Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2003, 08:56   #1
God Member

Post Truths, Myths & Legends (1)

There are several stories I've heard over the years - some are true and some possibly are'nt. Here are some of them - any comments?

1) H.M. the Queen occaisionally visits a friend of hers in a house just off Dill Hall Lane. It's all done very low key - she drives herself in a Landrover, the limo and police outriders being to conspicuous. When there, H.M. & her friend often pop out into Gatty Park, sit on the swings and share a cheese butty.

Has anyone here possibly seen Her Majesty? Or have I got the park wrong?

2) Is it true that at the height of the cold war, amongst the top 10 western thermo-nuclear targets of the Kremlin, was the old Accrington Superloo? (Who here remembers the superloo? For those who don't, it used to be where the Arndale now is). The reason was that theycould not work out from their satelite photographs what the building was for, so just to be safe they had a dozen ICBM's with 1000 kiloton warheads pointed at it. An awful lot of people in Accy could not work out what the building was for either.

3) King Arthur is buried under the Coppice? Is their any evidence of this

There's more stories, but this is enough for now. Any comments?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-09-2003, 10:40   #2
Jo

Post Re: Truths, Myths & Legends (1)

Mmmm... never heard any of these, but they are most intriuging! Didn't Lord Sandwich used to have a house he stayed in, in or around Accrington! That's maybe why we like jam butties so much....
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2003, 13:12   #3
Senior Member+

[quote author=Tealeaf link=board=general;num=1064480190;start=0#0 date=09/25/03 at 09:56:30]There are several stories I've heard over the years - some are true and some possibly are'nt. Here are some of them - any comments?

often pop out into Gatty Park, sit on the swings and share a cheese butty.

Surely that should have been a Jam Butty while brushing happy ones ponytail
Old 25-09-2003, 13:13   #4

:'(  leave my hair  alone i only got enough for a comb over :'(
happyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2003, 13:15   #5
God Member

Maybe a rabbit butty...
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2003, 13:57   #6
Senior Member+

I much prefer cucumber sandwichs when dining out with my pal lizzie. [smiley=eat_arrow.gif]
Old 25-09-2003, 15:49   #7
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

;D  I'm sure if King Arthur was buried under the Coppice, my dog would've dug him up by now [smiley=dogrun.gif]

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..