Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2015, 17:39   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Water contamination (Lancashire)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
Me wonders how anyone would be able to tell the difference with the water in Accy.
Well weve been drinking it with evening meal fer years n never had a problem,
Old 13-08-2015, 11:42   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
you ever think that were just too nice to tell ya
cashman likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 04:40   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Is that why you can count up to 6 on one hand ?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 12:00   #34

I have had people complain about the taste of the accy water - so bottled water is bought in.
I dare not look at a water quality report to see how much of your poo is in it
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 16:11   #35
Senior Member+

Accy water tastes fine when mixed with a liberal amount of even mid range whisky.
Old 17-08-2015, 16:30   #36
Beacon of light

It is mighty fine boiled and made into a good brew of builders tea as well.
I am not fond of it neat though.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 16:47   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Accy water tastes fine when mixed with a liberal amount of even mid range whisky.
Go on Barry spoil the whiskey.
DaveinGermany likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 09:53   #38
Senior Member+

WATER LATEST: Criminal investigation into contamination - Lancashire Evening Post

Will anyone be prosecuted for this outbreak? Hmmm,I doubt it.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 08:44   #39
Senior Member+

"UNITED Utilities accepts it is facing a colossal compensation bill for the first cryptosporidium contamination of drinking water in the North West this century"

UU has reassured consumers the payouts estimated at £15m (and counting) 'will not' be offset by a rise in water bills and the cost will be borne by the company.

password--Accyweb
Old 21-08-2015, 19:04   #40
God Member

perhaps if united utilities spent more money on maintaining the system and shoving less money into share holders pockets the system would be a lot easier to manage when or if a crisis happens

how many times when this company puts water restriction on it does it come to light that they are woefully behind on repairing leaking pipes etc and maintenance

theres something seriously wrong with their system if its taking this long to sort out and we most likely wont ever get to hear the real reason why just some watered down half truth

probably cheaper to pay compensation that to do proper lasting repairs
Accyexplorer likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 21-08-2015, 19:27   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The Cholera outbreak in London in days gone by, was caused by contaminated water, how many died then?
Old 21-08-2015, 22:43   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
The Cholera outbreak in London in days gone by, was caused by contaminated water, how many died then?
About 620 give or take a few

password--Accyweb
Old 22-08-2015, 03:18   #43
God Member

im unsure as to how it happened but am sure outside water should not have been able to get into the water in the pipes

this is what happens when you dont fix leaks water dosnt just escape it gets let in as well

excuse the pun but if the pipes were water tight as they should be outside water with contaminates in it wouldnt have got into the system

thats if they havnt changed their story yet but last i heard manure got into the system from farms in blackburn

Old 22-08-2015, 04:02   #44
God Member

I thought that the contamination was due the inability of chlorine to kill the parasite - so water which had been 'treated' was the problem, not untreated water getting into the network.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 09:24   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I thought that the contamination was due the inability of chlorine to kill the parasite - so water which had been 'treated' was the problem, not untreated water getting into the network.
That was my understanding as this particular parasite is not destroyed by Chlorine.
Water is collected in reservoirs and underground aquifers therefore is liable to contamination from many agricultural sources. To be absolutely specific about the source is impossible - may be run off from a farmers manure pile seeping into a river, or even sheep or wild animal droppings being leached in to a stream, which then feeds a larger stream and so on.
Resolution may take some time when you consider the number of sources.
One thing that will arise from this is the number of false claims for compensation as the cheats crawl out from under the stones.
Accyexplorer likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..