Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 11:49   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Wear Your RED Poppy With Pride

Religious group calls for white remembrance poppy

Here we go again, the long established British Legions Red Poppy should not be worn, it should be a White Poppy according to one so called 'religious' group.

Quote:
Jonathan Bartley, director of the religious theological group Ekklesia="Whilst the red poppy implies redemption can come through war, the Christian story implies that redemption comes through non-violent sacrifice. The white poppy is much more Christian in that respect than the red variety."
Now I don't know about you but I always thought that the Red Poppy and the British Legion, was there to assist the wounded and their families from the many conflicts that we have and still are involved with. They haven't at any time tried to imply 'redemption of any form through war'.
The only political axe they wield is for the benefit of those servicemen, (and women), that have and are suffering because of war.

Whereas I suspect that some political significance can be gleened behind the 'White Poppy'.

Quote:
"Whilst apparently banned from wearing one symbol of hope (the cross), public figures in Britain are simultaneously urged, indeed in many cases required to wear another (the red poppy) almost as an article of faith," Bartley said.
What about the donations people make, almost everyone will buy and wear a Red Poppy with Pride, because they know and trust the British legion will be using the money collected for the benefit of the wounded.

Where will the funds raised by the White Poppy go?

I don't know but I suspect it won't be for anything to do with the ex-service people.

If you are out there and feel that war isn't the best thing for mankind that is fair enough, the majority of sane people will agree with you, but please don't try to hijack a symbol that has brought hope and relief to many a poor soul that otherwise would have been left to struggle after doing what they considered to be their duty and deserve all the help they can get.

Last edited by Less; 09-11-2006 at 11:55.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2006, 12:01   #2
Member.

Re: Wear Your RED Poppy With Pride

It will always be a Red Poppy for me because I’m Honouring the fallen and self sacrifice of people in War, including those who have fallen in the past few weeks and days, not the theology of Christian Values.

The Motto of the Royal British Legion is “Service not self” so long may it stay that way.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:03   #3
Give, give, give member

Now if only the people who died in concentration camps could have seen that what was happening to them was 'non violent sacrifice' I'm sure it would have given them solace.

What a load of bunkum.

My RED poppy will be worn with pride, for my Grandad was killed in Normandy aged twenty two and never got to see my Mum, and gave his life for the freedoms we enjoy today, as well as the thousands of others who have fought for democracy.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:10   #4
God Member

I were one for the reason that others wear them ie to honour the fallan soldiers of all wars who paid the ultimate price for what we have. I will be at the Rememberance Service at the Zetland Park Memorial with my daughter attired with our poppies as I have done for many years (my Daughters 3rd).

Hate to think what the members of the Accrington branch of the Legion would have to say about some of the nonesense being spewed. Or is this the bl***y PC brigade again?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:14   #5
Resident Waffler

The red poppy implies no such flippin thing and well he knows it! The red poppy was chosen not because it's supposed to be the shed blood of anybody but because red poppies sprang up spontaneously on the battlefields of Flanders in WWI. "In Flanders fields the poppies grow"

He's also got himself in a twist over Christian theology too - if anything, if he wanted to represent redemption it would be by a red flower representing the blood of Christ not a white one representing pacifism!

The white poppy campaign doesn't really represent anything at all except a cashing in on something which is there to support those ex-service personnel who were injured or the families of those who lost their lives in conflict. They already know there's nothing glorious about killing people.

I was so disgusted when I heard him say on the radio this morning that we should not have resisted Hitler by military means!

I have just been into town and put a cross on the little garden thing outsde the Town Hall and hope to be able to do so every year in remembrance of a man who, like your Grandfather Gary, did not come back to his young wife and child but died in 1916 and his body lies we know not where.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 09-11-2006 at 12:18.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:16   #6
Resting in Peace

Having done work for the Royal British Legion for a few years, the thought of a white poppy makes my blood boil. My grandfather was gased during the first world war and died when he was just 34, My father was wounded in the second world war. The people trying to highjack the poppy do not get the point, The red poppy is i sign of rememberance for those would gave their lives in the two wars and other conflicts, so that we can live in the society we do today, the money raised with the sale of the poppy also goes to support exsevice men and women and their dependants, so as far as i'm concerned they can stick the whit poppy in the nearest bin, the only place far them
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 13:08   #7
Senior Member+

This really makes me angry. The British Legion have an enormous struggle every year to raise the money that they require to be able to help all the ex-service men & women. I know where i'd like to stick their white poppies, & it wouldn't be in the bin.

Poppy Appeal

The Royal British Legion - Home

Don't forget that you can download a poppy onto your mobile phone.

Text "POPPY" to 85099

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 13:28   #8
God Member

It seems to me that there's nothing sacred, these people have nothing better to think about, I give them a two finger salute!!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 13:32   #9
Super Moderator

How sad that such a solemn occasion should be besmirched by this contemptible individual attempting to garner cheap publicity for his previously unheard-of organisation. What he fails to realise is that he has the freedom to do this because so many brave men and women ignored his precious principles and DID resist Hitler - and other enemies - by military means.
Old 09-11-2006, 13:37   #10
God Member

Perhaps Jonathan Bartley would allow a few of us the chance to PIN his poppy on for him
Old 09-11-2006, 14:39   #11
Foreign Correspondent

The Veterans of Foreign Wars here in the USA always uses RED poppies to raise funds for veterans in need. As far as I am aware, no one over here is proposing white poppies.

The only proper response to this nonsense is to proudly wear your red poppy - and give a bit more than previously!

BTW, my grandfather enlisted in the 15th Engineers in WWI, the group whose proud motto became "First to England."

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 14:56   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Wear Your RED Poppy With Pride

I’ve never seen a white poppy growing in a field.

However the RED POPPY does not glorify war. It is just a token of remembrance for those who have fallen (civilian and servicmen alike) in conflicts the world over since 1914. There is no class, colour or creed distinction.

It surprises me to discover that the Church of England newspaper the Church Times actually accepted the article for publication. What were they thinking of?

I know one thing – if I ever see anyone selling white poppies I will make my point to the best of my ability.
Old 09-11-2006, 18:25   #13

Quote:
The red poppy implies no such flippin thing
Well said

Quote:
I’ve never seen a white poppy growing in a field.

However the RED POPPY does not glorify war. It is just a token of remembrance for those who have fallen (civilian and servicmen alike) in conflicts the world over since 1914. There is no class, colour or creed distinction
This is the second thing, I've found, that I agree with jambutty

What's next?
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 18:28   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash
Well said

This is the second thing, I've found, that I agree with jambutty

What's next?
You'll be telling us next that both you and he are in the Rupert Bear Fan Club, now that would be too freaky.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 18:46   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave
Perhaps Jonathan Bartley would allow a few of us the chance to PIN his poppy on for him
Well, according a news report recently, some popppy sellers are not allowed to give out a pin with the poppy to avoid any injury to donor !! Health and Safety like ... how much damage can you do with a pin anyway?

Best to ignore these 'white poppy' suggestions .. I am, as most of us will
Just makes a good story, and nobody will listen.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..