Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2014, 19:14   #16
Beacon of light

Re: UKIP win a seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
I am a firm believer in everyone voting. As far as I'm concerned anyone who does not vote should have no opinion at all on what ever the government or local council does. I am told that in Australia it is an offence not to vote and folk are fined for not doing so.
Yes, it is an offence not to vote in Oz.
I do not agree with your view that if you do not vote,then you have no right to an opinion.
The majority of people in this country do not vote.....and if a law was brought in to make them vote, would that make politicians better at listening to their constituents? I somehow don't think it would.

The reason many people do not vote is that they feel disaffected with politicians.
Their vote changes nothing so why bother?
This does not mean that they have no opinion.It means that their opinion is not considered by those who they voted for.

Politicians are so far removed from the real lives that their voters live....they might just as well be on another planet.
Everything is down to spin and sound bites, with precious little in the way of discernible action.
They talk the talk, but fail to walk the walk.

I have to believe in what those who want my vote tell me, before I can vote for them.
I vote with my conscience. I think about who I am voting for and consider what they can do to make life better for the common man.....if you can show me this person, I will consider casting my vote for them....until then I will continue to scribble on my ballot paper....none of the above.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-10-2014, 19:20   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thats exactly why i'm voting UKIP, you choose to mess up yer ballot paper, your choice fair enough, my way is this.
Old 10-10-2014, 19:20   #18

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Its a total myth that only tory voters are turning to UKIP, or that a vote for UKIP is a vote for Labour.

Last night Labour scraped home in its own heartland, thanks to massive activist involvement over the past week including almost 200 running around like lunatics yesterday banging on about how the tories weren't active in the area.

The victorious labour candidate suffered howls of derision as she began her prepared speech, obviously written by spin doctors expecting a resounding victory, and went on to deride the tories even though her closest rival was UKIP.

Milliband is claiming a victory, banging out a speech about tories being crap and labour being good whilst totally ignoring that UKIP pushed them within 600 votes, refusing to answer any media questions about people who want out of europe and controlled immigration and pretty much hiding behind the bookshelves in the library.

Speaking of the prepared speech from Heywood...check out the comment from the returning officer at 2.16

Currently the Labour party is dead in the water..they will lose the scottish contingent and every single northern seat will be up for grabs by UKIP next year....expect a U turn on immigration and Europe.
cashman likes this.
Old 10-10-2014, 19:42   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
If I remember rightly Cashman, Cameron promised before the last election that is the Tories won he would give us a referendum on Europe so don't see why anyone would believe him this time round.
Wasn't it voted down in the House of Commons - didn't our MP say he would vote for a referendum and then became a turncoat at the vote because his Lord & Master - Mr Ed said "You will vote against the motion, F your electorate"
BERNADETTE likes this.
Old 10-10-2014, 19:51   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Wasn't it voted down in the House of Commons - didn't our MP say he would vote for a referendum and then became a turncoat at the vote because his Lord & Master - Mr Ed said "You will vote against the motion, F your electorate"
Yup...Its the condescension from the Labour/Tory politicians that winds me up too. We know best...4 legs good, two legs better

The way they treat the voters as idiots who dont know what they are doing. What is it about these political dinosaurs that makes them think that Joe Public cant see right through their slimy horse manure statements and vote fishing manifestos that instantly disappear after the election. Do they really think that every voter is either a daily mail or a sun reader?

We have almost 50% of our local councillors who have reneged on their council tax and seek the protection of the Data Protection Act to hide behind. Those councillors that fought so hard to stop a Hyndburn retail park (Whitebirk), who now watch as their former allies at Burnley and Blackburn laughingly attract major retailers and have significant retail rebuilding ongoing, whilst Hyndburn now has a market hall shopper.

We have a County Council scrutiny committee who can find nothing wrong with spending Ł4 million on removing lighting on a section of motorway to save Ł10000 a year on the electric bill.

Yet somehow its Joe Public that are too thick to understand right from wrong...go figure
Old 10-10-2014, 20:08   #21
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Re: UKIP win a seat.

Quote:
I am a firm believer in everyone voting. As far as I'm concerned anyone who does not vote should have no opinion at all on what ever the government or local council does. I am told that in Australia it is an offence not to vote and folk are fined for not doing so.
I'm sorry to disappoint you but isn't a democratic society supposed to be built on freedom?
Freedom to speak, freedom to vote, freedom not to vote if you think they are all total toss pots?
I vote if I consider there is someone worth voting for otherwise I spoil my vote, I do this because I am allowed the freedom to choose.
I do think it important that we all make an effort.
However in a free society, even those that can't get off their arse and vote are entitled to an opinion.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 20:19   #22
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats exactly why i'm voting UKIP, you choose to mess up yer ballot paper, your choice fair enough, my way is this.
Well Cashy, all power to your elbow.
I just cannot vote for someone I don't believe in......so we will just have to see who is put up in opposition to our incumbent MP.
Restless likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:42   #23
God Member

I would like to see the ukip manifesto in print they remind me of the snp up here one trick ponies with no substance . They want to privatise the nhs, get rid of the national minimum wage somebody ask them for their policies on employment
Old 11-10-2014, 10:50   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

It dont matter a jot, Labour cocked up big time n are still doing it, The tories are doin the usual, destroy the working class, both need a good kick up the arse.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:01   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
I would like to see the ukip manifesto in print they remind me of the snp up here one trick ponies with no substance . They want to privatise the nhs, get rid of the national minimum wage somebody ask them for their policies on employment
Speaking of no substance...what about that nugget EdM who you support holding a 3 minute press conference yesterday about engaging with voters then point blank refusing to answer any questions from them claiming he was too busy

If any party is 'one trick'..its the labour party who's only trick (just like yours) appears to be tory bashing
Old 11-10-2014, 11:51   #26
God Member

Well you are not informed then lol i am not bashing anybody i just want to know the ukip policy on employment law?
Old 11-10-2014, 11:57   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Perhaps its same as Labours on the E.U.? beggar all.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:03   #28
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Re: UKIP win a seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Perhaps its same as Labours on the E.U.? beggar all.
Whatever labours stance on EUROPEAN is, we've had it from the horses mouth that 95% of us are too dumb to be allowed to decide for ourselves and that it should be left to those that 'know'.
Perhaps, those that 'know' should take time out to ensure that we plebs are informed.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:23   #29
God Member

Still no answer? Ukip are doing a very bad impression of hating europe when most of their politicians are in the european parliament and taking their expenses and wages i still want to know what will be different if we left the European union, i have got an idea about employment law.
Old 11-10-2014, 13:01   #30
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
i just want to know the ukip policy on employment law?
This is a link to UKIP's 2010 General Election Manifesto :-
http://www.politicsresources.net/are...ifesto2010.pdf

I think you will struggle to find anything about their policy on employment law .

Perhaps Hyndburn's local UKIP politicians , Councillors Malcolm Pritchard and Paul Thompson will be able to enlighten you .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..