Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2021, 08:51   #16
God Member

Re: Walney Island Disks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post

So many great artists during those years, sadly many of them no longer with us, but their music remains to be enjoyed by those of us who appreciate the good stuff. I could go on and on, all so easy to listen to.
never forget either the length of careers these artists had. many had to do it the hard way via working mens clubs, being low down on theatre bills and not just arriving and departing the scene at a blink of an eyelid like what happens to many today. their music will go on and on well after we go to the big face mask in the sky.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-06-2021, 21:59   #17

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Nothing new under the sun or on AccyWeb!
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...box-33999.html

Not only titles but links to pages and pages of other peoples favourites.
Personally i've always thought that this was a failing of this website (and when a certain pedantic moderator was active my original post that started this would have been moved.)

Here we have a post pretty much having a go at a poster because something similar was posted 14 years ago..lets think about this..

Someone who is now 21 is expected to read every single post on every single thread in every single sub-forum since 2002 in case something was posted when he was 2 years old..BEFORE he can post
Old 05-06-2021, 04:04   #18

Guinness, your comments are an excellent reply to a posting that can be interpreted as being a tad sarcastic, whether this was the intention of that poster or not (sorry Less, but come on now – an ‘innocent’ post? – really!). People starting a thread can’t be expected to search old threads on this forum to ascertain whether or not the subject has already been discussed before, especially if they are newcomers to the site. Surely members should be encouraged to start threads and if it so happens that similar ones have already been aired previously then so be it. It merely shows that the subject matter is still an interesting topic.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:08   #19
God Member

same with replies to current topics as well. if you said something 12 months ago it can actually be more relevant now even if you have repeated yourself. we do not want to get into a situation where people have to look up old dead topics before they put a new one up or check what they previously said on a current one.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:01   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Isn't life strange?
I make a post showing there is something similar onsite, nowhere in that post did I say it should have been searched for or that it should be used instead of this thread.
This thread reminded me of the fact it was there with memories that might be worth a re-look.
I then get three posters berating me, their actions are far more detrimental to this thread than my (yes), innocent posting.
It seems they are keener to have a go at me than actually taking the thread forward.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:55   #21

Oh, Less – my apologies for misreading your post and assuming you were being a trifle sarcastic, thus taking your innocent post to be other than what it was. However, I have to disagree with you that the follow-up comments made by other posters are far more detrimental to the thread than yours. They actually encourage people to post comments (and maybe start new threads) without worrying as to whether the subject has been discussed before or not. How can that be detrimental?

Perhaps now would be a good time to get back to Walney Island Disks, which is proving to be a most enjoyable thread.
Margaret Pilkington and taddy like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post

Perhaps now would be a good time to get back to Walney Island Disks, which is proving to be a most enjoyable thread.
Indeed.
Old 05-06-2021, 22:36   #23

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Isn't life strange?
I make a post showing there is something similar onsite, nowhere in that post did I say it should have been searched for or that it should be used instead of this thread.
This thread reminded me of the fact it was there with memories that might be worth a re-look.
I then get three posters berating me, their actions are far more detrimental to this thread than my (yes), innocent posting.
It seems they are keener to have a go at me than actually taking the thread forward.
Yup, I'll apologise too....I guess my post could be seen as a personal attack which it honestly wasn't.

Yup, it's also a thread derail.

Yup, you're still a grouch.

Back on thread..my ten -

Belfast Child - Simple Minds
Diamonds and Rust - Joan Baez
Have you ever seen the rain - CCR
Highwayman - Highwaymen
Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor
Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
Miss Sarajevo - U2 and Pavarotti
This girls in love - Dusty Springfield
We have all the time in the world - Louis Armstrong
Father and Son - Yusuf
dotti34 likes this.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:24   #24
God Member

Quote:
Isn't life strange?
its a bit like some things that are written come over quite different than in face to face conversations. think we have all been guilty of this from time to time. once things are written they can be re read thousands of times where an off the cuff comment in conversation is gone for ever.
Old 06-06-2021, 13:53   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Oh Monkey Hanger...what a great idea.
Thank you for this lovely thread.
I am really going to struggle to pick just ten.....but I will have a go.
These are in no particular order of preference.
1) The Eagles... Take it to the Limit.
2) Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
3) Shirley Jones and Gordon MacRae - If I Loved you
4) Eva Cassidy - Somewhere over the Rainbow
5) Elgar - Enigma Variations (all of them...but especially Nimrod)
6) Andrea Bocelli - The Prayer...it has to be the solo version
7) Josh Groban - To be where you are.
8) Josh Krajcek - Just Let Me Hold you
9) Puccini - Madam Butterfly(please say I can have the full opera)
10) Luciano Pavarotti - E Lucevan le Stelle from Tosca.

As my luxury item can I please have a yoga mat......Book...The Thorn Birds
Nimrod is so emotional every reme berance day. Rips my heart out.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 17:56   #26

Another to give me goosebumps is flowers of the forest on bagpipes
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:00   #27

[QUOTE=Mark2009;1254448]Another to give me goosebumps is flowers of the forest on bagpipes.

A good friend of mine who sadly died earlier this year, born in Greenock and served in the Royal Navy; had the "Flowers of the Forest" played by a lone piper who led his coffin into Accrington Cremetorium.
My handkerchief was more than damp that day, the skirl of the pipes always seems to have that effect on me.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:51   #28
God Member

afraid scottish music and bagpipes leave me cold. however i get your affect on hearing welsh music sang by their choirs especially land of my fathers. the rest of the countries anthams pale into insignificance at sports events after that one.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:45   #29

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1254471]afraid scottish music and bagpipes leave me cold. however i get your affect on hearing welsh music sang by their choirs especially land of my fathers. the rest of the countries anthams pale into insignificance at sports events after that one.

Aye, I too like listening to "Land of my Fathers", when the Taffies play England at rugby in the Millenium Stadium but the problem is they sing it in Welsh.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:54   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post

Aye, I too like listening to "Land of my Fathers", when the Taffies play England at rugby in the Millenium Stadium but the problem is they sing it in Welsh.
Bloody foreigners, wandering around using their national language, have they no pride?
taddy and monkey hanger like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..