Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2011, 18:08   #256
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Town Centre Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Well Lindsay mentioned about Evans in Blackburn closing down 7 months ago . Check this Thread Cashy . Sorry Lindsay if I mentioned about you.
Oh i'm well aware of that, i didn't mention that cos though linds n i may disagree on some things, her posts don't bore the arse off me.
Old 23-08-2011, 18:21   #257
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Oh i'm well aware of that, i didn't mention that cos though linds n i may disagree on some things, her posts don't bore the arse off me.
He's just another knobhead cashy
Old 23-08-2011, 18:27   #258

Would it not be better if Tesco or whoever else was involved used their own money to clean up and make good any mess they had caused during the building, and then the Council used the bung opps sorry the 106 money on something else useful in the community.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 20:23   #259
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Let's just hope a company doesn't come along to H.B.C., with an application to build a nuclear waste plant here in Hyndburn.

I bet they'd be prepared to pay a hefty bung, towards a few paving slabs, and some blooms for the flower towers.

As stated, and I don't care where else it's practised, as a system, it stinks.

It interferes with a procedure which should be judged impartially.

The council have publicly admitted to 'a million pound' payement from Tesco, because their application was approved.

Anyone from the council brave enough to post on here, what the actual figure they received was?

It doesn't interfere with the procedure because it's irrelevant to it. Applications should be judged impartially - as was proven by the waste thing in Huncoat - if that had been built that would have had to pay 106 money and the Council rejected it.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 20:25   #260
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
Would it not be better if Tesco or whoever else was involved used their own money to clean up and make good any mess they had caused during the building, and then the Council used the bung opps sorry the 106 money on something else useful in the community.
I think the thinking is that some companies wouldn't do all that stuff and so it's better in the hands of the Council so that they can spend the money wisely.

Sorry, even as I wrote that I know exactly what the response will be.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 20:31   #261
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
...it's better in the hands of the Council so that they can spend the money wisely.

Forget the acting.

You should be on the stage doing stand-up.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 20:32   #262
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Sorry, even as I wrote that I know exactly what the response will be.
You line 'em up, I'll knock 'em in the back of the net.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 22:12   #263
God Member

arndale centre for sale at 17 million a bit over priced methinks
Old 25-08-2011, 04:36   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Have heard a rumour that there are plans in the pipe-line to have a "wine bar/bistro" in the Victorian Arcade. The plan is to knock three or four units into one to achieve this, the thing is these are listed buildings. Would you just be allowed to knock them through given their listed status??
Having the premises above the Arcade i can confirm that this is indeed the plan, Inshops who currently own it have decided that there is no longer any retail trade on that side of the town, They have asked me three times if i would take the Taxi rank which is empty underneath are venue, however they are not willing to replace the windows and the whole lot need replacing, The old fancy dress shop main window has no strength in it at all and all the wood has broken.

In shops have the building up for sale and as more and more units have become vacated, they have had an offer on the building and i am ledd to believe that the sale is going through, The main plain is to convert to bars and bistros, however while planning etc goes through they will smarten the Arcade up, what does make me laugh is the Listed Building status and that keeping the building in line with its original features, if you view the roof on the back which we can do from our fire escape all the original glass at the top of the arcade is either plastic, cracked, missing, and the roof is a mess as well.
Leon Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 05:03   #265
God Member

not sure if any one remembers the "Thwaites Arcade" in Blackburn , a pure Victorian gem destroyed by the 60s urge to modernize , my own thoughts from a distance... Accrington Arcade should be accquired by HBC through 'emminent domain" and have the same if not more money spent on its preservation/renovation than the debacle of the refurbishment of the Market Hall
just my thoughts
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 06:06   #266
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Kelly View Post
Inshops who currently own it have decided that there is no longer any retail trade on that side of the town, .

I'd say they have more than contributed to that by their extortionate rents
Old 25-08-2011, 08:18   #267
Bee
I am Banned

I have been saying this all the time

- Close Poundland & "Cash Converters" and put a great shop there.....a Model Zone.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 08:31   #268
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
arndale centre for sale at 17 million a bit over priced methinks
Well considering you could buy Scotland for half that price, I think its a snip
Old 25-08-2011, 08:40   #269
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I have been saying this all the time

- Close Poundland & "Cash Converters" and put a great shop there.....a Model Zone.

Lots of people on here are very good at saying what should and shouldn't be in the town centre. How about putting your money where your mouth is and opening a 'Model Zone' . Retailing is easy, short hours & fantastic riches you could never dream of
Old 25-08-2011, 09:28   #270
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Lots of people on here are very good at saying what should and shouldn't be in the town centre. How about putting your money where your mouth is and opening a 'Model Zone' . Retailing is easy, short hours & fantastic riches you could never dream of
Exactly what you were telling me last week Dave, its great playing Monopoly but real life's a bit different

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..