Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2004, 10:47   #1

Vacation

Well, we are supposed to be going to North Carolina for a week tomorrow. Unfortunately, here comes hurricane Jeanne heading straight for us. Coming in to work this morning "I95 North" (the interstate we will use to leave the area) is absolutely packed with people running from the storm so we may not be able to go. However, if you don't hear from me until Monday 4th. October, please don't presume I have been blown away. I shall return.

JohnW

Last edited by JohnW; 24-09-2004 at 11:30.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2004, 11:26   #2
Junior Member+

Red face Re: Vacation

take an umbrella with you and some waterproofs
angiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 11:35   #3
Member.

Re: Vacation

You enjoy yourself John. I should think you need the rest after this past month... don't forget to send us a post card.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 12:16   #4

Thanks Doug, See postcard above. That will have to do I'm afraid. See ya'll in a week and a bit.

JohnW
Old 24-09-2004, 13:22   #5
Resident Waffler

Hope you do get your holiday.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 16:46   #6
God Member

What's this Iv'e read, John, about Hurricane Ivan turning around and heading for Houston, Texas??
Old 24-09-2004, 16:52   #7
Resting in peace

Try Blackpool next time JohnW, it has breezes as well, but you get rock, shrimps and jugs of tea for the sands thrown in!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 16:54   #8
Senior Member+

JW get out its heading stright for St Augustine, we get the rements on Monday oh well another day off work, would be great if I wasnt self employed.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 17:24   #9

Hope you manage to get your holiday JohnW and that you have a great time, you deserve it after what you have had to go through this last few weeks.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 17:31   #10
mez
God Member

hope you manage to have a great vacation j.w & hope you can relax too good luck to you & the family.
Old 24-09-2004, 18:54   #11
Accy Goddess

Enjoy your vacation John.
You deserve it after all you have been through.
Good luck.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2004, 14:29   #12
Senior Member+

I suppose you guys are probably as sick as us about hearing hurricane news. Well we got away with 3 but as I type this Tampa is getting rocked by 67mph winds we have lost a couple of trees and the street is running water, at the moment I cant go outside and stand up so I will get some photos later. Our power is still on because we have under ground power lines but if the above ground transformer goes then we will be with out electric. Wow this is scary you cant see anything outside because of the rain but you can hear booms as the wind spirals around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg street.jpg (6.3 KB, 27 views)

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2004, 15:03   #13
Member.

I don’t think we will ever get tired of hearing from or, caring about our friends out there Baz. I’m sure everyone will agree with that. Keep your heads down out there and stay safe. It looks a bit grim on the news. Maybe a wet day in accy is something we should be grateful for.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:48   #14

Hi Y'all,

Well, back safe and sound after a great week off in North Carolina. We were consdidering postponing our departure until after the storm passed, but a kind neighbour said he would have a look round our house after the storm and board up any windows which were broken, so we set out and left the house to its own devices. The neighbour called and let us know that the house suffered no damage and so we were glad we decided not to ride it out.

We did get the remnants of it up in the Carolinas but it was just a bit of rain for a couple of days, not too bad at all. So, all in all, we have been very lucky and have suffered no ill effects, just the inconvenience of having to take outside furniture and stuff into the garage so that it did not fly around etc., and some loss of power for a few days.

Good to be back, I hope everyone is OK in good old Lancashire. I will try and catch up with the news by reading some of the posts today.

Cheers for now.

JohnW
Old 04-10-2004, 11:04   #15
God Member

Welcome back Pal! Glad to hear that everything is OK.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..