Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2014, 20:14   #31
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: town hall illegal parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie View Post
Parking isnt the issue, the road is a pedestrian area between the roundabout and the east side of the town hall. The cars have broken traffic laws not parking laws, none of the cars pictured are taxis and none are mayors etc......
The No Entry sign says buses only. Taxi's and the Mayor car can't drive through it nor can the HBC van I saw parked outside the other day.
Old 11-08-2014, 20:16   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
As much as i dislike parking enforcement (stealth tax), i believe it to be a 'necessary evil' but parking restrictions should apply only to the law of obstruction and should not be a way of just making money out of folk .

It's unfair imo for one group of folk (outside the law of obstruction) to arbitrarily decide where and for how long a person should be allowed to park, but to have folk that are also (allegedly) exempt from these rules is a joke

If we are to have parking enforcement (stealth tax) it needs to be fair,transparent and lawful and if folk are to be ticketed for being late back and not kepping to their 'prescribed hours' or parked on double yellows then the council surely has a duty to abide by the law themselves (this is one of many instances were they seem to have failed to do that).

Parking Wardens were originally introduced to decrease the amount of cars that were blocking streets, roads and to help improve traffic flow, unfortunately, this seems to have been abused by our local Council.....

... seems you can anywhere (if your paying).
You really are talking rubbish with all your stealth tax comments. It's simple, park where you are allowed and you wont have to pay a fine. Accrington must be one of the best places for free parking and yet people still park illegally. They should all get fined.
Less and Alan Varrechia like this.
Old 11-08-2014, 20:18   #33
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
...it really irks me when i see a traffic officer drive past someone parked on zigzags becaus ethem zigzags are there for a reason and thats everyones safety even more so than double yellow lines....
I thought the zig zags were so you could use the cash machine at Lloyds on Union Road and bus stop is there so you can park while you shop in the village panties
accyman likes this.
Old 11-08-2014, 20:34   #34
Senior Member+

Your not shopping in my panties
accyman likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 20:52   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I thought the zig zags were so you could use the cash machine at Lloyds on Union Road and bus stop is there so you can park while you shop in the village panties
they also provide dedicated parking for the chipshop next to my pals shop

even when the designated parking spaces are completely free people still dump their cars on the zigzags because god forbid they burned off a few calories walking to get their chips

id skip the fine and go straight to towing away cars for parking on zigzags its inexcusable and pure lazyness

ps:

id rather you didnt shop in my panties as well lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 21:17   #36
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I do my shopping commando style.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 21:33   #37
Senior Member+

Does that mean with a knife between your teeth Less, a grenade in one hand and an AK45 in tother?
Old 12-08-2014, 01:49   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Does that mean with a knife between your teeth Less, a grenade in one hand and an AK45 in tother?
lets just say he dosnt have a gun but somethings cocked

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:18   #39
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I thought the zigzag lines meant absolutely no parking regardless, so anyone stopping, let alone parking is breaking the law.
Gremlin and Alan Varrechia like this.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:13   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I thought the zigzag lines meant absolutely no parking regardless, so anyone stopping, let alone parking is breaking the law.
Absolutely right. Also - no overtaking.

Quote:
As much as i dislike parking enforcement (stealth tax)...
It isn't a stealth tax, it's a punishment for breaking the rules. What are the alternatives?
  • Ignore it - then what's the point of having parking regulations?
  • "Please don't do that again" - yeah, like that's going to work
  • Point(s) on the licence - overstay your welcome in a timed parking bay 12 times and you lose the right to drive. I like the idea, but it's easy enough for drunks, speeders and football players to stay behind the wheel, so I can't see it being effective for serial offenders.
  • Crushed car - A bit extreme
  • Public flogging - actually...
  • Prison - OK now you're just being ridiculous.
A fixed penalty is an effective punishment for a relatively minor offence. Nobody likes to pay money for nothing in return, and won't see the few minutes of extra parking they got that nobody else gets as the benefit of the £30 or whatever they have to pay.
Less and Gremlin like this.

Last edited by Studio25; 12-08-2014 at 08:17.
Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:34   #41

Re: Re: town hall illegal parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie View Post
the benches had been moved so that guests could sit down outside.
No they haven't the benches outside the town hall are always where they are. The benches outside the market hall were removed to stop drunks and beggars annoying folk, broken when removed then scrapped. So now the old and disabled have nowhere in that area to sit. It is far easier and cheaper to inconvenience, ordinary folk than to move the culprits on, I think the town hall could spare at least one bench for genuine shoppers?
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:35   #42
Senior Member+

Public flogging would be my choice of punishment.
See if Allah would spare the pain.

They could draw lots to see who wanted to wield the whip.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:50   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Put me down fer a gross of tickets please.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:49   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You really are talking rubbish with all your stealth tax comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I do my shopping commando style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
It isn't a stealth tax, it's a punishment for breaking the rules. What are the alternatives?
  • Ignore it - then what's the point of having parking regulations?
  • "Please don't do that again" - yeah, like that's going to work
  • Point(s) on the licence - overstay your welcome in a timed parking bay 12 times and you lose the right to drive. I like the idea, but it's easy enough for drunks, speeders and football players to stay behind the wheel, so I can't see it being effective for serial offenders.
  • Crushed car - A bit extreme
  • Public flogging - actually...
  • Prison - OK now you're just being ridiculous.
A fixed penalty is an effective punishment for a relatively minor offence. Nobody likes to pay money for nothing in return, and won't see the few minutes of extra parking they got that nobody else gets as the benefit of the £30 or whatever they have to pay.
Try and get PC plod to do anything about a parking issue and my guess is they really wouldn't want to know unless it's dangerous parking (I may be wrong).

Some may argue that parking fines are no bad thing and that it’s better to charge a minority who have broken a "rule" than raise the level of say council tax for everyone (god forbid they do what struggling businesses have done for years and make cuts ).
I just think motorists pay more than enough already to councils/gov ......

.....maybe (I'm right) it's just a "stealth tax" on those silly enough to park illegally? I've been driving for years and never had any of this "stealth tax" applied to me

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:52   #45

Re: Re: town hall illegal parking

Quote:

Try and get PC plod to do anything about a parking issue and my guess is they really wouldn't want to know unless it's dangerous parking (I may be wrong).

Some may argue that parking fines are no bad thing and that it’s better to charge a minority who have broken a "rule" than raise the level of say council tax for everyone (god forbid they do what struggling businesses have done for years and make cuts ).
I just think motorists pay more than enough already to councils/gov ......

.....maybe (I'm right) it's just a "stealth tax" on those silly enough to park illegally? I've been driving for years and never had any of this "stealth tax" applied to me
I would argue that you know little but assume a great deal, compared to other members.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..