Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2011, 17:57   #16
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Untidy Hyndburn - Please Post Your Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Take a picture with your phone next time
Oh hang on a sec', are you after starting a riot ? You'll have everyone getting apprehended by plastic coppers & clueless plods stating the Sect 44 terrorism act 2000 !
Old 27-06-2011, 18:01   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Apply for funding.

Sounds like a super community art project.

Flash begging - a new concept in creative cadging.

We could have them all sat on those forms in that big, useless space in the market hall asking passing shoppers for 50p.

One way of keeping 'em off the streets!
Old 27-06-2011, 18:10   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Will try and take one tomorrow.

One of Accy's biggest grot spot is yards from the Town Hall.

The back that runs off Dutton Street, behind the video shop.

Piles of disgusting filth, which has been there for months.

I know you can report it, but we already have the correct department on speed-dial for Ossy, and just presume someone will clear it, but they don't.
Are these what you mean?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-06-27 18.46.37.jpg (540.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-06-27 18.46.50.jpg (392.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-06-27 18.47.42.jpg (520.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-06-27 18.47.51.jpg (450.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 27-06-2011, 18:16   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Here are 2 more.

The first is on Fairfield Street right outside Fairfield Childrens Centre. That litter blows in from somewhere and is almost always there. Lets teach our kids young we dont care

The second one is at the end of one of the off road parking bays opposite the Pop club on Wellington Street

Please excuse the picture quality, they are taken with a phone some using the digital zoom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-06-27 18.42.01.jpg (439.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-06-27 18.52.46.jpg (508.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 27-06-2011, 18:16   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Are these what you mean?
Yes, I think someone's been down with a broom though.

The power of Accy Web.

I'll take one every Tuesday, if it's still bad.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 21:04   #21

i would just like to say, i work for the council, me and my work colleagues work very hard day in day out, now with all the cutbacks, certain rounds and jobs that have been cut, due to the spending cuts from the government, we are working harder than ever in all weathers, to give you all the best service we can. Its no surprise the council are to blame, not the dirty scumbags who leave the mess or the people who damage the parks,areas and propertys. It never suprises me that people are always negative towards most things, especially the council, people would never dream of taking a picture of the well maintained bowling greens or flowerbeds, all the community gardens ie like the new one near the Alma pub in Baxenden or maybe the mess in the town centre after the weekend drinking and how clean it is before 9 in the morning.
Im a member of the public too aswell as working for the council, although things arn't perfect, i respect everyone who does there best, even though it may not be to everyones standards.
nevvy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 21:09   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

get off yer high horse nevvy nobodys knocking you lot, plus theres loads of pics on this site of nice well kept areas, if you took the trouble to look.
Old 27-06-2011, 21:17   #23
Senior Member+

I agree with cashy the lads at the sharp end who work for the council do in the majority want to do a good job which is made harder and harder by cuts , red tape and over the top health and safety. So as cashy says no ones having a go at you nevvy.
Old 27-06-2011, 21:22   #24
Beacon of light

Nevvy, I don't think anyone would devalue the work that you guys do, but it must be like shovelling fleas across a farmyard........never completely done!
People do not respect their surroundings. It makes you wonder when you see people dropping fag ends and Greggs paper bags, what their lounge carpet is like.......but I bet they don't do it at home.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 21:53   #25
Senior Member+

Yep must be like herding cats
Old 28-06-2011, 06:14   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevvy69 View Post
Im a member of the public too aswell as working for the council, although things arn't perfect, i respect everyone who does there best, even though it may not be to everyones standards.
I think you have missed my point.
There are not enough council workers who do the tasks you mentioned in your post now and with any cuts at all in front line workers things will get worse.

We don't have enough boots on the ground cleaning our streets and maintaining our parks and open spaces. This is blatantly obvious to anyone who walks around the borough to see.

I am involved with parks and green spaces so more about it than cleansing so I will give you an example.

Green flag is a standard for parks that I really don't like. I think it should be a minimum standard but here in Hyndburn it appears to be a target many parks fall well short of. Recently it was judging time again so it was a case of every available body in the parks being judged which has left other neglected because there are not enough people to keep the parks that achieve green flag at that standard without neglecting others.

I use the work neglect often, some may think its harsh but if you look at the very few pictures I posted you will see why I use it.

I don't blame our park keepers/gardeners for this, I blame those who dont provide enough of them. Some of the pictures are of my local park, Rhyddings park, we have one bloke in there trying to look after it on his own. He works hard, is friendly, polite and really helpful but he is just one man and at times he is pulled out to work elsewhere, he has no chance of keeping it like it should be. The standard is going downhill and it will get worse unless money is put in and not taken out of parks and cleansing.

I have not mentioned the community groups that work with the councils parks dept. Together they have raised over £3.5 millions in the last 5 or so years. Without the groups working with the council most of that money would not have come to Hyndburn. Imagine how grim our parks would be now without this partnership approach we have.

Its time for the council to show us they do care, to return some of the commitment we the people have given to them and show us they do care as much as we care.

I need to take a chill pill now.
Old 28-06-2011, 06:34   #27
Beacon of light

Neil, I bet you feel better now you have got that off your chest.

I think that some people think that the park fairy looks after everything. They don't realise how much work goes into keeping these places in a neat and tidy condition.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 07:33   #28

I'd just like to say that Hyndburn is a lot better than many other places for litter. It is often the rubbish wagons themselves who leave most litter as it spills into the road when being collected. Luckily for me if this happens where I live, and it probably does occasionally, a mechanical sweeper comes round next day and cleans it up. So well done for that.

Some cities also have one park ranger covering 3 or more parks. Absolutely appalling state of affairs, but the way cuts are going this might happen here too There used to be a time when everyone scrubbed their own doorstep and kept their fronts clean and tidy. You don't see that any more.
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

http://gobbinland.com/
Gobbiner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 07:41   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbiner17 View Post
There used to be a time when everyone scrubbed their own doorstep and kept their fronts clean and tidy. You don't see that any more.
Yes you do.

Maybe not to the same extent, but lots of people do keep their houses, and the area outside, clean and tidy.

Certainly myself, and all my neighbour, and members of my family, all do this, and we're not alone.

Old 28-06-2011, 07:44   #30
Give, give, give member

Slightly off topic, but if the alley off Dutton Street is a mess today, and I photograph it on my phone, is there a way of posting it on here?

I'm a bit thick when it comes to stuff like that.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..