Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008, 21:53   #46
God Member

Re: Trouble in the Tory ranks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
theres more to this that meets the eye.this was another ploy to try and discredit gordon brown but its going to backfire big time .all they need is a victim of terrorism to stand as an independant and hes down and out because his seat has more traditional and right wing tory voters and it will just take one person to oust him put it this way there wont be any shortage of sponsors for the independant thats going to stand.people must know somebody is going to stand against him and why the liberals or labour are not going to stand against him so its going to be a 2 horse race and he will be humiliated.so really by people think he is being smart now will find out he is really stupid.
Ye........Just ask the commanding officer of the two lads who were killed in Afghanistan today what are his views?
I doubt if parents of other lads killed in Afghanistan or Iraq....they are victims of terrorism would stand.
The laws of the land as they are, are adequate to deal with threats from outside or internal interference....we as individuals may not grasp it..but deterants are in place to counter the threat.
The attempt by this government to increase the time of detention in my view...for what it is worth...is to show that the Government can satisfy the whims of the back benchers...who in the main havent got a clue..that they are in charge and a majority should be held on to at all costs.
I can see with this stance that a lot of Labour MP's will be on the dole come the next election.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-06-2008, 22:05   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Ye........Just ask the commanding officer of the two lads who were killed in Afghanistan today what are his views?
I doubt if parents of other lads killed in Afghanistan or Iraq....they are victims of terrorism would stand.
The laws of the land as they are, are adequate to deal with threats from outside or internal interference....we as individuals may not grasp it..but deterants are in place to counter the threat.
The attempt by this government to increase the time of detention in my view...for what it is worth...is to show that the Government can satisfy the whims of the back benchers...who in the main havent got a clue..that they are in charge and a majority should be held on to at all costs.
I can see with this stance that a lot of Labour MP's will be on the dole come the next election.
as they are serving military officers and are not allowed to stand by law i dont think they will.im just repeating the rumours that are going round westminster watch and learn politics..and as they are serving in afghanistan this is nothing to do with this bill.i dont think we should bring this into the thread as i think its offensive as my nephews regiment is in iraq .i know being in these countries is contributing to terrorism in this country but they would have found another excuse to bomb the **** out of us in this country..
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 22:23   #48
God Member

Quote:
as they are serving military officers and are not allowed to stand by law i dont think they will.im just repeating the rumours that are going round westminster watch and learn politics..and as they are serving in afghanistan this is nothing to do with this bill.i dont think we should bring this into the thread as i think its offensive as my nephews regiment is in iraq .i know being in these countries is contributing to terrorism in this country but they would have found another excuse to bomb the **** out of us in this country..
I know that a serving officer is not allowed to stand...nor would they.
The rumours going round Westminster do not concern me.
Serving in a theatre of war on active service to defeat terrorists under whatever umbrella, is an act act of loyalty to the crown, and our armed forces have to be praised for that.
I do not agree that our forces should be deployed in these godforsaken places and pray for the day when they come home safe and sound.
Your Nephew is in Iraq to make sure that on his return to this country, he has a safe haven in which to live in peace.
I would go for our troops out tomorrow but that is not to be.
I too have been on active service...and it scared the **** out of me.

Old 12-06-2008, 22:39   #49
God Member

agree with you 100%
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 23:52   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Labour haven't got the balls to be in it.....The Bye Election that is...They know they would get really stuffed...pure spectulation I know!
where are you getting this tripe from? at this time the Lib Dems have said they will not take part in the by-election. Labour have said they are YET to decide. maybe you should consider changing username to Aesop.
Old 12-06-2008, 23:56   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
where are you getting this tripe from? at this time the Lib Dems have said they will not take part in the by-election. Labour have said they are YET to decide. maybe you should consider changing username to Aesop.
I hope they decide to stand....I would have a bet on the outcome and change my name to 'winalot'

Old 12-06-2008, 23:58   #52
Give, give, give member

Although David Davis might not have the backing of David Cameron and the rest of the Shadow Cabinet, according to Newsnight he does have the backing of the B.N.P. in his one man crusade.

Stranger, and stranger.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 00:05   #53
Give, give, give member

'Those around David Cameron are throwing their hands up in despair at his self-indulgence. “Has he gone mad?” one of the Tory leader's closest allies told me. Another strategist described it as a “massive distraction”, which will “all go pear-shaped”. Most Conservative MPs agree that Mr Davis is putting his own interests before those of his party.'

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle4123769.ece

I hope Gordon Brown doesn't forget to send David Davis a Christmas card this year.

He's probably so chuffed he might even splash out on a present too.

Old 13-06-2008, 00:09   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'Those around David Cameron are throwing their hands up in despair at his self-indulgence. “Has he gone mad?” one of the Tory leader's closest allies told me. Another strategist described it as a “massive distraction”, which will “all go pear-shaped”. Most Conservative MPs agree that Mr Davis is putting his own interests before those of his party.'

I hope Gordon Brown doesn't forget to send David Davis a Christmas card this year.

Timesonline and newsnight..........very upmarket.

Old 13-06-2008, 00:09   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:

well he should send cyfr one as well, cos hes gonna help him. though i notice hes conspicuous by his abscence from this thread. pmsl

Last edited by cashman; 13-06-2008 at 00:13.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 03:33   #56
God Member

Quote:
theres more to this that meets the eye.this was another ploy to try and discredit gordon brown but its going to backfire big time.
Absolute nonsense. Ask anybody who knows David Davis and they will tell you he did this because he believes in it. Nothing at all to do with trying to discredit Brown. If that was his goal, it would probably have been best to not resign, as currently the limelight is off Brown.

Cashman, why should I resign my membership of the party? I don't understand at all.

If Labour have any conviction in their erosion of liberty, they will field a candidate. If they feel they'll get another bloody nose, they'll back off. Lets see what happens.

Last edited by andrewb; 13-06-2008 at 03:36.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 03:36   #57
Resting in Peace

I think he is paving the way to becoming the next tory leader, must be a chess player
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 08:06   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Absolute nonsense. Ask anybody who knows David Davis and they will tell you he did this because he believes in it. Nothing at all to do with trying to discredit Brown. If that was his goal, it would probably have been best to not resign, as currently the limelight is off Brown.

Cashman, why should I resign my membership of the party? I don't understand at all.

If Labour have any conviction in their erosion of liberty, they will field a candidate. If they feel they'll get another bloody nose, they'll back off. Lets see what happens.
thats also nonsense, folk know he believes in it no question, but also did it fer selfish reasons, he has well damaged yer partys leadership, no question about that. a very self centered man. i too hope labour stand, i will be very interested in the reaction of the local public to this pantomime.
Old 13-06-2008, 09:09   #59
Give, give, give member

I'm still trying to understand how this crusader for civil liberties, is also in favour of the reintroduction of the death penalty.

Although Derek Bently received a Royal Pardon and the conviction was eventually set aside, forty five years after he was hanged, they couldn't raise him from the dead, in order to restore his civil liberty.

Old 13-06-2008, 09:54   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'm still trying to understand how this crusader for civil liberties, is also in favour of the reintroduction of the death penalty.

Although Derek Bently received a Royal Pardon and the conviction was eventually set aside, forty five years after he was hanged, they couldn't raise him from the dead, in order to restore his civil liberty.
Well Rindi you have refered to public opinion on the 42 day issue and that most people are in favour, I may just add that even a bigger persentage are in favour of briging back the death penalty not just DD

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..