Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2006, 15:29   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Tree watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Acorn town needs its oaks so that must be the thinking behind it.

They wouldnt plant them just for photo's and to be "borrowed" by unsavoiry elements.

Oak trees are fantastic.

Just think in about four hundred years the horrible blue and white facade will be hidden from view.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-04-2006, 16:06   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Oak trees are fantastic.

Just think in about four hundred years the horrible blue and white facade will be hidden from view.
Hope that in 400years time they might have the cash to bulldoze it and start again. Even HBC could manage that couldnt they?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 17:40   #18
God Member

Hmmm well yes, lets face it, you haven't exactly been left with a lot of old historic buildings have you, but on the plus side the ones you have got are very impressive. The bank at the end of broadway is quite nice.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 18:06   #19
Senior Member+

Rindy,I will make it my personal duty to check on the trees every day as I pass them on a regular basis;usually whilst chasing shoplifters up and down Broadway!
Old 08-04-2006, 19:37   #20
God Member

Totally off topic but that reminds me, there was a guy, an immigrant, clearly not from this country, came up to me and asked me if id taken his money out of the cash point. He'd forgoten to pick it up, probably hassled by the child he had with him. Hope he got it back. I explained there was a good chance the cash point would take it back in if he hadn't took it within so many seconds, I had to virtually order him to go in to the bank to report it, as he thought he couldn't with it not being his bank. It was 250 quid.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 00:18   #21
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Totally off topic but that reminds me, there was a guy, an immigrant, clearly not from this country, came up to me and asked me if id taken his money out of the cash point. He'd forgoten to pick it up, probably hassled by the child he had with him. Hope he got it back. I explained there was a good chance the cash point would take it back in if he hadn't took it within so many seconds, I had to virtually order him to go in to the bank to report it, as he thought he couldn't with it not being his bank. It was 250 quid.

Yes totally off topic. The most tenuous link you could have is that money grows on trees.

Remember this as the maddest post ever.

Old 10-04-2006, 19:17   #22
Beacon of light

I have been over to Skipton today and on the way over I was looking out for Oak trees...and believe it or not, they all appear to be in the same state of suspended animation as those on Broadway...so maybe there is hope for them yet.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 19:27   #23

usually when I get up in the mornings......I,m in suspended animation....wonder if I,m an oak tree........
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 19:31   #24
Passed away 25-11-09

Hang on in there, Accy, there's still hope. The oak trees here aren't in bud yet either. Neither are the 2 little ones I'm bonsaiing in my garden.

I noticed the ash trees in the field opposite my house are budding. The old saying is, "Oak before ash, only a splash. Ash before oak, we're in for a soak." It's supposed to mean a wet Summer. So what else is new?
Old 10-04-2006, 21:12   #25
Resting in Peace

Seen Mick's picture of the Arcade in Rotterdam, remind you of summat >>> perhaps steel trees best idea. Thing is would be waiting for ever for them to bud shopping_mall.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 21:13   #26
God Member

The south aint caught onto this and aint got enough ressis to collect it.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 23:59   #27
Give, give, give member

Oaks are still dormant then, so eyes peeled on Broadway for signs of life and you can collect your lucky acorn or karma.

Old 11-04-2006, 14:57   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Mmmmmmmmm at what cost?

Whats the going rate for seven twenty foot high oak trees.

[By the way Katex if my power explodes I promise not to wipe it on the curtains.]
Just off to find my screenie wipes, was not wise reading that whilst drinking coffee
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 17:57   #29
Senior Member+

Had a nosey at one of the trees today and the branches are still green under the bark so there is hope for them yet! suspect they are just as fed up of this rubbish weather as we are!
Old 12-04-2006, 21:35   #30
Always EVIL within us

I checked out the trees in passing today and am quite confident that they are all healthy and alive. Each one has healthy buds, they may not be much this year but if they can survive the vandals I think they would look quite nice next June.

They will eventually become too large for Broadway but as they are quite slow growing, most of us (well, me anyway) will be tree manure ourselves by the time this happens

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..