the way, no one's questioning the legality of this practice.

Morally it stinks, and is one of the main reasons why this country will soon be carved up, and shared out by a very small number of supermarket chains.

Offers of money, if a planning application is passed, is a bribe. No matter how it's dressed up.

The money's soon frittered away.

The consequences of passing applications, that wouldn't have been looked on as favourably without a promise of cash, we'll live with for generations.

Old 22-08-2011, 13:25   #245
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
By the way, no one's questioning the legality of this practice.

Morally it stinks, and is one of the main reasons why this country will soon be carved up, and shared out by a very small number of supermarket chains.

Offers of money, if a planning application is passed, is a bribe. No matter how it's dressed up.

The money's soon frittered away.

The consequences of passing applications, that wouldn't have been looked on as favourably without a promise of cash, we'll live with for generations.
think it was justifying the unjustifiable.
Old 23-08-2011, 10:04   #246
Bee
I am Banned

Also Dorothy Perkins & Burtons are shutting down in Blackburn;
Blackburn's Burton and Dorothy Perkins stores set to close (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 10:09   #247
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

which is what to do wi accy town centre changes?
Old 23-08-2011, 12:55   #248
Bee
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
which is what to do wi accy town centre changes?
Well Lindsay mentioned about Evans in Blackburn closing down 7 months ago . Check this Thread Cashy . Sorry Lindsay if I mentioned about you.
Old 23-08-2011, 12:56   #249
Bee
I am Banned

We need a Model Zone in Accrington, also a Ikea.....Best Buy.....Currys Digital..Toys R Us......and many more!!.

NOT stupid shops like Poundworld!!!!!!!!.
Old 23-08-2011, 13:35   #250
Beacon of light

I'm sure these shops would happily move into Accrington if they thought they would make a profit...the fact that they don't, clearly indicates that they see no good business in the town.
How many town centres do you know that have an Ikea. I bet you can count them on the fingers of one hand(with a lot of fingers left over).
One of the main causes of the decline of town centres is the growth of out of town shopping complexes.
Old 23-08-2011, 15:26   #251
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
We need a Model Zone in Accrington, also a Ikea.....Best Buy.....Currys Digital..Toys R Us......and many more!!.

Isn't IKEA cheap n cheerful too?
Bring back Wardleworths I say - perhaps I could start a campaign...
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 15:31   #252
Beacon of light

I suppose you could say Ikea is cheap and cheerful(it wouldn't necessarily be my description) but my point was, this kind of outlet is not found in main high streets around the country.

I think it highly unlikely that your campaign to bring back Wardleworths would have much success..........people these days buy their books from Amazon....or the charity shops. They went out of business because they could not compete in the market of the time...so there would not be much hope for them in today's economic climate.
I have to say I do miss them though.... Seed and Gabbutts(Blackburn) was another of my book buying haunts too.
Old 23-08-2011, 15:41   #253
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post

well i for one am happy that there are shops like Poundworld , its a handy shop if i need headache tablets and bits and bobs i forget to take with me on a day out...so BEE, stop chatting bubbles and get your head out of the clouds
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 16:57   #254
God Member

Quote:
Well we'll just get rid of the apostrophe, change a word to plural, and then it's still true.

'Seems our councils are whores.'

Attaching promises of gifts to planning applications, doesn't mean that they'll necessarily benefit any area in the long-term.

It is akin to dropping your drawers, if the price is right.

Whoever, whether they were Tesco or an engineering company or a manufacturer would have had to pay 106 money regardless of who they were.

It's not a gift, it's a payment that is expected by law for any major build. They don't pay any more, in fact, I'm pretty sure that Tesco are very astute and would pay the bare minimum.

So, it doesn't make much difference - Tesco would have had to pay it whether they were trying to get a site in Hyndburn or London and any other company would have to pay it if they wanted to build on that site in Hyndburn.

It is supposed to benefit the area around the build i.e. repair anything that has been made ugly by the build - replacing trees etc - or benefitting local businesses in the area.

It's also a standard thing in a lot of countries - I know they do it in Holland and USA, so I'm pretty sure it's standard in Europe. So, I'm fully in support of 106 money, I think every business should support the community and businesses in its wake. Of course, how the Council spends it once it's got it is the important thing.

However, I take your point that Council's should only give planning permission if the building is strategic and I agree with you there. Plans had been drawn up to extend the Arndale and they were in talks with Sainsbury's (I think) to go into the extension. Then Tesco came along and didn't want to go into the Arndale so looked at other sites. Of course, the minute Tesco started getting serious Sainsbury dropped out because it wouldn't have been worth their while and at that point the rest of the plans got shelved because the bigger units wouldn't have got filled.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 17:16   #255
Give, give, give member

Let's just hope a company doesn't come along to H.B.C., with an application to build a nuclear waste plant here in Hyndburn.

I bet they'd be prepared to pay a hefty bung, towards a few paving slabs, and some blooms for the flower towers.

As stated, and I don't care where else it's practised, as a system, it stinks.

It interferes with a procedure which should be judged impartially.

The council have publicly admitted to 'a million pound' payement from Tesco, because their application was approved.

Anyone from the council brave enough to post on here, what the actual figure they received was?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..