Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2011, 18:23   #91
Give, give, give member

Re: Travellers on Arden Hall Playing Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Gobbiner, people whinge and moan because frequently the travellers leave the place a mess.
Which in the past has included an Accy Web member who happily slagged off The Travelling Dangleberries, who leave their crud behind, when they've been moved on from their illegal sites, who happens to be Romani.

Admittedly this was before we had new members who lecture us in political correctness.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2011, 18:35   #92

Quote:
Gobbiner, people whinge and moan because frequently the travellers leave the place a mess.
I have never known a group of travellers clear up the place where they have been encamped, but you have...so there our, experiences differ.
They seem to drive about in un-taxed vehicles...which usually means they are uninsured too. They are not abiding by the laws which the majority of us have to adhere to.
And whatever communty they foist themselves onto has the unsavoury task of cleaning up their mess and paying for it.
So it isn't any wonder that people get fed up and in those circumstances may resort to language which could be construed as derogatory and racial...this is because it is born out of frustration.
All of a sudden I am being accused of lying and defending the travellers, so I'll reply to you Margaret because you are presenting your views in an inoffensive way and don't appear to be having a go at me.

You and others make lots of good points of why there is so much frustration and justified prejudice against travellers. I am not defending travellers at all, except at the point where it becomes racism. In the end you just cannot generalise about all travellers - it becomes racism when you do.

No I did not go and seek out every turd, Garinda, but did you or walkinman? If so was it really any worse than the dog turds everywhere that causes most people in this country to walk with their heads down all the time? But if they did leave turds that I did not see, then it was just as bad and I withdraw my defence of this one bunch of travellers regarding leaving the place clean and tidy.

Those who accuse me of nauseous drivel or being a do-gooder etc should just look at what you have written and see the disrespect in it. You have your minds made up about travellers and will not budge. Fair enough but G Jones and Clare Pritchard took positive and successful action and I can bet that they also try to remain impartial at all times, even if inside they feel the same as you. So don't accuse me of what I am not. Instead realise that I would like to see the back of law-breaking travellers and all criminal elements just as much if not more than you do. But that does not include expressing anger, hatred, racism or unfair prejudice in public.
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

http://gobbinland.com/
Gobbiner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 18:37   #93
Senior Member+

I can't speak for all the sites in Hyndburn that travellers have been on in last few years, but on Arden Hall I can say there was a fair bit of tidying up to be done after they left. As soon as they left the Council cleaned up the site. We've also put some big boulders down in attempt to discourage anyone who might be thinking of setting up camp on there in the future.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 18:47   #94
Senior Member+

Nothing to do with race ,creed , or religion dirty scumbags are dirty scumbags regardless of their race or anything else , and i disagree with your point of view gobbiner if you see that as having a go at you thats up to you . I assure you its not personal.And as for the turds i didnt need to go searching for them as it was prevalent in the area and not hard to spot, it was everywhere.
Old 23-06-2011, 18:48   #95
Beacon of light

Gobbiner, I am definitely not having a go at you. I respect the opinions of other posters, even when they do not agree with my own.
Discussions do get heated when people feel very strongly about a subject, it is important to accept that the internet is not a particularly good vehicle for getting the nuances across, and that sometimes posts will appear to be aggressive.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 18:51   #96
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbiner17 View Post
I am not defending travellers at all, except at the point where it becomes racism. In the end you just cannot generalise about all travellers - it becomes racism when you do.
More politically correct garbage.

(Don't forget to take it with you when you leave.)

Care to share with the rest of us, exactly what race of people 'travellers' belong to?

Rest assured, the folks on here would have exactly the same reaction, after witnessing the mess left behind, whether the illegal campers had been Irish tinkers, on their way to a Making Money Without Paying Income Tax conference at Appleby, or middle class, tree hugging Trustafarians, off to some cruddy festival.

Looking forward to being educated as to what race of people 'travellers' belong to.

Old 23-06-2011, 19:04   #97
God Member

Quote:
You and others make lots of good points of why there is so much frustration and justified prejudice against travellers. I am not defending travellers at all, except at the point where it becomes racism. In the end you just cannot generalise about all travellers - it becomes racism when you do.
You really are a pathetic piece of intellectually challenged garbage, Gobbiner.

I have yet to see any gypos in this country of Afro-Carribbean, Asian sub-continent, Eskimo or Chinese origin; every single one I have seen have been white, ethnic European. So what the hell has this got to do with race? Answer - if you can't work it out - is nowt. It has everthing to do with lifestyle, which is optional. If the option you take is to go on the road, evade taxes, desecrate local enviroments and indulge in various forms of thievery then don't be surprised if most people want to keep you out of their neighbourhood and out of their town.

So get real, Gobbiner.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 19:14   #98
Give, give, give member

Quote:
How many people on here actually experienced the bad part of those 2 cases? But even if you were on the receiving end, I'm just saying that you must respond in an adult to adult way.
Grow up, and smell the clay baked hedgehog.

Seeing as you urge us all to be adult.

Even for those residents fortunate enough not to have the mess left on their doorsteps, every council tax payer in Hyndburn will be footing the bills for cleaning up the mess.

Not an enjoyable prospect for most residents, when we are in the process of having savage cuts imposed on local services, and amenities.

Old 23-06-2011, 19:22   #99
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Even for those residents fortunate enough not to have the mess left on their doorsteps, every council tax payer in Hyndburn will be footing the bills for cleaning up the mess.

Not an enjoyable prospect for most residents, when we are in the process of having savage cuts imposed on local services, and amenities.
Hmmm clay baked hedgehog
Old 23-06-2011, 19:32   #100

Quote:
Seems to me like if someone is annoyed with travellers behaviour and can convince a constable likewise, then it is easy to get them evicted. However, this thread shows prejudice (whether justified or not) against travellers and it is likely the constable has to take this into consideration before taking any action.
I must relearn that lesson about never post when drunk! They say it's your real self coming out and I admit I hate prejudice and I always try to be fair.

All the politically correct stuff (not mine, but in general)? Well a lot of it is correct but a lot of it is far beyond common sense. It is crazy that laws protect the criminal but do nowt to help the victims. Where did it all go wrong? Yes, I suppose do-gooders went too far. But without do-gooders there'd be a lot good missing from the world, so slagging of people trying to do good and trying to be fair will not solve anything.

Racism? Perhaps these travellers were not gypsies. So by all means pull my exact wording apart. However, the travellers lifestyle is threatened, so councils by law have to provide permanent sites for them. When there are no vacant sites then they park where they like. Wrong I know, but did this failure of the system come about in the first place because travellers were unfairly prejudiced against, or did the travellers bring it on themselves. Probably a bit of both. But whatever the answer, it is a fact that travellers lifestyles are threatened and they have decided to go down their particular path of disrespect for the law and non-travellers. So they are a distinct group and therefore the law protects them against discrimination, whether it is actually 'racism' or unfair prejudice, as I call it.

Tealeaf, you can be racist against any person no matter what colour their skin is. Read up on racism as you appear not to know the first thing about it.

OK, lecture over, what next garinda?
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

Old 23-06-2011, 19:42   #101

Quote:

I had not singled anyone out for any of my criticism, except Jaysay for saying always. But you choose to talk down to me as if I am a child for urging everyone to behave in an adult fashion. Interesting.

I think you are good with words, but I don't understand what you are on about most of the time, so perhaps you're another Shakespeare? What has the torture of hedgehogs to do with it?

I agree about taxpayers and residents though.

Old 23-06-2011, 19:45   #102

Quote:
Gobbiner, I am definitely not having a go at you. I respect the opinions of other posters, even when they do not agree with my own.
Discussions do get heated when people feel very strongly about a subject, it is important to accept that the internet is not a particularly good vehicle for getting the nuances across, and that sometimes posts will appear to be aggressive.
Thank goodness for your beacon of light amongst all this murky gubbins that has spilled out! Thank you Margaret for remaining ... Margaret, I suppose :-)

Old 23-06-2011, 19:52   #103
Give, give, give member

Quote:
So by all means pull my exact wording apart.
We did.

Just as soon as you labelled any opposition to the rubbish left behind by illegal campers, as 'racist'.

As for lecturing, along with preaching, we tend not to do too much of it on here.

People tend not to listen. Finding it both boring, and patronising.

The forum rules are there to keep us all in check. Not each other.

If you attempted a citizens arrest on Accy Web, for racism, for example, it would probably result in a virtual castration.

By the way, do you want a bag for those two little plums?

We don't like littering around here.

So best take 'em with you.

Old 23-06-2011, 20:04   #104
Give, give, give member

Quote:
...you choose to talk down to me as if I am a child for urging everyone to behave in an adult fashion. Interesting.

Quote:
I'm just saying that you must respond in an adult to adult way, rather than a parent to child way like many do - eg "I'm not going to discuss this because you are wrong and I am right and no matter what you say I am right" sort of thing. Alternatively people sometimes react like children - eg "it's not fair, this is where I want to play and they've come and spoiled it. Daddy (council, police) go and give them a good hiding."

The adult way is to do as has been done in these 2 cases.
Short term memory loss, as well an appalling lack of knowledge about Romani culture.

I think it's time to fold the table down, rearrange those cushions, and make your bed.

Old 23-06-2011, 20:22   #105

Quote:
We did.

Just as soon as you labelled any opposition to the rubbish left behind by illegal campers, as 'racist'.
And where exactly did I do that? I've checked and I cannot find it.

Quote:
As for lecturing, along with preaching, we tend not to do too much of it on here.

People tend not to listen. Finding it both boring, and patronising.
Well you asked for a lecture, garinda.

Quote:

The forum rules are there to keep us all in check. Not each other.

If you attempted a citizens arrest on Accy Web, for racism, for example, it would probably result in a virtual castration.
I have not and would not attempt a citizens arrest, even if people are breaking the forum rules. That's up to the moderators. If people accuse me of something and they are wrong though I will tell them.

Quote:

By the way, do you want a bag for those two little plums?

We don't like littering around here.

So best take 'em with you.

What have my two little plums to do with anything?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..