Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2007, 10:55   #76

Re: Town Centre Planters

they supposed to brighten up broadway? they are big black plastic containers with cheap flowers in, real good way to brighten up braodway dont you think?
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-08-2007, 11:00   #77
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
they supposed to brighten up broadway? they are big black plastic containers with cheap flowers in, real good way to brighten up braodway dont you think?
Now they have grown I think they look really pretty Liam and covering up most of the container, not sure of the cost of flowers, however, look good to me. Haven't seen the ones on Broadway recently, but certainly the ones in Clayton and Ossy are great.

Didn't approve of the white paint someone had sprayed on a lampost on Barnes Square, but the flowers appear to be untouched at the moment by vandals.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:04   #78

they look very out of place, just look like they've been dumped off a lorry onto the street, i remember accy had those smart wooden one's afew years ago. now they looked good.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 14:03   #79
God Member

I had a gander when down and though the flowers looked lovely the containers were to say the least cheap nasty and plain. A bit of colour on them would be nice because come winter they will look terrible and sad.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 14:08   #80
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
I had a gander when down and though the flowers looked lovely the containers were to say the least cheap nasty and plain. A bit of colour on them would be nice because come winter they will look terrible and sad.
Could be right Spuggie . will just have to wait and see what they will do with them during the winter.. maybe there are plants in there that will survive it; maybe they will replant with winter plants, or perhaps take them away for storage until the Spring. Perhaps they are disposable ??.. lots of options.
Old 11-08-2007, 14:26   #81
God Member

Hope they do have something in over the winter. Its dreary enough then without large black boxes making it work. Mind you that would require planning which is not a skill that HBC seem to have for these matters.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 11-08-2007, 15:16   #82
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
they are big black plastic containers with cheap flowers in
The flowers certainly aren't cheap. I sat and looked at them this afternoon. Retail price, which I presume wouldn't be the case for purchasing so many, would be a couple of hundred pounds per tower.

They look great, and the plants are covering the plastic nicely. The Petunias in particular look amazing.

(Jonh Farrer please note. More praise for the council.)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 15:19   #83
Give, give, give member

I too wondered what's going to happen to them in the winter. All the bedding plants in them now will be killed off by the frost.

Ivies, cyclamens, and winter flowering pansies would survive, but you are going to see more of the black containers.

Old 11-08-2007, 15:51   #84
God Member

Since G has mentioned winter flowers anyone else got any thoughts on what could go in??

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 11-08-2007, 15:59   #85
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Since G has mentioned winter flowers anyone else got any thoughts on what could go in??
There isn't much you can plant over winter. There certainly aren't many hanging plants that will grow down the towers.

Besides the ivy, cyclamen, and pansies I mentioned earlier, you can also plant heathers and ornamental cabbages, without fear of them being killed by the frost.

Old 11-08-2007, 16:21   #86
God Member

Heather now there is an idea as they have different colours now.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 20-10-2007, 11:15   #87
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Hope they do have something in over the winter. Its dreary enough then without large black boxes making it work. Mind you that would require planning which is not a skill that HBC seem to have for these matters.
They have now all gone away this week for the Winter .. well, have from Clayton, presume the rest of the Borough. Thought they still had some shelf life left meself. Looks bare now .. hope they return in the Spring.

Maybe, they are planning some extra Christmas lights ? They could look really lovely down Barnes Street/Pickup Street/Sparth Road.
Old 20-10-2007, 11:54   #88
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
They have now all gone away this week for the Winter .. well, have from Clayton, presume the rest of the Borough. Thought they still had some shelf life left meself. Looks bare now .. hope they return in the Spring.

Maybe, they are planning some extra Christmas lights ? They could look really lovely down Barnes Street/Pickup Street/Sparth Road.
Is Accrington no longer a 'Floral Market Town' then?

First the market disappears down the plug hole, and now the planters.

Old 20-10-2007, 12:40   #89
mez
God Member

i really like ornimental cabbage they can sometimes "make" a display .
Old 20-10-2007, 13:05   #90
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
i really like ornimental cabbage they can sometimes "make" a display .
What's she on about ? Never heard of these ..

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..