Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 18:05   #1

Weather

I have arrived home from work to find that the rain has turned my downward sloping path into a sheet of ice, along with the brickwork on the gateposts, leaving me stranded at the top of the path in the freezing rain for half an hour until my son got back from work in Chorley and my grandson arrived just before him to rescue me! It's all gritted now and much safer but I'm dreading going back out in the morning.
I've never seen anything like this weather, where the rain is turning to ice as soon as it hits a surface (there was even ice and some icicles on my brolly after my wait!
I just want to warn people to be very careful if they're going out, because it really is treacherous, without appearing to be.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-02-2012, 18:37   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
I have arrived home from work to find that the rain has turned my downward sloping path into a sheet of ice, along with the brickwork on the gateposts, leaving me stranded at the top of the path in the freezing rain for half an hour until my son got back from work in Chorley and my grandson arrived just before him to rescue me! It's all gritted now and much safer but I'm dreading going back out in the morning.
I've never seen anything like this weather, where the rain is turning to ice as soon as it hits a surface (there was even ice and some icicles on my brolly after my wait!
I just want to warn people to be very careful if they're going out, because it really is treacherous, without appearing to be.
If Eric were here from Canada, he'd be sat out with his sun hat on reading the paper and drinking a pint Anne
Old 09-02-2012, 19:07   #3

I'm sure he would but I was in a mess, I know I'm a wuss which is why I could never live anywhere like Canada! My grandson (aged 17) stood a the top of the path and just slid down to the bottom without moving himself. I just wanted people to beware that the pavements which seem ok really aren't.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 20:24   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
If Eric were here from Canada, he'd be sat out with his sun hat on reading the paper and drinking a pint Anne
Wouldn't need the hat ... I still have hair; not all of it has migrated to my ass.

But we have had one of the mildest winters on record ... but I did hear from my son in Saskatoon about a month ago. Temps there were around -50. If you continue to suffer extreme winters, there might be a market for strap on cleats for you shoes. I have a set, and they worked well during the freezing rain we had a few weeks ago.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 21:00   #5
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Wouldn't need the hat ... I still have hair; not all of it has migrated to my ass.

But we have had one of the mildest winters on record ... but I did hear from my son in Saskatoon about a month ago. Temps there were around -50. If you continue to suffer extreme winters, there might be a market for strap on cleats for you shoes. I have a set, and they worked well during the freezing rain we had a few weeks ago.
The strap on things for your shoes are in all the ctalogues etc this winter but so far I have only seen one person wearing them.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 21:00   #6
God Member

last week i went to get in the car one evening and the whole drivers side was covered in about 1/2cm of ice from the rain hitting it and freezing upon contact.

Kids got in the passenger side which was fine and watched me get soaked and frozen while i tried to get the ice off my sides windows lol.

rememeber the planet is getting hotter folks

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 21:35   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
The strap on things for your shoes are in all the ctalogues etc this winter but so far I have only seen one person wearing them.
No comment.I must resist.the therapy is working.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 21:42   #8
Beacon of light

Broadway in Accrington, was like a skating rink this morning. People were sliding all over the place.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 21:45   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Broadway in Accrington, was like a skating rink this morning. People were sliding all over the place.
Was It sponsored?

Old 09-02-2012, 21:47   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
last week i went to get in the car one evening and the whole drivers side was covered in about 1/2cm of ice from the rain hitting it and freezing upon contact.

Kids got in the passenger side which was fine and watched me get soaked and frozen while i tried to get the ice off my sides windows lol.

rememeber the planet is getting hotter folks
The planet is getting hotter ... and that's why you guys are going to have colder winters. I believe it has to do with the melting of the polar ice. The influx of fresh water into the oceans is screwing around with the salinity, and may be have some nasty effects on the ocean currents. Of course, I did get this info from "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Global Warming"
Old 09-02-2012, 21:56   #11
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Was It sponsored?
I'm not sure.........I know that himself wasn't. I didn't slide much.......there was quite a lot of 'windmilling' though
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 23:00   #12
God Member

Quote:
I'm not sure.........I know that himself wasn't. I didn't slide much.......there was quite a lot of 'windmilling' though
"Windmilling" ... that's neat. We call it "Doing the Penguin"
Old 09-02-2012, 23:05   #13

Quote:
I thought that was Pete Townshend's speciality.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19   #14
Resting in Peace

AA Car Essentials Snow and Ice Grips with Pouch (Universal Fit): Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Got this today If It's of any use.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:39   #15
Senior Member+

Yak tracks to fit under your shoes from Winfields or fell and mountain shop in Accy. I have used them and can recommend them.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..