Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2019, 19:17   #16
God Member

Re: Vimto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I can believe that....and don't get me started on Walnut whips.
You can almost get a whole one in your mouth in one bite.
True & even worse, they now sell them WITHOUT a walnut on top & just market them as 'Whips' - world's gone mad!
monkey hanger likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-07-2019, 21:33   #17
Beacon of light

Yes...it is a right swizz.
At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 07:23   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
True & even worse, they now sell them WITHOUT a walnut on top & just market them as 'Whips' - world's gone mad!
might have done that to stop claims against the firm for anyone who has a nut allergy who has eaten one by mistake.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 08:38   #19
Beacon of light

Why would you choose to eat a WALNUT whip if you had a nut allergy....the nut sits there on the top...and yes I know that there used to be one buried in the whipped filling inside.....but you would have to be seriously dumb(I mean -GOLD medal standard dumb) to consider eating one if you had a nut allergy.

No, monkey hanger...it is all down to screwing the consumer....getting as much as possible for the minimum quality.

I know that there are some the believe these manufacturers are doing their bit to battle the obesity crisis.....all it means is that instead of eating one bar of whatever(and feeling you had satisfied your desire for s treat) you might now eat TWO.
Old 13-07-2019, 10:03   #20
God Member

just trying to be a bit sarcastic on the no win no fee society with my post. do not get me on about the obesity crisis or laziness crisis as i call it. never been a big sweet eater or pop drinker but love my chips and pies. only half a stone heavier now than when i left school but i imagine i walk backwards more than most walk forwards nowadays .
Old 26-12-2019, 16:39   #21
Junior Member+

So to the orginally posted question. I LOVE vimto, but I live in California where it is only available from importers. I have found my guy and pay about $6 a bottle - about 5 quid at current exchange rates. I get the "new" version. You can still buy the old one from importers from the middle east. Its much stickier and still in the glass bottle and the metal cap, but also a lot more expensive.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 20:30   #22
Full Member+

Iron brew or Lucozade don't taste the same as way back when
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 21:11   #23
Beacon of light

Sprouts still taste the same...you can't mess with sprouts
Old 27-12-2019, 00:55   #24

Would go more for Dandelion & Burdock meself - or the proper Sarsparilla from the stall in Blackburn market.
Someone once told me the flavours of lots of stuff changed after they started fluoridating the water but not sure if there's any truth in that.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 07:28   #25
Beacon of light

I think it might have more to do with removing the sugar and replacing it with nasty chemical sweeteners.
Old 30-12-2019, 10:09   #26
God Member

[QUOTE=Jimmy Clitheroe;1234899
Someone once told me the flavours of lots of stuff changed after they started fluoridating the water but not sure if there's any truth in that.[/QUOTE]

might be right there. water varies from area to area and thats why beer tastes different in some areas as well. had a dog once who would not drink tap water and had to buy bottles of it for him. used to drink polluted canal water though so it makes you think.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 30-12-2019, 10:37   #27
Beacon of light

I am not sure about the water angle...though yes tea and maybe Beer do taste different in different places.
I never had and problems with cordials or soft drinks until they started chuffing around with the recipes to allow for the reduction in sugar content....in my opinion, that is when the tastes changed.
I will not buy drinks that have chemical sweeteners in them.
I find it increasingly difficult to buy good quality cordials that have not been adulterated with these chemicals(I consider them to be poison and they do not reduce the risk of obesity one jot)
M&S in Blackburn stock NO fruit cordial that is not sugar free....the Preston Branch only have two varieties that are unadulterated.
Old 31-12-2019, 10:10   #28
God Member

so again you and others are forced to change your lifestyle because of others. where will all this rubbish, for want of a better word, end.
Old 31-12-2019, 10:21   #29
Beacon of light

Yes...I despise the nanny state.
I am still wearing trousers and jeans that I bought in 2000....so I can control my calorie consumption.
We have learned nothing.
Many years ago dairy produce was demonised and other ingredients were substituted for dairy...now they are saying that the healthy thing would have been to continue to eat such produce...but in moderation.

Some of the chemicals that are used to sweeten drinks are broken down into a formaldehyde like chemical....formaldehyde is what is used to embalm bodies...to preserve tissue.
It is also linked to cancers, but we think it is alright to give our children these drinks and foods?

It has been shown in studies that using sweeteners does not make much difference in weight control.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 31-12-2019, 10:33   #30
God Member

Amusing article on the very topic...

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/1...ideas-of-2019/
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..