Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2014, 06:25   #76
Beacon of light

Re: Ukraine

And the USSR should be a summary lesson to all those who want a yoked United States of Europe. It doesn't work....it causes lots of problems and inequalities that cause serious resentment.

As for your rant Guinness...it is allowed once in a while......except I didn't have you down as the 'ranting' type(whatever that is).
Normally your posts are measured and well reasoned.

Pleased to hear that my'specsavers' moment can be overlooked(or at least forgiven).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-04-2014, 07:58   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Yup..guilty as charged..it was a rant. But in my defence, I get a tad irritated when someone dismisses an argument as irrelevant without disproving it.

Anyway Lucysgirl gave a fairly coherent response to my harangue , and fair play to her for doing it without ranting back.

The 'typical tory' was a bit below the belt..but..meh, I'll take any opportunity to attack a tory no matter how tenuous

As for us falling out over a forum post...ain't never gonna happen
I believe you may be referring to my post where I said that I'd followed her link to the three year old thread concerning misleading news (and incidentally saw some interesting research had been done) but admitted to MargaretR that I hadn't fully read all the four pages or followed all the pertinent links contained in those pages in detail. I whole heartedly agree with her about not jumping to conclusions about official propaganda that's put about.

I'm sorry you feel I dismissed the point she made but I can assure you I am in accord with everything MargaretR said about not believing everything one sees or hears. Ultimately, this could mean that when I sort the chaff from the wheat to my own satisfaction, I might just be at odds with others on a subject
cashman and Stevie R like this.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 14:11   #78

I don't understand how an illegal 'government' in Kiev can claim that a referendum in Eastern Ukraine is illegal. I think this will lead to a peaceful partition of Ukraine or (more likely) a civil war resulting in partition.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:00   #79

Civil war it is then! And Obama ramping up the pressure with additional military in E. Europe. Doesn't he realise Putin is NOT Sadam & he really does have WMD?
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 20:35   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
Civil war it is then! And Obama ramping up the pressure with additional military in E. Europe. Doesn't he realise Putin is NOT Sadam & he really does have WMD?
I think it's going to be a long hard haul to settle the situation. From the BBC website which lists a timeline from 1917 it's evident that the ethnic people have been battered between pillar and post and even taking a pinch of salt whilst reading the wikepedia site it's even more entangled the further back in history you go.

BBC News - Ukraine profile - Timeline

Russians in Ukraine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess it will be a case of "softly, softly, catchy monkey"?
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..