Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2004, 05:17   #16
mez
God Member

Re: Travellers and fly-tipping

yea basf its still there just off whinny hill.
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2004, 11:36   #17

There has been fly-tipping at the bottom of Foxhill Bank (turn off Union Road where the Bank / Royal Pub use to be), for the last 15 years or more that I am aware of. The police, the council and just about everybody else has tried to stop it...all without success.

3 years ago I witnessed a Gypo's van offloading and then torching what looked like an old roof from a wooden garage. I chased after the van and even took it's number, then phoned our men in blue only to be told that they would look into it (fat chance). I went back to the now blazing timber wreck, only to hear the dying cry's of a dog that had been tied-up inside the structure before it had been (purposly) set alight. I and my friend couldn't get near enough to try and drag the dog out of the inferno. So the poor animal died in agony...burnt alive!

I phoned the police again...but they said they were too busy to attend the scene. So I phoned up the RSPCA...to their honour...they came in about 15 minutes. By this time the blaze was only smoldering, but the burnt corpse of the dog was visible.

I left in disgused after giving my details to the RSPCA guy. Several weeks later I received a call from the Accy Police asking if I could confirm the vehicle number, which I did. I asked if they had got the culprits, and they told me that a "Traveller" had reported his vehicle stolen 10 minutes after I rang the Police. So they had not charged anybody. I told Mr. Plod that I maybe able to identify a couple of the culprits. He said that as I lived in Germany he didn't think it would be cost effective to bring me over to Accy to identify a dog killer.

So much for justice!!!

CRIME CZARS........more like jobs for the boys!!!

Last edited by Darby; 10-08-2004 at 11:37.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:26   #18
God Member

Incidentally, I notice that the travellers have been on the approach road to Snipe Rake/ Kings Highway for three weeks now.
Old 13-08-2004, 23:25   #19
Resident Waffler

I noticed them there Bob when we were passing the other week.

Police not in my good books right now either but it's a long story.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2004, 07:48   #20
God Member

The Observer reports that the torrential rain of last week, which came flooding down Kings Highway, has washed the travellers camped there away. Is this the Strategy that our Crime Czars were expecting would 'come forward'?

Wow Doug! Divine intervention. We never expected that you were so well-connected! Ha, Moses, eat your heart out!
Old 15-08-2004, 07:53   #21
I am Band

So, the great unwashed copped for a dousing, eh? It's a pity a few bars of carbolic didn't come down in that particular deluge.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2004, 09:21   #22
Resident Waffler

Suddenly I like the rain

Old 15-08-2004, 11:42   #23
God Member

Acrylic-Biff, my terrier, and I have just been for a drag up that way (although who was dragging whom is open to question), just to have a look. The wreckage left behind is apalling. there is refuse of every sort scattered all over the place. And this presumably after HBC have 'cleaned up' !
Old 15-08-2004, 11:50   #24
Resident Waffler

Would that be the same sort of cleaning up that leaves my front garden full of other people's refuse on bin day?

Old 15-08-2004, 13:06   #25
God Member

Yeah, makes you wonder why they bother in the first place.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:40   #26
God Member

Well it looks as though our esteemed Crime Czar's policy of wait-and-see has not bourne the expected solution. The travellers are back at the bottom of Kings Highway. More mess, more inconvenience, more rubbish, more council handwringing and precisley NO ACTION to put an end to it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..