Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-03-2010, 22:28   #16
JFT96

Re: Unions flexing their muscles again

Well I'd sack Willie too, and Michael O Leary as well.

Okay I am against the strike, but not for any right wing, Thatcherite reason.

BA cabin crew earn average 30K per year, at least double the average Cabin Crew salary. In fact most pilots who fly you on holiday don't earn that and those at a certain Irish LoCo don't earn anything for the first year.

BA Aircraft are overmanned, this harks back to the good old days when they were a good airline to fly with.

The have picked a very bad time to do this, BA are floundering, lots of reasons, but most of the industry is suffering at the moment. This is a worse period for the industry than just after the 911 attacks.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-03-2010, 22:36   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Are B.A. overmanned in yer honest opinion? or are the others undermanned? aint having a pop, just asking a relevant question.
Old 20-03-2010, 22:44   #18
JFT96

Well Cashy, if the industry regulatory body ICAO is right, the you only need 1 cabin crew per 50 pax. I think the rest of the industry should put more cabin crew on board.

But as it is driven by customers wishing to pay less and less to go away, you can fly on a £60 million aircraft from Manchester to London for less than half the train fare, nothing will happen.

Old 20-03-2010, 22:58   #19
Give, give, give member

They don't make 'em like they used to.

No finesse.

Serving stuffed olives at 29,000 feet, and not a whiff of a panty girdle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trollydolly.jpg (25.6 KB, 9 views)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 23:02   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Well Cashy, if the industry regulatory body ICAO is right, the you only need 1 cabin crew per 50 pax. I think the rest of the industry should put more cabin crew on board.

But as it is driven by customers wishing to pay less and less to go away, you can fly on a £60 million aircraft from Manchester to London for less than half the train fare, nothing will happen.
Cheers fer a straight answer, ya shouldn't really be a tory Boeing Guy.
Old 20-03-2010, 23:04   #21
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Cheers fer a straight answer, ya shouldn't really be a tory Boeing Guy.
Seconded.

Thanks for your insight, from an industry insider's point of view.

Old 20-03-2010, 23:09   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
BA cabin crew earn average 30K per year, at least double the average Cabin Crew salary. In fact most pilots who fly you on holiday don't earn that and those at a certain Irish LoCo don't earn anything for the first year.

Did you know that same airline only pay cabin crew while they are in the air? So if they are delayed they get nothing while waiting. I forget now what I was told on Friday about what they are paid and hour by the boyfriend of a girl who flys with them.
Old 20-03-2010, 23:32   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I was told on Friday about what they are paid and hour by the boyfriend of a boy who flys with them.
Not soft Mick?

Old 21-03-2010, 08:01   #24
JFT96

ashy, you are welcome.

Neil, same with the pilots. They get paid for the scheduled flight time only.
No pay for reporting 1 hour before the flight nor for the turn around or for the 30 mins after flight. Also all uniform, courses, parking, id badges etc costs are deducted from their pay.
If ever a workforce should stand up and strike they are it.

Just for info a quote from said companies website re Cabin Crew...
Quote:
Excellent earnings based on your efforts - new contract crew can expect to earn £900-£1,100/€1,100-€1,400 per month after tax in year 1.
and

Quote:
The Boeing 737-800 Cabin Crew Initial Training Course is an intensive six week training course covering all aspects of the job from passenger safety to customer services. With successful completion of this course you will receive your wings and be qualified to work on board XXXXX aircraft.

As the training is conducted by a third party provider there is a fee - the cost can be deducted from your salary during your first 12 months. Full details will be provided at the recruitment days.
I forgot to add that the pilots and cabin crew are contractors, not employed by them so there are no safety nets for them, not even sick pay.

Got to go, working to day, Taxi to Marrakesh then fly to Paris Orly, no its no glamorous just work....

Last edited by Boeing Guy; 21-03-2010 at 08:10.
Old 21-03-2010, 08:12   #25
JFT96

I meant Cashy, you are welcome.

Old 21-03-2010, 08:16   #26
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I meant Cashy, you are welcome.

If you knew how much he smoked you too would realise how appropriate Ashy just might be.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 08:18   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'British prime minister Gordon Brown has condemned the strike, saying it is in no-one's interest.'
Airline strike fails to halt BA - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

That event seems highly unlikely.

I'm sure the government are spitting feathers, that there are two major strikes planned, so close to an election.

'Their intransigence is beginning to hurt the government’s standing, as the YouGov/Sunday Times poll shows today.'
The unions ride to Cameron’s rescue | Martin Ivens - Times Online

No matter what the stiking trade unionists have for deciding to time their actions now, it's lunacy to think the government will be happy, and that Brown is in favour, and is supportive of the unionists, because he isn't. With just reason, according to the latest voting intention polls.

Old 21-03-2010, 09:52   #28
God Member

Quote:
'Their intransigence is beginning to hurt the government’s standing, as the YouGov/Sunday Times poll shows today.'
The unions ride to Cameron’s rescue | Martin Ivens - Times Online

No matter what the stiking trade unionists have for deciding to time their actions now, it's lunacy to think the government will be happy, and that Brown is in favour, and is supportive of the unionists, because he isn't. With just reason, according to the latest voting intention polls.
I'm sure he's not 'happy' about it. His delay in coming out against the strike, and refusing to back workers who want to cross the picket lines and continue to work, shows he is in the pockets of the unions. Unite alone has donated £11 million to Labour, only since Brown has been PM. They are vested interests that won't allow much needed reform to happen.
Old 21-03-2010, 10:17   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Unite alone has donated £11 million to Labour, only since Brown has been PM. They are vested interests that won't allow much needed reform to happen.
As opposed to those donors who fund the Tory party, like Lord Ashcroft, who don't have a vested interest, and provide money that should really have been paid in taxes, and who give, give, give, in acts of true altruism.

Old 21-03-2010, 10:44   #30
God Member

Quote:
As opposed to those donors who fund the Tory party, like Lord Ashcroft, who don't have a vested interest, and provide money that should really have been paid in taxes, and who give, give, give, in acts of true altruism.

Ashcroft to Conservative last year: 1% of Party Funding

Unions to Labour last year: 60% of Party Funding

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..