Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2007, 21:41   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: Town Centre Planters

In principle it's a good idea but I'm still wondering if they are going to be re-arranged more artistically. The three round the cog seem to overpower it somewhat. The big square bases just look so ........ well, big ....... and square!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-06-2007, 22:17   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
In principle it's a good idea but I'm still wondering if they are going to be re-arranged more artistically. The three round the cog seem to overpower it somewhat. The big square bases just look so ........ well, big ....... and square!
I get the feeling they'll be planted into concrete containers. On the bright side theyre a bit too heavy for someone to just come along and steal for their garden!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 22:25   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Yes they are unfinished, I thought of e mailing PB about getting some would be 'graffiti' artist to practice on these black containers, the idea is good but the containers could do with brightening up. Surely it would be a good exercise for schools to have a competition for the best decorated container.
I reckon they should have 'Accrington & Districts' and the respective coats-of-arms on them!
Old 15-06-2007, 22:47   #19
Resident Waffler

Maybe they are supposed to have a logo painted on but just waiting pending the outcome of the debate about the name change.

I still think they look a bit bottom heavy and out of proportion.

I wonder how much they cost

Old 15-06-2007, 22:58   #20
God Member

I thought they looked really good! I was going to take a photo on my way home about half an hour ago, but I realised somebody would have already posted it and looky here, somebody has!

Well done!
Old 16-06-2007, 10:27   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'm with you a little on this Willow, but don't wish to critisize too heavily, be thankful for small mercies I say .. although not that small.

Makes me think of when I wear too heavy a patterned dress, always feel it wears me rather than me wearing it. As with the planters does have a feeling that the planters are the main display and the lovely flowers just an appendage. Perhaps the flowers will grow more, however, and become bigger than their holders .. don't know much about plants so can't say.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 10:45   #22
God Member

After viewing the pics I wonder if the person who planed this was sober at the time. It does need to be more artistic and the other worry I have is how long before they are "vandalized" by the local "unappreciative" elements?

It is a good idea in theory but like most theories on smartening up Accy it seems a bit of an afterthought. Whether is any overkill apart from the plastic we will have to wait and see but unless the plants do bloom large it going to look weird.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 12:31   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
I think they look great and add a much needed splash of colour ! they are too big to be nicked as well ! At last the council gets something right ,let's see if they remember to water them !
think the ideas good, the big black boxes bad,they aint too big to be vandalised though lindsey! credit for the attempt, kick up the ass for the choice.
Old 16-06-2007, 14:31   #24
Resident Waffler

I noticed a similar one at Intack on my way to Blackburn this morning - the difference with this one though is that the big black chunky base is broken up with a gold trim and the Blackburn 'bee' emblem which makes it look much more like a finished item rather than the inner container of something that our council never got round to buying.

However, as somebody suggested to me HBC can hardly put a Hyndburn design on them if it's wanting to change the name to Accrington & District, nor can it jump the gun and put an A&D design on them!

Old 16-06-2007, 15:37   #25
Resident Waffler

Here's just a quick example of how not to place planters.

The paving in front of the market hall has a coloured pattern to it. Now I know the planters are placed in an artistic format as in one it a 2 tier planter, one is a 3 tier planter and one is a 4 tier planter but would it have been impossible to put the middle one in the middle and the other two equidistant from it? The guidelines are right there on the ground with the coloured block of paving - one each side and one in the middle would have been simple enough surely but they manage to get the one on the left just creeping onto the red brick effect and the one on the right well outside of it with the middle planter closer to the left of centre!

The one between the market hall and town hall doesn't seem to have any relationship to the pavement it is placed on either. They would look so much better if they were just positioned better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP_A0285.jpg (158.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0286.jpg (133.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0284.jpg (160.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0283.jpg (166.1 KB, 10 views)

Old 16-06-2007, 15:53   #26
Give, give, give member

The ones in Ossy aren't as grand as the ones in Accy. They are made out of the same plastic as the old bins used to be.

Still I suppose the 'and Districts' got the cheaper ones, with the more expensive ones going to Accrington.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 15:56   #27
Resident Waffler

Did your Ossy ones come from Derbyshire? The big Accyones came from Derbyshire. I must try to get a better look at the ones in Church Street next week.

Old 16-06-2007, 16:03   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Did your Ossy ones come from Derbyshire? The big Accyones came from Derbyshire. I must try to get a better look at the ones in Church Street next week.
I didn't stop for a proper look, it was pouring down.

I'll have a better look soon.

Old 19-06-2007, 15:06   #29
Give, give, give member

I saw the ones in Accrington today, and they look very nice.

I know where you're coming from with the placing of them Willow. The three outside the front door of the Market Hall, are particularly aggravating. There is even a guide with the fancy block paving, yet they still aren't placed symmetrically, one is out by about ten inches. I was half tempted to get my back behind it and shove it into place!

The Devil is in the detail...but over all, very beautiful.

Old 19-06-2007, 15:23   #30
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I was half tempted to get my back behind it and shove it into place!
That's exactly how I felt! I think it's a Capricorn trait.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..