Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 15:19   #1
Resident Waffler

Trip to London - where not to stay!

On Friday I accompanied Busman on an overnight trip to London taking a group of disabled children to see a show.

The show (Grease) was fantastic and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it.

The hotel we stayed in overnight on the other hand was absolutely appalling.

Upon our arrival, despite the fact that the party organiser had confirmation of the booking, the staff seemed unable to find any record of it and we were left standing in the foyer whilst something was sorted out. I was appalled that there was nowhere to sit, especially as some members of the party were quite clearly having difficulty standing for so long. When one lad was no longer able to stand and slumped to the floor by the side of the reception desk a member of staff came storming out of the door yelling that he had knocked papers off a desk at the other side of the wall and that he'd been 'at it all day'. An impossibility as we'd been travelling down from Lancashire most of the day, but it certainly felt like we'd been there all day.

I suggested the fault lies not with the guests but with the poor structure of the hotel 'walls' as the same thing quite clearly happens with other people. Far from being yelled at the lad deserved an apology for having been made to stand there for so long.

When we finally did get our keys and found our way to the rooms I was appalled by the state of the room. To say that it was basic is an understatement. I am amazed that the hotel had managed to aquire 3 stars. The furnishings, such as they were, a basic laminated chip board 'dressing table' and laminated chip board panels attached to the wall in lieu of headboards, were dirty and there was mould on the ceiling in the bathroom. Although a kettle was provided in the room it took over 20 minutes to warm up and then switched off before it reached boiling point. It would have been impossible to make a cup of tea.

Busman was the coach driver for the party and had enquired how long we could leave the coach in the hotel courtyard and was told that it would be OK to leave it there whilst we checked in. We then took it to an overnight coach park at the end of Bayswater Road.

The following morning we left the party having breakfast and went to pick up the coach. Some of them had not finished by the time we returned and so we sat at one of the outdoor tables with the party organiser to have a drink of hot chocolate and wait for them. When the organiser went off to look for people one of the staff came up to Busman and told him to move the coach as it shouldn't be there. Busman replied that we'd just brought it in to pick people up. The staff member then said that the coach had been there for well over an hour which was not permitted. I pointed out that less than half an hour earlier the coach had been in a coach park at the end of Bayswater Road, whereupon he accused me of lying saying that he had seen it there himself an hour earlier.

It had been there well over an hour the previous evening whilst the reception staff kept us waiting for the keys to our rooms, nothing was said about it then.

He then went off and spoke to a member of our party who informed us that he'd asked her if this was her coach and when she'd replied that it was he told her. "That's your driver over there. He isn't looking after you properly." She knew exactly where the driver was as she'd spoken to us earlier when my Busman had been asking if she knew how many people hadn't finished breakfast.

The toilet facilities in the hotel seem to be a bit thin on the ground. The gents toilets at one side were not even working on the Saturday morning and the hand dryers in the ladies were neither use nor ornament.

I have never come across such ignorant and offensive hotel staff anywhere in the world. Nor have I come across such a basic hotel which has somehow managed to acquire 3 stars. We certainly won't be returning and will be advising everyone we know to avoid it and the other hotels in their group which presumably are of the same appalling quality. Had the staff been a little more courteous and helpful perhaps the lack of some of the basics could have been overlooked.

The hotel in question was the Royal National. If you possess a 10 foot barge pole I advise you not to touch this hotel with it

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 04-11-2007 at 15:23.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2007, 15:28   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Trip to London - where not to stay!

Sorry to hear you had such dreadful service.

Just checked and it's not cheap, and shows you can't trust the blurb on their website.

http://www.imperialhotels.co.uk/roya...al1_hotel.aspx

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 15:38   #3
Resident Waffler

I had a look at the website when we got home and it looks quite good doesn't it? I probably would have chosen it myself. The organiser was very apologetic but of course it wasn't his fault. He complained when we were there and filled in a form to complain. I've also sent an email to the Imperial group since we got home but so far the only reply I got was that they will 'respond as soon as the current technical problem has been resolved'. Not that they explained what the technical problem was.

The awful thing is that this hotel was full of foreign tourists who think this is the best England has to offer.

Old 04-11-2007, 15:43   #4
God Member

I agree their treatment of people with disabilities leaves a lot to be desired and it sounds like their manners were horrendous. To shout at somebody for falling down because they had a lack of seating is atrocious. As for the way they spoke to both yourself and Busman it is totally unacceptable IMO. If I were you I would be complaining to the company who own the hotel. Sounds like staff training leaves a lot to be desired and new measures need to be put in place and implemented ASAP.
Old 04-11-2007, 15:46   #5
God Member

We must have been posting at the same time Willow didn't realise you had already complained, hope you get some satisfacion from the owners!!
Old 04-11-2007, 16:01   #6
Resident Waffler

I'll keep you informed but don't hold your breath. I can't help thinking that the 'technical difficulties' is just an excuse not to reply.

Old 04-11-2007, 16:03   #7
Resting in Peace

Oh yes, know this group well Willow, none of the Imperial hotels are that brilliant .. all seem to need refurbising. They do not appear to have any buying policy and will buy mitchmatches of items 'cause they are cheap.

Coincidentally .. one of my work colleagues stayed here on a trip to London with her two young children couple of weeks ago, and had a similar experience as yourself. She just said was dreadful e.g. no double glazing and was extremely noisy, the radiator wouldn't turn off and room too hot, only one pillow provided which felt like it was filled with bricks, was an issue at reception, rubbish furnishings, never seen her so angry .. can't remember all the others things, will ask her when get back to work. The only plus side is that is near the tube ..and easy access to the main sights. She was booked for 3 nights and, like you, would not enter the place again. Yes, she said the same as you about the foreigners .. whatever must they have thought... mind you, most London hotels have mainly foreign guests.

Shame really, because the man who is the main owner is absolutely lovely .. a millionaire I think .. well, not surprised !!
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 21:16   #8
Senior Member+

what do they say?

have a bad experience and 8 other people will find out? i think with the advent of the internet thats going to shoot up rather quickly!
Old 04-11-2007, 21:22   #9
God Member

You can leave a nasty review here
Superbreak > Hotel Bookings, Reservations & Short Break Holidays

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 21:30   #10
Senior Member+

the only hotel i've had to stay at was thankfully nice - the britannia international.
Old 04-11-2007, 21:30   #11
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
what do they say?

have a bad experience and 8 other people will find out? i think with the advent of the internet thats going to shoot up rather quickly!

Too true Mani. With the number of message forums I post on this will no doubt be read by hundreds and they will more than likely in turn pass it on to people they know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks Margaret. Just had a look but couldn't see where I could add a review.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 04-11-2007 at 21:36.
Old 04-11-2007, 21:56   #12
God Member

Sorry I was misled too - will search for a site where you can
PS How To Submit a London Hotel Review - London Hotel Reviews submission

Last edited by MargaretR; 04-11-2007 at 22:00.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..