Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Margaret Pilkington

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2021, 12:26   #1

Treasure trove

I’m hoping this will be an interesting thread (and maybe amusing) so here goes. Have you ever had something (either already owned or recently acquired) that you think might be worth a lot of money? Maybe something left to you, as some old stuff really can be worth a lot now (you only have to watch the ‘Antiques Road Show’ to know this). Have you ever had this valued and either be surprised and in shock at its value – or very disappointed when it has none. Are you a metal detecting enthusiast? If you are, have you had any good finds?

I’ll start this thread off by telling about a recent ‘discovery’ of mine. For a while now, when there is something considered worth celebrating, the Mint over here issues special $2 coins with colours on them. Although I don’t go out of my way to collect these, whenever I get one in my change I put it in a box in case these coins ever greatly increase in value, though usually with the issue of many thousands of each one I really doubt they ever will. The other day I got mine out (I have 52) and started to check them on the Internet. Some are now worth $6, some $9, not much more than their face value - then I hit the jackpot! I had picked one out of the box that looked exactly like an extremely rare coin that was being advertised for $1,000. To say I was excited is the understatement of the year – if it was worth that now how much would it be worth in time to come. That was until I found that I had 10 more of them, not exactly a rare coin – and when I looked more closely not exactly like the one being advertised. Definitely NOT a genuine find, and my excitement was short-lived.

However, I do have 4 that I think are worth about $60 each….or are they?
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-06-2021, 12:48   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Treasure trove

No dorothy...I have never had anything old that might be worth something...well not unless you can count people...if that were the case then it would have to be my dear old Ma(alas, lost to me now).
She was worth more than all the gold still in the earth. God love her!
cashman and taddy like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 13:46   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

sod all dotti but cant say im bothered to be honest.
Old 11-06-2021, 14:13   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I've got a few bottles of Whisky, bought as normal with no intention of hoarding, the stuff is for drinking after all but I was advised against chugging them down as they are actually quite valuable.
Old 11-06-2021, 20:00   #5

been a collectors of all sorts for years. Anything is only worth what somebody will pay for it. There are ridiculous prices on ebay for collectibles, but you don't find how much they actually go for. There was a first day cover recently that I was interested in. Advertised at 100 quid. I offered 35 which was accepted.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:09   #6
God Member

my first two cars. a lagonda LG 45 boutht in 1966 for 150 quid worth about a quarter of a million now. swapped it for a SS Jaguar convertable worth now about the same. if only i knew then what the future would hold.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:16   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
been a collectors of all sorts for years. Anything is only worth what somebody will pay for it. There are ridiculous prices on ebay for collectibles, but you don't find how much they actually go for. There was a first day cover recently that I was interested in. Advertised at 100 quid. I offered 35 which was accepted.
same at antique fairs especially those who are inside and specialize on certain things. our living room is nearly all art deco as well as parts of the main bedroom. all the stuff has been either picked up for a song or by silly ebay offers that were accepted. a tip for anyone looking around for collectables is never turn up in a newish expensive car or dress if you are going to a big do. look a bit clean but down at heal and play the poor old pensioner card. it does work.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..