Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2010, 20:08   #1
Senior Member+

UK Identity Cards

I have just been told that a person holding only a UK ID Card - no passport, was not allowed to board an aircraft at Manchester. I have no information on where the flight was going.
I do know that French Citizens can travel by air, to and from UK.

Can anyone throw any further light on this please.
Accrington Web
Old 16-03-2010, 20:15   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: UK Identity Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I have just been told that a person holding only a UK ID Card - no passport, was not allowed to board an aircraft at Manchester. I have no information on where the flight was going.
I do know that French Citizens can travel by air, to and from UK.

Can anyone throw any further light on this please.
It would appear he just Hopped over.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 20:30   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
It would appear he just Hopped over.
Sorry, too clever for me, I just cannot see the connection between my post and your response?
Old 16-03-2010, 20:42   #4
God Member

They advertise that you only need the id card to travel through Europe. Perhaps they were going elsewhere
Old 16-03-2010, 21:07   #5

WHile it may be advertised I have heard that you still need a passport as the card is so new.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 21:13   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Sorry, too clever for me, I just cannot see the connection between my post and your response?
For those peoples that do not speaka the Engllish here is were I am comings from If you have gotta the ticket and nobody knows where you are goings to you are in stuck inna the deep enda

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 21:29   #7
JFT96

Quote:
I have just been told that a person holding only a UK ID Card - no passport, was not allowed to board an aircraft at Manchester. I have no information on where the flight was going
and there is the problem. We don't know where this 'person' was traveling, it is quite possible to use a ID card to travel to and from a EU state, the quote off the government website is here;
Quote:
when you go abroad - the card can be used just like a passport when you travel within the European Economic Area and Switzerland
However this card does not replace your passport and has no value outside of the EU. You would not be refused boarding, as you would never get that far, you would actually be turned away at check in, this is where the agent will check if you have the correct documents. Some airlines will only allow travel with a passport, regardless of EU rules. If the airline get it wrong and allow you to use a ID card, then you get turned away at destination, the airline have a duty to bring you home and can be liable for a very large fine.

Some airlines even require passports on domestic flights, it is a way of identity checking.

You have been warned.
Personally I have to carry my passport, even though I have a Company ID Badge, a Airport Security Badge (Airside pass, much harder to get than a Govt ID card) and if we stop anywhere I only need a General Declaration of Crew, always carried to enter any country in the world. it saves problems.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 07:04   #8

I needed a passport to fly to Ireland a few weeks ago, that was with Ryanair.

It was tiring on my arms though, next time I'll use a bigger book as it flies better
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 07:16   #9
JFT96

Well if you fly with scumbag airlines, sorry ryanair, what do you expect.
they even have a new safety card....

Last edited by Boeing Guy; 17-03-2010 at 07:18.
Old 17-03-2010, 09:08   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Well if you fly with scumbag airlines, sorry ryanair, what do you expect.
they even have a new safety card....
It appears Ryanair ain't to popular with you BG
Old 17-03-2010, 10:02   #11
Senior Member+

I have flown Ryanair a number of times between UK & France - cheap, additional costs at your choosing, and on a 1 hour, or so, flight, do you really need a drink, or food, but they get you there with minimum delay - you get what you pay for.
Of course the "Big Boys" don't like them, look at the revenue they are being deprived of. I have flown on over 20 different airlines, from all continents except Australasia/Antartica - the worst, British Airways - the best, Emirates, but Ryanair are nearer the top than the bottom of my list.
However back to the thread - the Government Website says it is good for travel between UK and all EU countries + Switzerland. The thread was posted in an attempt to ascertain the facts in order that a Lady member of Accyweb does not have to pay an unneccessary £60 or so, for a passport.
Old 17-03-2010, 10:03   #12
JFT96

Jaysay, You could say that..... Most crew both pointy bit and cabin don't have a lot of time for Mr O'leary.
I try not to fly by them when possible, mainly on principal. The way he treats his staff is reminiscent of the good old days back in the late 1900's.
I know it is a bit of a thread creep, but just to let you know a new first officer there, has to pay for everything, uniform, training, id badge, car parking, hotel, positioning etc and he/she does not get paid for the first 6 months flying.... Not sure about the cabin crew, but would not surprise me if they were treated the same.
It is only a matter of time until they have a big problem in the air.

Last edited by Boeing Guy; 17-03-2010 at 10:05.
Old 17-03-2010, 10:05   #13
JFT96

Barrie glad I could help

Old 17-03-2010, 10:05   #14
Give, give, give member

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/tra...cle5815088.ece

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 10:07   #15
JFT96

rindi, you need to look at PPrune.org.....
hehehehe

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..