Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 15:39   #1
I am Banned

Question vaccine shot

No doubt there's already a thread somewhere on accyweb about vaccines and this thread will be deleted or moved but anyway, i recieved a letter this morning from my GP basically saying it's vaccine time and i should get a flu/pneumonia jab. i find this strange since i've not seen my GP since i was about 12 nor had any sort of serious illness for donkeys yrs(touch wood), (needless to say i'm not going) i can only assume it's all about money.has anyone had this jab or got a letter recently?
Chris SUI JURIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-10-2012, 15:43   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: vaccine shot

Got the letter oer 1 week ago, Had me jab on sat morning, always have mine, one year awhile back i missed it n was in bed fer 2 weeks nearly wi flu.
Old 08-10-2012, 15:43   #3
Beacon of light

yes I got a letter too....I guess it is related to my age. I've become and old codger.
I won't be going either. I'm sure that GP's practices have targets to meet when it comes to these things....and that their funds are reduced if they do not reach the targets.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 15:54   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Got the letter oer 1 week ago, Had me jab on sat morning, always have mine, one year awhile back i missed it n was in bed fer 2 weeks nearly wi flu.
i'm still in 2minds about it as i've been led to believe they dumb us down if thats the right termanology.
1.do you honestly think it was down to not having the jab?
2.have you or any1 for that matter had the jab and still caught this virus?
Old 08-10-2012, 15:58   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SUI JURIS View Post
i'm still in 2minds about it as i've been led to believe they dumb us down if thats the right termanology.
1.do you honestly think it was down to not having the jab?
2.have you or any1 for that matter had the jab and still caught this virus?
Yeh am near sure its that reason, cos used to have em at work wi me job fer many years, and before i started yon used to get flu regular, never did after. and no i never knew anyone who got the virus after taking jab, though know a few that got very slight symptoms,if that helps.
Old 08-10-2012, 15:58   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
yes I got a letter too....I guess it is related to my age. I've become and old codger.
I won't be going either. I'm sure that GP's practices have targets to meet when it comes to these things....and that their funds are reduced if they do not reach the targets.
well i can put your mind at rest it's nothing to do with age margaret as some would say i'm still a pup, i'd have to agree on the latter tho
Old 08-10-2012, 16:01   #7
God Member

The last time I had a flu shot was Oct 2007 and had my last dose of flu a few weeks later.

I wasn't a recluse then so I can't tell whether the flu shot gave me flu or whether it was a case of the shot being useless. I haven't felt healthy since.

Now I know what is in them I wish I had never had one.

PS If you have only just had your first invite for a free jab you must have just attained the age when you are a potential 'useless eater' or pregnant.

Last edited by MargaretR; 08-10-2012 at 16:10.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 16:08   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh am near sure its that reason, cos used to have em at work wi me job fer many years, and before i started yon used to get flu regular, never did after. and no i never knew anyone who got the virus after taking jab, though know a few that got very slight symptoms,if that helps.
i was taught (same as most folk) that these vaccines save lives.but with a little research medical evidence doesnt support the thesis/theory that vaccines are the cause of lower death rates of disease/virus's infact some evidence is to the contray
Old 08-10-2012, 16:16   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The last time I had a flu shot was Oct 2007 and had my last dose of flu a few weeks later.

I wasn't a recluse then so I can't tell whether the flu shot gave me flu or whether it was a case of the shot being useless.

Now I know what is in them I wish I had never had one.

PS If you have only just had your first invite for a free jab you must have just attained the age when you are a potential 'useless eater' or pregnant.
tell me more,whats in them? do you know were there made (company etc)?
i assume i'm of the "potential useless eater" age as i'm certainly not pregnant
Old 08-10-2012, 16:17   #10

Works for me. I have a flu jab every year, and haven't had flu for over twenty years.
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 16:25   #11

Mum has a flu jab every year, as do I, being her carer. She missed one in 2008 and came down with flu which laid her low for weeks. Not long after she had a massive stroke.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 16:25   #12
God Member

Quote:
tell me more,whats in them? do you know were there made (company etc)?
i assume i'm of the "potential useless eater" age as i'm certainly not pregnant
I have already had my say on this topic.
If you use the search facility on this forum and type in 'flu vaccine' you get a list of 24 threads.

Alternatively you could use google and find millions.

Last edited by MargaretR; 08-10-2012 at 16:28.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 16:30   #13
Resting In Peace

Well I have been doing research into flu jabs as I was offered one for the first time recently and had it last week along with a couple of travel jabs. No ill effects so far even though my immune system has been compromised as I have recently undergone a course of chemotherapy.

You could try reading these links but I will extract some of the information for you. BTW you mention money having something to do with it - what exactly do you mean?

Flu vaccination - NHS Choices
BBC News - Flu vaccine 'withheld for safety'

You are eligible to receive a free flu vaccine if you:
  • are 65 years of age or over (including those who will be 65 by March 31 2013)
  • are pregnant (including women who become pregnant during the flu season)
  • have a certain medical condition (see below)
  • are living in a long-stay residential care home or other long-stay care facility (not including prisons, young offender institutions or university halls of residence)
  • are in receipt of a carer's allowance, or you are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
  • are a healthcare worker with direct patient contact or a social care worker (see below)
The flu vaccine is offered free to anyone over the age of six months if they have any of the following medical conditions:
  • chronic (long-term) respiratory disease, such as severe asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or bronchitis
  • chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
  • chronic kidney disease
  • chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
  • chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson's disease or motor neurone disease
  • diabetes
  • problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease, or if you have had your spleen removed
  • a weakened immune system due to conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or as a result of having treatment that suppresses the immune system, such as chemotherapy

Frontline health and social care workers should protect themselves by having the flu vaccine to prevent the spread of flu to colleagues and other members of the community.

If you care for someone who is elderly or disabled, speak to your GP about getting vaccinated against seasonal flu. You should also ensure that the person you care for has the flu jab.
Old 08-10-2012, 16:33   #14
Resting In Peace

Quote:
i was taught (same as most folk) that these vaccines save lives.but with a little research medical evidence doesnt support the thesis/theory that vaccines are the cause of lower death rates of disease/virus's infact some evidence is to the contray
What evidence would that be? If you've done research into this aspect then surely you have researched the flu vaccine and found out what's in it or who makes it etc?
Old 08-10-2012, 16:35   #15
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Are you saying that the vaccine affects one's mental capacity? That's a new one on me!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..