Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2004, 10:31   #1
God Member

Travellers and fly-tipping

There is a suggestion from former Labour Leader, Councillor Ian Ormerod that Travellers should have their vehicles clamped as method of deterrent. I agree. Though I don’t think councillor Ormerod’s suggestion is tough enough.

Some of you will no doubt recall that a couple of months ago we were all delighted at the news that Coucillor Doug Heyes – and his wife, oddly enough – had been appointed as the boroughs new CRIME CZARS !

Speaking personally, I was so delighted I could hardly stop laughing.

Anyway, one half of the ‘Dynamic Duo’ have been in action on this very issue. I know that you are all now holding your breath in anticipation of some earth shatteringly dramatic pronouncement. Councillor Heyes Said: “We really have had our problems over the years with travellers. But until a strategy comes forward that incorporates all the partners involved, we will just have to be on our guard.”

That’s it Doug. Go get em! I’ll bet all those nasty traveller types, sorry, ‘partners’ are really shaking in their caravans now! I’ll bet they will certainly think twice before fly-tipping on our beauty spots now that our crime czars are on the case and have decided to …. do absolutely nothing at all!
Old 07-08-2004, 11:53   #2

Re: Travellers and fly-tipping

If the vehicles are clamped then how the hell are they supposed to move on?!
Old 07-08-2004, 12:20   #3
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceejache
If the vehicles are clamped then how the hell are they supposed to move on?!
Maybe they'll just saw off the clamps?

"............until a strategy comes forward............." Am I alone here in thinking that they are the ones who have been appointed to come up with strategies?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:27   #4

Hehe...probably will do Willow....it just seems like a very bizarre and ineffectual 'deterent'!
Old 07-08-2004, 12:56   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Maybe they'll just saw off the clamps?

?
If they get enough of them they will make a fortune at the scrappers when they weigh them in!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 14:06   #6
Senior Member+

Are these two so called crime czars getting any money in expences for this work that they are not doing. ( i wonder )
Old 07-08-2004, 14:22   #7
God Member

Well you don't suppose that they do it out of the goodness of their hearts do you? Taking all the flak that these two are going to generate is bound to come at a price.
The thing that puzzles me is why his wife has been nominated too? Oh, I get it now, Double Expenses!
Old 07-08-2004, 14:24   #8
Senior Member+

You have to laugh Bob, either that or have a bloody good cry at the way this town is going.
Old 07-08-2004, 17:37   #9
Resident Waffler

It must take an awful lot of effort this waiting for a strategy to come forward you know.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 20:17   #10
Full Member+

The`ve moved to the access road for Rake Head Quarry, dumped a load of tarmac at the bottom and branches and foliage from their gardening activites at the top, though I believe this part is covered by CCTV. Why do they not have to tax their vans and wagons?
Old 07-08-2004, 20:34   #11
I am Band

A few years ago some travellers, to be politically correct, (I prefer the term Gypo's), set up camp illegally on land between Express Gifts and Emerson & Renwick. Eventaully when they were moved on, the police were in evidence to enforce the eviction order. When it was pointed out to the law enforcement officers that a number of the travellers vehicles were without tax, they turned a blind eye to the fact. So much for upholding the letter of the law.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 21:49   #12
God Member

>>Why do they not have to tax their vans and wagons?<<

Probably for the same reason that they do not pay Council Tax or Income Tax or VAT.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 07-08-2004 at 21:50.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 23:38   #13
IMY

yeh why do they not have to tax their vans or other band wagons

av neva heard of tht one b4 but i bet u now who ever see a van or other motor they have we will walk past n chek to c if they got a tax disc on coz i sure will chek why have one rule for them and another for us..... they use the roads more than we do if they alwayz on the move so they sud pay it just like anyone else
IMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 18:22   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkologist
(I prefer the term Gypo's)
I think didicoy is a better description:
Definitions
didicoy
diddicoy
didicoi
noun
  • didicoys, diddicoys, didicois
    1. An itinerant tinker or scrap dealer, not a true gypsy

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 22:18   #15
Senior Member+

They call them didicoys down sarff, didnt they build something for them in the 70s between Huncoat and Clayton, I seem to remember going the back way and they had hard standings and water/electric hookups, seemed a nice place for yer average Gypo.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..