Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2008, 20:50   #1

Unemployment Now At 1.79 Million

For the 8th consective month the unemployment figures have increased. September figures show an increase of 31,800 person claiming JobSeekers Allowance and is now at it's worst level since 1999.
According to Ceefax, Gordon Brown refused to comment except to say "Unemployment and redundancies are something we wish to avoid wherever possible and we will help people move into jobs when vacancies exist"

What I would like to know are the true figures for people who have lost their jobs and what are the government really doing to get people back into work. They sure haven't done anything for me and I want to work
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-10-2008, 21:04   #2
K-P

Re: Unemployment Now At 1.79 Million

Well I wasn't on job seekers but the job center recently fell over backwards trying to help me get off income support and go self employed.. Couldnt have asked for more help.. Phone line help thingy for the jobby are poor but when you get to go in and see someone they really pull out all the stops... big thumbs up for the jobby from me
Old 15-10-2008, 21:08   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-P View Post
Well I wasn't on job seekers but the job center recently fell over backwards trying to help me get off income support and go self employed.. Couldnt have asked for more help.. Phone line help thingy for the jobby are poor but when you get to go in and see someone they really pull out all the stops... big thumbs up for the jobby from me

Interesting. I'm thinking of going self employed, I might ask when I go in for my initial 'make you feel worthless' interview on Friday.
Old 15-10-2008, 21:17   #4

Quote:

Maybe because you could claim Income Support you got the help you needed. I sign on every fortnight even though I am not entiltled to any money and the help I receive from the Job Centre is zilch. It may have something to do with me being disabled as well, but I doubt it. I don't get any money so I'm not a drain on the system.
Old 15-10-2008, 21:18   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Interesting. I'm thinking of going self employed, I might ask when I go in for my initial 'make you feel worthless' interview on Friday.
Dave I've done that and been there....I will offer any assistance I can.
Please PM me....but get shut of the 'Wasp' before your interview.
Go with an open mind and listen.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 21:39   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Dave I've done that and been there....I will offer any assistance I can.
Please PM me....but get shut of the 'Wasp' before your interview.
Go with an open mind and listen.
Thank you for the offer. Having just finished my contract last Friday I'm giving myself a couple weeks to find a new job before taking the self employed thing any further.
Old 15-10-2008, 22:49   #7
K-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post

Once you get past the job center and make the decision then the holy grail seems to be a business plan... not for the feint hearted.. but its like a golden key and people throw money at you.. grants and stuff I went on a course to do mine (still ongoing) and I have a business advisor at the globe.. dont cost me owt either.. I dont need a BP as I am up and running.. but wiht one i get doors opened for me .. hard to explain without giving too much personal info away
Old 15-10-2008, 22:52   #8
K-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernature View Post
It may have something to do with me being disabled as well, but I doubt it. I don't get any money so I'm not a drain on the system.
Disabled and signing on you must have a DEA assigned to you,. I am ambulant disabled and have a DEA at the jobby.. very good she is as well..
Old 16-10-2008, 09:36   #9

Quote:
Disabled and signing on you must have a DEA assigned to you,. I am ambulant disabled and have a DEA at the jobby.. very good she is as well..

One was requested for me when I made my initial claim. She was supposed to contact me to arrange an interview. She never did and when I next signed on I asked what had happened. I was told because I am not allowed any money I may not qualify for help. The person who tried to sort it out for me has not got back to me either. Head against a brick wall comes to mind.
Old 16-10-2008, 10:42   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernature View Post
One was requested for me when I made my initial claim. She was supposed to contact me to arrange an interview. She never did and when I next signed on I asked what had happened. I was told because I am not allowed any money I may not qualify for help. The person who tried to sort it out for me has not got back to me either. Head against a brick wall comes to mind.
Change your name by deed Pole MN to something exotic, then you'll have no problems
Old 16-10-2008, 14:39   #11
Passed away 25-11-09

Do the "unemployed" figures include people like Mothernature, who are not entitled to any allowances or benefits, or do they only cover those on JSA etc.?
Old 16-10-2008, 16:05   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Do the "unemployed" figures include people like Mothernature, who are not entitled to any allowances or benefits, or do they only cover those on JSA etc.?
No.........just JSA
Old 16-10-2008, 16:10   #13
God Member

Quote:

i agree K-P, they are excellent when it comes to getting you off benefits to find you work, they have a new thing out now where you can go on a work trial for 3 weeks to get you used to working again and if you dont like the job they will find you another one (you stay on benefits for the 3 weeks you are there) i'm just waiting for a letter from my back to work advisor arranging a date for me to go down and see her then its full steam ahead for me to get a job sorted
Old 16-10-2008, 16:50   #14
God Member

I think something Spuggie wrote the other week expalins why there is a big difference in what help people get;

Quote:
Now I know that there is a points system for the jobcentre staff witch low and behold targets for normal unemployed people. This system gives one point if someone is signs of and gets a job within 6 months but 10 points for over 6 months. The result being little or no help if unemployed less than 6 months but shed loads if out of work more than 6 months.
Old 16-10-2008, 19:09   #15
God Member

no they dont get points anymore cant say much else from afar land..
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..