Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2018, 09:39   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Waste of OUR money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I have only got one concern - glass bottles and jars being dropped into a bin will inevitably result in breakages. I just hope that any broken glass isn't left in the streets/roads.
The bins will be lifted and emptied into the back of the wagon so nothing should fall onto the street.
Old 29-06-2018, 12:54   #17
Senior Member+

The new bins are very flimsy and lightweight. I can see them blowing all over in a strong wind after they have been emptied
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 06:01   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
The new bins are very flimsy and lightweight. I can see them blowing all over in a strong wind after they have been emptied
Which to me is much better if that occurs than cans etc blowing all oer the street surely?
AccyMad likes this.
Old 30-06-2018, 16:51   #19
Senior Member+

Got our bins delivered this week, fortunately we have room for them - we also had the unused green bin collected. So our next collection of tins, plastics etc will be in 2 weeks time - absolutely no problem, but then we have to wait another 4 weeks for the blue bin to be collected again.
My logic said that is it is going to be 4 weeks between collections then the blue bin needs to be twice as big as the blue bag and blue box combined. So I thought I might as well do a bit of simple arithmetic, the figures for the blue bag are only an approximation but not too far out.
The blue bag is approx 0.4 m diam and 1.0m long which gives a volume of 125 litres (approx). The blue box is 51 litres (approx), a total of 175 litres. As this is collected every 2 weeks under the old scheme and the new scheme is to be collected every 4 weeks, one could reasonably expect the blue bin to have a minimum capacity of 350 litres. However, the blue bin has a capacity of 240 litres, so perhaps we will have a councillor telling us how to dispose of up to 110 litres of recyclables that wont fit into the bin every month. No doubt the person responsible for deciding the bin size requirement went to the same school of advanced mathematics as Dianne Abbott.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:44   #20

I recycle (and nag at the family to do so too) as much as I can, however a lot of plastics does not have a 1 or 2 within a triangle on, meaning that its likely not recyclable using our chosen recycling plants (not that its "not recyclable").
The plasitcs\tin wheelie bin is full every 2 weeks.

For cardboard, the wheelie bin for that is also full every 2 weeks.

If my kids ever actually clean thier rooms we get excess and I have to put it in other bins that have been put out for collection.
The non recyclable bin is always full with the lid being up a bit after 2 weeks.

So if there is any future suggestions of going on longer periods then there is gonna be hell to pay.
I stopped using the garden wheelie bin for garden waste when they introduced charges and its now a useful storage container for excess stuff.

Luckily I Have a litte bit of space I can add all these wheelie bins out back, not much but just enough. Others have not got that space.

But I certainly do not see them as a waste of money, bags were a pain, the blue tub was a pain & too small, wheelie bins are far easier to manouver and cleaner. (although you dont want to put your nose in my non recyclable one.)
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 18:20   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
I recycle (and nag at the family to do so too) as much as I can, however a lot of plastics does not have a 1 or 2 within a triangle on, meaning that its likely not recyclable using our chosen recycling plants (not that its "not recyclable").

For cardboard, the wheelie bin for that is also full every 2 weeks.

If my kids ever actually clean thier rooms we get excess and I have to put it in other bins that have been put out for collection.
The non recyclable bin is always full with the lid being up a bit after 2 weeks.

So if there is any future suggestions of going on longer periods then there is gonna be hell to pay.
I stopped using the garden wheelie bin for garden waste when they introduced charges and its now a useful storage container for excess stuff.

Luckily I Have a litte bit of space I can add all these wheelie bins out back, not much but just enough. Others have not got that space.

But I certainly do not see them as a waste of money, bags were a pain, the blue tub was a pain & too small, wheelie bins are far easier to manouver and cleaner. (although you dont want to put your nose in my non recyclable one.)
The blue bin has it printed on top "All Plastics" and even a picture showing the cleaning/disinfectant type bottle. I think the information leaflet states not to include polythene.
Old 03-07-2018, 18:52   #22

In Rossendale they only accept pet and HDPE plastics. putting something else in make the entire batch get rejected aparently.
Old 03-07-2018, 21:45   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
They now state that all plastics (except polythene bags and wrappings), should be included. So bleach bottles, detergent and fabric softener bottles, shampoo, conditioner, meat trays etc. should now be included.
I reckon that whoever decided upon, and whoever approved the sizes was educated at the Dianne Abbott School of Advanced Arithmetic.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:52   #24
God Member

Quote:
In Rossendale they only accept pet and HDPE plastics. putting something else in make the entire batch get rejected aparently.
in the bradford area certain plastics go in the recycle and others in the waste. put the wrong one in and they will not collect it. unless you know which plastic is which its a nightmare. soon they will be running courses to tell you which plastic is which.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:20   #25

My area started with an interesting definition - 'If its a bottle its recycleable - otherwise its not'. After about a year the definition changed and is now 'soft plastic' or 'hard plastic' but its quite unclear which is which.
monkey hanger likes this.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 19:11   #26

So you see, different boroughs have different ways of looking at this and they use different recycling plants who take different plastics (or not).

Fun this recycling isn't it
Old 05-07-2018, 09:41   #27
God Member

Fun this recycling isn't it [/QUOTE]

should be an easy task but there are councils involved so its a nightmare.
DaveinGermany likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..