Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2008, 09:33   #1
God Member

Underappreciated highlights of our towns

I went to town today to collect some PC speakers off Margaret Pilkington (Thanks Margaret!) and pick up some floor tiles for my mum and I had walked into town and hadn't really contemplated how I was going to actually get home. Fortunately I had a last £10 in my bank otherwise I'd have had to carry them all the way to the top end of ossy.

Anyway, I got the M&M bus because it happened to be there at the time and even better, I knew it stopped right outside my house, so I wouldn't have to walk up the steep hill. Now whilst on the bus I was thinking how pleasant and yet rare it was to find a bus driver quite like the chap that drives that bus, yet so many people seem to turn their noses up at the little bus.

Wouldn't it be a shame to lose that service?

What else can you think of around the local towns that aren't appreciated as much as they should be?

And again, thanks Margaret and thanks to Pam1 who also helped me out recently! It's been a real help.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2008, 11:14   #2
Junior Member+

Re: Underappreciated highlights of our towns

Yeh Ive been getting M & M buses to work every morning. The only thing I dont like is when they stop at the traffic lights for you and the bus starts to move whilst you get off!
trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 11:34   #3
Resident Waffler

I probably take so much for granted. I can't actually think of anything off hand.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 11:36   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trio View Post
Yeh Ive been getting M & M buses to work every morning. The only thing I dont like is when they stop at the traffic lights for you and the bus starts to move whilst you get off!
as the guys doin ya a favour,letting ya get off at the lights, aint a reasonable gripe/
Old 18-09-2008, 14:17   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

What a sad area we live in!

Travelling on a bus is a highlight?

No it isn't, it's something we the populace should expect and if maggie hadn't done her privatising with public transport it should, could, would, have been a darn site better than it is now.

Anybody remember all the clapped out buses that were brought out of retirement and given licences when the scheme first started? No wonder checks even today take buses off the road, when the local councils ran it at least they had proper maintenance and a time-table resembling reality could be published.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 17:26   #6
God Member

But Less, it is the man himself that is what makes the service good, his personality is what makes it a pleasure to get on.

There is nothing wrong with the main bus service but the drivers are miserable and I'm pretty sure that Maggie had more of an effect and lasting impression on the man that drives the M&M's bus than the much younger drivers of the main buses.

Besides, I haven't ever seen Labour do anything to support small local businesses so it is hardly something you can just blame Maggie for. Labour is just as bad for leaving things how they are.
Old 18-09-2008, 17:28   #7
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I dont get the bus anymore...its a bloody rip off!!

Old 18-09-2008, 19:16   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
But Less, it is the man himself that is what makes the service good, his personality is what makes it a pleasure to get on.

There is nothing wrong with the main bus service but the drivers are miserable and I'm pretty sure that Maggie had more of an effect and lasting impression on the man that drives the M&M's bus than the much younger drivers of the main buses.

Besides, I haven't ever seen Labour do anything to support small local businesses so it is hardly something you can just blame Maggie for. Labour is just as bad for leaving things how they are.
Will you please go out and get drunk, then stay drunk enough to keep your fingers off the keyboard? The web isn't ready to compensate for your wanderings, it's too busy trying to keep up with mine!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 19:16   #9
Resting in Peace

If they brought back bus conductors, then I would consider travelling by bus...
But late at night I would not feel safe...
I feel so sorry for the drivers when things kick off; and they often do.
My dad was a bus driver for 20 years and hated it when they got rid of the conductors:
so my car it is:
The same goes with trains... the stations need people in addition to cameras for
security:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 19:31   #10
God Member

M & M buses are old bangers but if one of theirs arrives at the stop first I get on.
The alternative is a Transdev monopoly which would drive up fares.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 19:49   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Will you please go out and get drunk, then stay drunk enough to keep your fingers off the keyboard? The web isn't ready to compensate for your wanderings, it's too busy trying to keep up with mine!
I do come on here drunk sometimes especially when I'm at uni. I would honestly like to know whether people think there are things that go under appreciated in the town though so that I too might think, ah yes, and enjoy it a bit more.

I guess one of the things back in the day would have been the arndale clock, but you don't really appreciate things like that til they are gone.
Old 18-09-2008, 20:01   #12
God Member

Never had any problems with the drivers on Transdev, they all seem quite cheerful to me. Can understand people using the M&M bus as it saves the drag uphill but always found them to be quite poky and quite often non to clean
Old 18-09-2008, 20:10   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i appreciated most of the boozers very much,until they did away with vaults n stuff n opened em all out n made " Plastic Pubs".
Old 19-09-2008, 18:49   #14

Think the via-duct (railway arches) is unappreaciated. Never get tired of looking at it.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 19:06   #15
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Think the via-duct (railway arches) is unappreaciated.
Would second that. Also our canals. We walk them , cycle them, fish them, take them for granted. But not every town has a canal running through it. And when you think of the many years... and the graft that that was involved to build them.... Restoration is long overdue in some areas.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..