Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2010, 06:12   #1
Senior Member+

Watch the Peregrine Falcons!

Watch these young peregrines at a London Location. I was the person who discovered this nest site in early 2009 and contacted the RSPB who then with the permission and help of BT installed the nest tray and video camera earlier this year...

http://wms.carnyxlive.co.uk/vauxhall

4 eggs hatched...

In 1989 a pair of the then very rare peregrine falcons started to breed on the Mill Tower at Darwen

http://cottontown.org/page.cfm?pageid=477&language=eng

They are still there so I believe???

Last edited by kestrelx; 23-05-2010 at 06:21.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-05-2010, 08:47   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Watch the Peregrine Falcons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Watch these young peregrines at a London Location. I was the person who discovered this nest site in early 2009 and contacted the RSPB who then with the permission and help of BT installed the nest tray and video camera earlier this year...

http://wms.carnyxlive.co.uk/vauxhall

4 eggs hatched...

In 1989 a pair of the then very rare peregrine falcons started to breed on the Mill Tower at Darwen

http://cottontown.org/page.cfm?pageid=477&language=eng

They are still there so I believe???
Brilliant kestrelx, but I think the chick at the front knows its a star it keeps peeping at the camera
Old 26-05-2010, 09:21   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Brilliant kestrelx, but I think the chick at the front knows its a star it keeps peeping at the camera
Yep Jaysay one of the adults keeps looking into the camera, they must be able to tell it's their perhaps as they are highly tuned to their surroundings perhaps they can tell that there is a strange object looking at em!
Old 26-05-2010, 09:33   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yep Jaysay one of the adults keeps looking into the camera, they must be able to tell it's their perhaps as they are highly tuned to their surroundings perhaps they can tell that there is a strange object looking at em!
They'd go bananas if they knew it was thee and me kestrelx
Old 26-05-2010, 09:57   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
They'd go bananas if they knew it was thee and me kestrelx
ha ha ha - they'd be scared - I imagine what would happen if when the adult was in and you could put your hand into the nest - you reckon you'd lose some fingers?
Old 26-05-2010, 10:05   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
ha ha ha - they'd be scared - I imagine what would happen if when the adult was in and you could put your hand into the nest - you reckon you'd lose some fingers?
You'd have to count um all out and count um all back fingers that is
Old 30-05-2010, 00:27   #7
Senior Member+

Maybe it would scare it and it would fly off? Leaving the youngun's behind - the biggest was standing on it's legs today, previously they have all been sitting on their elbows (leg joint) so to speak as they aren't strong enough yet. But they will be soon after eating all those racing pigeons
Old 30-05-2010, 01:14   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
But they will be soon after eating all those racing pigeons
Have actually put this up on another site Kestrelx .. hope you don't mind. I find myself watching them quite a lot.

The above remark, were you serious ? Just that I did notice what I thought was a bird's leg today with a ring on it .. thought the mother had come to a sticky end or summat. Was quite worried.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 09:15   #9
Senior Member+

What site you put in on? I don't mind - it's already on the RSPB Site

http://www.rspb.org.uk/datewithnatur...ates/index.asp

The camera is all misted up today - did it rain earlier, must have. Yeh I think there are two rings in there and these are from pigeons, probably racing pigeons, I don't think that the adult falcons are ringed.
Old 31-05-2010, 12:09   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
What site you put in on? I don't mind - it's already on the RSPB Site

The RSPB: Speed dating in London

The camera is all misted up today - did it rain earlier, must have. Yeh I think there are two rings in there and these are from pigeons, probably racing pigeons, I don't think that the adult falcons are ringed.
It's just a chat site I am on Kestrel ... but I think some of the members have enjoyed it.

Has been 'misted up' for 24 hours .... can't make my mind up what it is ... shame .. they were getting cuter.

Had to laugh a couple of days ago though .. one of the chicks had its bum facing the camera .. yes, it did !! Projectile that splashed the lens... LOL.

I thought the mother was ringed actually ?
Old 31-05-2010, 13:51   #11
God Member

Some Jock peregrines here: Huntly peregrine wild watch centre
If you have a look down the right-hand side of the page there's links to more wildlife cams.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 18:14   #12

There are lots of animal/bird webcam sites,here are 3 given to me recently ----
German one of Stork nest,it's big,click on STORCHENWEBCAM
live webcam

Another of wildlife in Africa,sometimes live following a Safari

WildEarth.TV ... it's in your nature. - wildearth.tv

Another worldwide,not all working

Wildlife webcam
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 18:30   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
It's just a chat site I am on Kestrel ... but I think some of the members have enjoyed it.

Has been 'misted up' for 24 hours .... can't make my mind up what it is ... shame .. they were getting cuter.

Had to laugh a couple of days ago though .. one of the chicks had its bum facing the camera .. yes, it did !! Projectile that splashed the lens... LOL.

I thought the mother was ringed actually ?
Yes you are right the chick must have got a bulls eye over the camera lens - so that's the end of that I suppose. Perhaps they are going to go up to ring them and may be able to clean it? But I think that the young are passed the stage of being rung. I didn't notice if the female falcon was rung, I don't think it was colored anyway.

Last edited by kestrelx; 31-05-2010 at 18:36.
Old 02-06-2010, 18:20   #14
Resting in Peace

Lens all cleaned up now Kestrel .. aaw look, losing their fluffy hair and feathers showing through.
Old 03-06-2010, 20:01   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Lens all cleaned up now Kestrel .. aaw look, losing their fluffy hair and feathers showing through.
Yeh luckily the RSPB ringers went up and put rings on all the chicks, did you notice, I think this was on Tuesday and they cleaned the lens - but the birds have done it again, or is it misted up? either today or yesterday but it's not as bad as before.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..