Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2016, 21:19   #16

Re: Wedding Anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
What about all the lucky fellas who found a girl from Accy Bob ?
I did!!
I came to work in Accy in '64, met my lovely in early '65, married in June '66, so now looking forward to our Golden Wedding!!
Yvonne originally came from Fern Gore, when we married was living on Edinburgh Drive, Ossy

Anyone knows either of us from those days, pls contact, as we hope to hold a nice celebration on June 4th!!

Gerard
dotti34 likes this.
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2016, 21:28   #17
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTChener View Post
I did!!
I came to work in Accy in '64, met my lovely in early '65, married in June '66, so now looking forward to our Golden Wedding!!
Yvonne originally came from Fern Gore, when we married was living on Edinburgh Drive, Ossy

Anyone knows either of us from those days, pls contact, as we hope to hold a nice celebration on June 4th!!

Gerard
I hope you and your lovely Yvonne have a lovely day on the 4th of June.
Don't you wonder where the time has gone.
Me and my other half got married at Haslingden register office in October of that year.
No way does it feel like fifty years ago.
I wonder if I know Yvonne.....my best friend lived in Fern Gore(Pat Gundry) and I used to spend a bit of time playing up there.
Anyway, congratulations in advance for your happy day.
KiTChener and dotti34 like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 00:43   #18

Margaret and Kitchener - congratulations in advance to you (and your spouses, of course) for achieving what so many others don't for one reason or another. Here's wishing you the very best for THE day when it arrives, however way you choose to celebrate it.

Bob, have you convinced her yet? Sorry, couldn't help myself. Have to agree though, lads from Accrington are OK and very smart - they're pretty good at choosing the right woman....
KiTChener likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 11:46   #19
Beacon of light

Thank you Dotti.
My other half spent all his growing up years out in Melbourne.
He came back because his dad was diagnosed with terminal illness and wanted to return to his roots.
We met during that time. But after his dad died he scarpered back to Oz.
He could not forget me....And had to save up to return.
Marriage needs to be worked at....it does not just 'happen'.(but then, you know that just as well as anyone having just clocked up 69 years)
Old 25-02-2016, 16:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I hope you and your lovely Yvonne have a lovely day on the 4th of June.
Don't you wonder where the time has gone.
Me and my other half got married at Haslingden register office in October of that year.
No way does it feel like fifty years ago.
I wonder if I know Yvonne.....my best friend lived in Fern Gore(Pat Gundry) and I used to spend a bit of time playing up there.
Anyway, congratulations in advance for your happy day.
Thanks, Margaret, yes, we too wonder where all those years have gone!
Two daughters, four grandchildren, & so far, one great grandson, & we still feel like we are only about 35!
Yvonne's family name was Taylor& she has an older sister called Valerie... don't know if that may ring any bells with you, but she cannot recollect anyone of the name you mentioned.
Congrats in advance to you too!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 16:31   #21
Beacon of light

No I do not know your lady......which is sad. It would have been good if it turned out we had all played hopscotch together.
Yes, I know that feeling...feeling 35, except I tell myself I am only 16(my knickers back this up)
Our celebrations will be very muted as the money was spent last year dealing with dry rot...so we are walking on our Golden wedding money(floorboards) and sitting on it too.
All our furniture needed to be replaced....so this ate up the savings.
But it doesn't matter that much....we have each other and that is what counts.
KiTChener likes this.
Old 25-02-2016, 20:24   #22

Well Margaret your money was well spent (even if not planned for before dry rot raised its ugly head). We didn't worry about celebrating our 50th as most of our immediate family were away at the time, and if we had wanted to celebrate it would have been with all of them together. As this couldn't be arranged we didn't do anything special at all. It was just him and me. In the June of that year my youngest daughter came home from the Caribbean (where she lived for some 3 years) to get married here - so that was celebration enough.

You are quite right, marriage does need to be worked at, definitely not all beer and skittles.

That was some distance for your other half to travel to get back to you - and here I was thinking having someone ride a bike 17 miles to see me was quite an accomplishment and I mention it often - I'll shut up about it now.....

By the way, it's 59 years not 69 - but what's 10 years between friends - ha ha.
Old 25-02-2016, 20:39   #23
Beacon of light

It was a slip of the fingers Dotti....and by the time I spotted it......it was too late to rectify.
It is still a blooming long time to stay together and still be friends.
dotti34 likes this.
Old 25-02-2016, 20:47   #24

It sure is - and you really do have to be friends. A bit (or a lot!) of humour along the way helps.
Old 25-02-2016, 20:54   #25
Beacon of light

I think it takes a lot of humour....especially the ability to laugh at yourself.....and another essential quality is to be able to ignore the things about each other that irritate(personally, I find that one really hard).

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..