Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 16:03   #1
God Member

Weather...or not.

Yesterday evening and again this morning the bbc national and local news carried dire warnings of Snow heading for us from the Irish sea. I looked at the charts and they covered the whole of the Northwest from Cheshire to Cumbria and all points inbetween. The Met Offfice website was beside itself with dire warnings of as much as four inches of the white stuff!

And now, the weather system that was targeted as the culprit is sitting right over us and I can tell you honestly there has not fallen so much as one flake in Blackpool. A little hailstone and a lot of rain is the limit.

Is it any different in God's country? Can anyone tell me? Are you all snowed in up to the rooftops? Or, to quote Annie Lennox; "...is it raining with you?"

I know I shouldn't let it bother me but this hysterical overreaction by the BBC and the Met Office to the least change in barometric pressure is getting on my wick.

And I think that Dianne Oxbury should be put out to grass.
Old 04-02-2012, 16:07   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Weather...or not.

A small smattering in accy A-B, which has frozen solid n the good thing is theres that little fell,yeh can't see the glass thats gonna make yeh fall. in other words a nightmare.
Old 04-02-2012, 16:17   #3
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Yesterday evening and again this morning the bbc national and local news carried dire warnings of Snow heading for us from the Irish sea. I looked at the charts and they covered the whole of the Northwest from Cheshire to Cumbria and all points inbetween. The Met Offfice website was beside itself with dire warnings of as much as four inches of the white stuff!

And now, the weather system that was targeted as the culprit is sitting right over us and I can tell you honestly there has not fallen so much as one flake in Blackpool. A little hailstone and a lot of rain is the limit.

Is it any different in God's country? Can anyone tell me? Are you all snowed in up to the rooftops? Or, to quote Annie Lennox; "...is it raining with you?"

I know I shouldn't let it bother me but this hysterical overreaction by the BBC and the Met Office to the least change in barometric pressure is getting on my wick.

And I think that Dianne Oxbury should be put out to grass.
Well they have to be careful after they missed the hurricane in 87.

Here in Morecambe I'm told there were a few flakes this morning though I didn't see and it's been raining all day.

Quite often our weather bears no resemblance to the forecast but maybe that's because we're on the coast and maybe it's the same for Blackpool.

The Met Office website says a band of wet weather over western parts of the United Kingdom on Saturday morning will move slowly east and southeastwards across the United Kingdom during the day. As it does so it will readily turn to sleet and snow away from western and southwestern coastal areas giving accumulations of 2-5cm in places and 5-10cm widely across parts of central and eastern England. So there may be snow further inland.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 16:18   #4
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
A small smattering in accy A-B, which has frozen solid n the good thing is theres that little fell,yeh can't see the glass thats gonna make yeh fall. in other words a nightmare.
Yes Cashy would rather have a few inches that you can see than a glass coating.
Old 04-02-2012, 16:21   #5
God Member

So, not the 'white out' that was threatened. Isn't that just typical.

Thing is, if the Met Office continue crying wolf like this no one is going to take any notice of them at all. Not that many do anyway.

The Telegraph are reporting that Heathrow have already cancelled a third of flights on the strength of this warning.
Old 04-02-2012, 16:28   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Well they have to be careful after they missed the hurricane in 87.

The Met Office website says a band of wet weather over western parts of the United Kingdom on Saturday morning will move slowly east and southeastwards across the United Kingdom during the day. As it does so it will readily turn to sleet and snow away from western and southwestern coastal areas giving accumulations of 2-5cm in places and 5-10cm widely across parts of central and eastern England. So there may be snow further inland.
That is not what they forecast yesterday and early this morning.

Though there is generally a 3 centigrade difference in temperature between Accy and Blackpool it does not always apply.

Blackpool was almost deserted this morning while we were out delivering. Because of the warning, people stayed at home and businesses who rely on trade throughout the winter have suffered the consequences of the Met Office's panic.

It seems to me like they cannot get the forecast right until it is actually happening - pathetic.
Old 04-02-2012, 16:32   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Just had a nose at the sky news & they were showing some quite heavy snow up over the hills & the border heading into the dark side there (West Yorkshire )
Old 04-02-2012, 17:35   #8
Senior Member+

Out this afternoon up Coppice. It was freezing rain.All the cars on the estate near us looked as though were covered in frosted glass.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 18:10   #9
JFT96

It's getting a bit worse, here on Dill Hall. We have even lost our Sky signal.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 18:15   #10

It's snowing in Bury and Salford but nothing so far in Great Harwood.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 18:22   #11
Give, give, give member

Although on this morning's BBC news, they showed the whole of the north west under a blanket of snow, at a time they showed as being 3 pm this afternoon, they didn't actually say it would snow here.

They did say it would snow in the south east, later in the evening, and they could get 5-10 cms.

Although it'll remain cold, the north west is forecast to have rain tomorrow.

Currently very icy here. With the rain, and slight sleet, freezing on contact.

Does amuse me, the giddy state the news programmes get in every year.

It's winter. It's cold. It some times snow.

Teddy bears go plop-plop in the woods.

Big deal.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 19:00   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
It's getting a bit worse, here on Dill Hall. We have even lost our Sky signal.
We lost ours about 3 hrs ago.
Old 04-02-2012, 20:12   #13
Resting In Peace

Just tried to call a company in Bolton, supposed to be open till 10pm, got a recorded message, due to the severe weather conditions our offices are now closed.
Old 04-02-2012, 20:30   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Teddy bears go plop-plop in the woods.
I hope their owners clean up after them. They'll have Mossy's night vision equipped troops after them if any mess is left.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 20:44   #15
JFT96

A update on Sky issues. I managed to get access to our dish, its outside our bedroom window and de ice it with some de icer that and a bit of banging. The ice accumulated was pretty large.
As a result, our sky is back.
Good luck

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..