Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2010, 21:40   #91
God Member

Re: Unions flexing their muscles again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
It's difficult to take an objective view over any strike situation. There are clearly rights and wrongs on both sides of any given dispute. But essentially it is the consumer who suffers, either through lack of service or personal loss. Yes, unions plainly do have a part to play in negotiating what they see as best for their members, but this should never be at an increased cost to those who are often left stranded on the fringe of things when problems become insurmountable through the intransigence of the parties involved.
All very good Stumped and most right thinking people would agree with you.. but where is the line drawn between servicing the public or being shoved into a postion were there is no other option but to make a stand?.. who has the responsibilty to serve the customers?.. the workforce or the directors?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-03-2010, 21:43   #92
Beacon of light

There is awlays someone ready to jump into the breech left by those who withdraw their labour.......this was never more true than today when an eastern eurpoean worker will jump at the chance to do the job once done by one of us.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 21:54   #93
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
There is awlays someone ready to jump into the breech left by those who withdraw their labour.......this was never more true than today when an eastern eurpoean worker will jump at the chance to do the job once done by one of us.
Very true.. but then again not so long ago a strong union would not allow that.. think about it..umm... I know it that maybe hard work for you but maybe you could order a brain from the pizza takeaway and have it delivered.. (by some ****** from the eastern block)
Old 21-03-2010, 22:00   #94
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
All very good Stumped and most right thinking people would agree with you.. but where is the line drawn between servicing the public or being shoved into a postion were there is no other option but to make a stand?.. who has the responsibilty to serve the customers?.. the workforce or the directors?
The buck should always stop at the man at the top, after all that's what he's payed for - and pretty well, too by all accounts.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 22:05   #95
God Member

Quote:
Very true.. but then again not so long ago a strong union would not allow that.. think about it..umm... I know it that maybe hard work for you but maybe you could order a brain from the pizza takeaway and have it delivered.. (by some ****** from the eastern block)
No need for that Marg always puts forward a well thought out balanced response and insults are belittling you not her Mancie so think before you post
Old 21-03-2010, 22:14   #96
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
No need for that Marg always puts forward a well thought out balanced response and insults are belittling you not her Mancie so think before you post
Yes it was a "well balanced" but if people have the attitude that you work you work till you drop for fear of some eastern european taking your job, then we are really going back to the Victorian age.. an age were most of us would be dead before middle age...some people crave for those times..those people are idiots.

Last edited by Mancie; 21-03-2010 at 22:16.
Old 21-03-2010, 23:08   #97
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Yes it was a "well balanced" but if people have the attitude that you work you work till you drop for fear of some eastern european taking your job, then we are really going back to the Victorian age.. an age were most of us would be dead before middle age...some people crave for those times..those people are idiots.
They were poor, but they were happy Mancie.

...and a girl with Rickets would be able to cover her unsightly disability, because dresses and skirts were longer in the good old days. So even she'd be happy in her ignorance.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 11:03   #98
Beacon of light

Quote:
Mancie, you do not advance your argument by making cheap jibes.
I do have a brain, I can think, and it isn't hard work for me to think........I don't need to order a brain from a takeaway pizza place.

Before I retired I had a taxing and responsible job.
I would thank you not to insult me to try and win points.
I do not belittle you for your opinions, so please have the courtesy to offer me the same respectfor my opinions.
Oh and just by the way I have no political affilliation, which is why I will take a pin with me to the polling booth.
Old 22-03-2010, 11:17   #99
Give, give, give member

Quote:
...which is why I will take a pin with me to the polling booth.
No violence, Marg!

Oh, sorry, the pin's to help you to decide who to vote for, and not a weapon.

Apologies.

Old 22-03-2010, 11:39   #100
Beacon of light

got it in one Gary!
Old 22-03-2010, 11:50   #101
Give, give, give member

Quote:
got it in one Gary!
Phew.

I had visions of you going charging in, with a lethal lookin' hat pin.

Old 22-03-2010, 14:53   #102
Resting in Peace

Quote:
So the "beleaguered" coal miners and steel workers would have been better off if they had towed the line and not questioned any job cuts, pay cuts, worked 12 hours a day under conditions that meant you were dead before your kids?... I don't know how old you are Stumped but I know old Tory "values" when I see them.. go back to living in your dream of the good old days when t'boss at t'mill would send round a loaf of bread if you were off sick for a month.
There was only one winner in the miners strike Mancie that was Scargill, he went into the strike with a big union and a little house and came out of it with a little Union and a great big house
Old 22-03-2010, 15:05   #103
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Mancie, you do not advance your argument by making cheap jibes.
I do have a brain, I can think, and it isn't hard work for me to think........I don't need to order a brain from a takeaway pizza place.

Before I retired I had a taxing and responsible job.
I would thank you not to insult me to try and win points.
I do not belittle you for your opinions, so please have the courtesy to offer me the same respectfor my opinions.
Oh and just by the way I have no political affilliation, which is why I will take a pin with me to the polling booth.
Take no notice of Mancie Margaret, nobody else does, just laugh and pull your tongue out
Old 22-03-2010, 15:07   #104
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Take no notice of Mancie Margaret, nobody else does, just laugh and pull your tongue out

I am far too much of a lady to do that Jaysay
Old 22-03-2010, 15:14   #105
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I am far too much of a lady to do that Jaysay
yer only copying me as i'm a gentleman.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..