Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2015, 09:43   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Water contamination (Lancashire)

Maybe the source is all the irresponsible dog owners letting their mutts crap everywhere and failing to pick it up

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2015, 11:46   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I thought that the contamination was due the inability of chlorine to kill the parasite - so water which had been 'treated' was the problem, not untreated water getting into the network.
last week the local rag said water from manure from farms in blackburn had got into the system

chlorine might not be able to kill it as they say but it shouldnt have got in to the system in the first place

personally i dont think they know themselves how its happened and they certainly dont seem to know how to fix it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 12:05   #48
Senior Member+

Don't forget when they've sorted it out at the source and treatment plant there's over 2000 miles of pipes to flush out!
The only way to do that is to run your taps and if you're on a water meter- ouch!
Also your cold water tank will be infected, how can you flush that out?
This could go on for quite a while yet.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 12:40   #49

Blackpool's apparently had a very good season this year but I expect the drinking water issue for visitors will be having a bit of an impact.
Old 24-08-2015, 15:46   #50
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPastry View Post
I expect the drinking water issue for visitors will be having a bit of an impact.
Who drinks water in Blackpool? Its full of Jockanese, hen/stag do's & folk on the lash!
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 24-08-2015, 17:06   #51
Senior Member+

Thinking on exactly the same lines as you DinG - I wonder how many people on here have ever been to Blackpool and drunk tap water?
Old 24-08-2015, 21:49   #52
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
"A Lancashire county council spokesman reiterated............that there were no plans to close schools in the area “at this stage”."
That made me laugh, don't they know it's school holidays?
Why did it make you laugh?
Just because it's school holidays doesn't mean that schools are empty. Lot's of schools are open with all sorts going on during the holidays.
Old 24-08-2015, 22:03   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why did it make you laugh?
Just because it's school holidays doesn't mean that schools are empty. Lot's of schools are open with all sorts going on during the holidays.
aye but no children in em,surely adults know better? if not they aint fit to be in em.
Old 25-08-2015, 06:42   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why did it make you laugh? ..
Because I thought it was funny.
yerself, cashman and Barrie Yates like this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 15:47   #55

I doubt that an exact cause of this will ever be found, I also do not think that the water companies should be as vilified as they are being. They have a massive network of pipes & water supplies, some of it extremely ancient and IMO they cannot inspect and maintain it all constantly -there has to be some allowance for equipment & pipes etc to just age.

They do run regular tests and in their tests they picked this up, it took a few days to confirm what it was with extra checking and then to formulate a response, and then time to put it into motion - UV filters do not just sit on the shelves waiting to be bought - they need to be made to order.

Yes, there will be many jumping on the compo wagon, there always is - some people are going way over the top with shouting about the whole thing.

Just boil ya water or go boil ya head
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 23:12   #56
God Member

you see thats why we pay water rates and water bills to raise money to maintain , repair and replace things as needed to be done.There shouldn't be ancient pipework it should have been replaced years ago but instead of investing enough money they make millionaires even richer and this is why the water should be in the hand sof government and should never have been sold..

time and time again the water companies failings get exposed.Its usually while enforcing a hosepipe ban and the leave a leak spewing thousands of gallons of water a day away for 2 months or something

they deserve every bit of stick they get

the sad part is they wont get hurt by compensation payouts they will continue to feed the share holders the same amount of money or even more and just stick their losses on us by putting the cost of water up to cover it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 26-08-2015, 07:06   #57
Beacon of light

You know Accyman, when you slate shareholders they are not just people looking to make a fast buck, they are not all millionaires......some of them will be the fund managers for pension schemes.....pension schemes that ordinary workers contribute to so that when they retire they might just be able to have a life that is worth living.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 07:54   #58
Senior Member+

And which of the nationalised industries were efficiently run?
Old 26-08-2015, 10:13   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You know Accyman, when you slate shareholders they are not just people looking to make a fast buck, they are not all millionaires......some of them will be the fund managers for pension schemes.....pension schemes that ordinary workers contribute to so that when they retire they might just be able to have a life that is worth living.

my point is that before they pay shareholders they shuold ensure the system is safe, secure , repaired and updated or upgraded when needed.You dont end up on watchdog repeatedly because your doing an outstanding job

we all pay water rates or water meters so we should all expect safe clean water and for problems to be sorted quickly .

i wouldnt say they have done this as my son is still having to use bottled water to brush his teeth

im sure the people in effected areas arnt concerned wit joe blogs pension 20 years down the line

Last edited by accyman; 26-08-2015 at 10:15.
Old 26-08-2015, 10:46   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
my point is that before they pay shareholders they shuold ensure the system is safe, secure , repaired and updated or upgraded when needed.You dont end up on watchdog repeatedly because your doing an outstanding job

we all pay water rates or water meters so we should all expect safe clean water and for problems to be sorted quickly .
From 2010 to 2015 UU have spent £3,600,000,000 on replacing old pipes, improving water quality, sewage quality, sea water quality etc. That's a few water bills spent!

The Franklaw plant is now supplying clean water but there are 2,500 miles of pipes to flush out, some of them 3 or 4 feet in diameter.. That will only happen as the customers run it off although how they'll check if each customers supply is clear I don't know.

And no, I haven't got shares in UU, but they're spending a lot more than the local water boards ever spent.
Balbus and Barrie Yates like this.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 26-08-2015 at 10:48.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..