Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 07:48   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Weather

Have some shoe spikes but when we walked from the house to the car our path was free of ice.....so we didn't put them on.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-02-2012, 08:58   #17
Senior Member+

I had heard the weather forecast on Wednesday evening and wasn't looking forward to visiting my wife at Wythenshawe Hospital at 10.30 AM Thursday. She wanted me there when the consultant came in.
Once I passed Rising Bridge the temperature rose to 0 deg and I had no problem, the M60 was running well and not much traffic. Drivers must have heeded the warnings and stayed at home.
I returned at 3.30PM, roads a bit busier but not too bad, plenty mist and spray but I got home safely.
All my fears were gone, Oh, and I had my wife for company on the way home at last.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:13   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I had heard the weather forecast on Wednesday evening and wasn't looking forward to visiting my wife at Wythenshawe Hospital at 10.30 AM Thursday. She wanted me there when the consultant came in.
Once I passed Rising Bridge the temperature rose to 0 deg and I had no problem, the M60 was running well and not much traffic. Drivers must have heeded the warnings and stayed at home.
I returned at 3.30PM, roads a bit busier but not too bad, plenty mist and spray but I got home safely.
All my fears were gone, Oh, and I had my wife for company on the way home at last.
Well that was a hell of a bonus Gremlin hope she keeps well
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29   #19
Beacon of light

Great stuff Gremlin...glad you got to bring her home. Both of you keep warm and take care.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:04   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Glad yer missus is home wi yeh mate,i always think thats best if it can be so.
Old 10-02-2012, 18:14   #21
God Member

nice and mild up here
Old 10-02-2012, 18:39   #22
Senior Member+

I was hoping for a dry day on Thursday before I set off to Wythenshawe and as I was getting dressed ready to go I heard the rain on the roof. By the time I went to open the garage doors I could hardly stand, I walked on the garden rather than risk the flags. I managed to get out onto the main roads and they were not bad but I felt really sorry for the people on foot who were struggling to keep upright.
The elderly who don't have any helpers or transport are the ones who suffer when the weather is bad. It may be expensive but I do most of our shopping on line, delivered Mondays and Wiltshire Farm Foods comes Wednesday and the milko three times a week.
That way I hope I won't have to risk life and limb when it's really bad outside.
Looking back at my childhood I remember walking to school through snow drifts three foot high and not complaining.
The kids on there hill came by sledge and the farmer towed them back up after school with his horse and cart.

Thanks for all the kind remarks and may I add I will never knock Blackburn Hospital again after all we have been through at Wythenshawe.
Old 11-02-2012, 16:45   #23

There's still ice on my path and gatepost and snow on the pavements from last week!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..