Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 12:34   #31
God Member

Re: Unidentified bleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Further developments-
I disconnected the cordless radio phone and replaced it with a 'normal' phone but the bleeps continued.
The double bleep returned, and I traced that to be my spare PC which (I think) was 'asking' to be updated, because I hadn't switched it on for 2 months.
Now I have installed updates on it, that double bleep has stopped.
I still have one unidentified single tone bleep - it may be the fridge freezer - the only item that hasn't been unplugged for test purposes.
I will now try to find the instruction book for it, to see if a bleep is mentioned in it.
Meanwhile the problem has been halved and I can live with that.
Thanks for your suggestions
You don't use heated rollers by any chance?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-12-2008, 12:37   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
You don't use heated rollers by any chance?
NO - and if that means you imagine me as Nora Batty - I identify more with Edie(Thora Hird) - my mum was her lookaliky - and one of my exes was a motor mechanic

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 15:41   #33
God Member

Quote:
The double bleep returned, and I traced that to be my spare PC which (I think) was 'asking' to be updated, because I hadn't switched it on for 2 months.
It wouldn't beep if it was turned off

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 15:42   #34

Unplug the fridge/freezer Margaret, it will stay cold/frozen for at least 10 hours depending on how often you open it but long enough to check the beep.
ossykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 15:53   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
I thought that too but a switch on and update has cured it - it was connected to a Livebox by an ethernet cable - perhaps that was doing the bleeping - they are adjacent to each other.

Still considering whether to mess withh freezer - thanks anyway

Old 05-12-2008, 16:24   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Or will it
Might do when the CMOS battery is ready for changing - not sure if it does it when not turned on though, you get the bleep codes at boot up which tell you certain things and low CMOS battery is one of them

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:14   #37
God Member

I didn't think cmos bleeped when not turned on. Would be a bit of a waste of it's battery? Not like its a fire alarm

Have you identified the bleep yet? This has gone on for a while, you must be going batty.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:34   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I didn't think cmos bleeped when not turned on. Would be a bit of a waste of it's battery? Not like its a fire alarm

Have you identified the bleep yet? This has gone on for a while, you must be going batty.
Another one mistaking me for Norah must change avatar
The double bleep was the worst one - now gone.
This single bleep is not as loud and intrusive - I can cope

Old 06-12-2008, 14:44   #39
I am Banned

Quote:
The double bleep was the worst one - now gone.
This single bleep is not as loud and intrusive - I can cope
Aw Margaret don't change your avatar, we know your not a Nora Batty look a like, its just a bit of fun. I've been told by some I look like Freddy Kruger from Nightmare on Elm St, others have called me Greengrass. Does'nt bother me.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 17:02   #40
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I didn't think cmos bleeped when not turned on. Would be a bit of a waste of it's battery?
I have never come across one that did yet. I did wonder if it was on standby and not shut down. The other explaination is that since ATX PSU's came along they do have a constant 5v supply to the motherboard. It is used for switching the PC on as well as wake on lan and other wake up PC functions like serial and mouse, keyboard etc. So maybe it was bleeping for something - maybe just to remind you it was on standby.
Old 28-12-2008, 11:19   #41
I am Banned

MargaretR

When Maragret suggested changing her avatar, it set me to thinking, every one should have their true likeness on display.

So at great expense, I've had my photo taken, and the new avatar is me.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 12:52   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
When Maragret suggested changing her avatar, it set me to thinking, every one should have their true likeness on display.
I've been thinking for a while that we should have "avatar day" at the shop- where any accywebbers can come in and get their photo taken and have it sent by email in the right format along with instructions for changing their avatar.

I wasn't thinking it necessarily needs to be true likeness though- any object which best "describes" the member will do.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 09:27   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
MargaretR

So at great expense, I've had my photo taken, and the new avatar is me.

Retlaw.
Well the hat matches, but not sure about the fingernails Retlaw
Old 29-12-2008, 11:32   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
I've been thinking for a while that we should have "avatar day" at the shop- where any accywebbers can come in and get their photo taken and have it sent by email in the right format along with instructions for changing their avatar.

I wasn't thinking it necessarily needs to be true likeness though- any object which best "describes" the member will do.
Sounds like a good idea but will some of us not scare off potential new members with our mugs in the avatar box????

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 14:46   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
I've been thinking for a while that we should have "avatar day" at the shop...
Sounds like a good idea but will some of us not scare off potential new members with our mugs in the avatar box????
Not if the two accyweb babes who were in the shop a couple of hours ago are anything to go by.

Doesn't need to be faces: If you're a musician, bring in your instrument (ooer). If you're a petrolhead, we'll get your car in the frame. etc

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..