Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 09:31   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Weekly Bin Collections

Weekly collections never seemed to be a problem for the old Oswaldtwistle UDC
Old 01-10-2011, 09:41   #32
Common Sense Member

I have never had a single complaint about fortnightly bin collections and I have never had a problem with the current system. Quite often it will only be left out once per month because the vast majority of household waste can be recycled.

Food waste was toyed with as an idea to get recycling rates up and lower the tonnage being sent to landfill but it has generally been agreed that it would not be a good idea, primarily because of the hygeine issue.

Better recycling is the way forward and this £250m bribe, sorry policy, smells of face-saving to me.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 18:58   #33
God Member

wonder if its anything to do with the private sector taking over refuse collection
Old 01-10-2011, 19:35   #34
Resting in Peace

I can only endorse what many people have said on here and elsewhere. Have got used to it now, and is not that difficult.

Again, will point out that we do have weekly collections .. just split into two types that is all.

The grumble appears to be that it is the food rotting that will attract rats and maggots.. but, honestly, most people with any sense will wrap up the excess food in various packaging before putting in the bin; I wrap in newspaper, then in a small plastic bag and then in my black bin bag.

no rats.jpg Could try this sticker..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 19:51   #35
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Its ok Kate the maggots get emptied every 2 weeks as well.

My bin smells a bit now but that's just part of the fun with a new puppy

I don't stand there with the lid open taking deep breaths so it does not really matter.

(No before anyone asks Coco the Beagle has not been murdered and stuffed in the bin, everyone knows wheelie bins are where cats belong.)
Old 01-10-2011, 20:10   #36
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I can only endorse what many people have said on here and elsewhere. Have got used to it now, and is not that difficult.

Again, will point out that we do have weekly collections .. just split into two types that is all.

The grumble appears to be that it is the food rotting that will attract rats and maggots.. but, honestly, most people with any sense will wrap up the excess food in various packaging before putting in the bin; I wrap in newspaper, then in a small plastic bag and then in my black bin bag.

Attachment 18518 Could try this sticker..
It isn't difficult for us Kate either, there is only me and him , but there are families in the street for whom the present system doesn't quite fit
They recycle as much as they can but yet the bin for non recyclabale stuff is full to overflowing long before the bin man comes.......so we donate our free bin space,as does the pensioner next door to us.....being neighbourly.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 20:23   #37
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Hyndburn Borough Council - rebuilding our broken society and bringing neighbours together by supplying small wheelie bins.

We are so lucky to have such a caring council, we will miss them when we are part of Pennine Lancashire and have no voice at all
Old 01-10-2011, 20:36   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
They recycle as much as they can but yet the bin for non recyclabale stuff is full to overflowing long before the bin man comes.......so we donate our free bin space,as does the pensioner next door to us.....being neighbourly.
I do that too with both my next door neighbours .. one having a 12 month old baby plus three other children. How much food waste would they have anyway ? Probably the disposable nappies which are their biggest problem.

Gone are the days when we could burn rubbish on our coal fires...

Last edited by katex; 01-10-2011 at 20:41.
Old 01-10-2011, 20:46   #39
Beacon of light

yes Kate...though at a guess I don't reckon you would burn nappies.......oooh it would make a pong.
But yes, we did burn a lot of stuff on the good old coal fire....it made the coal last a bit longer
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 21:07   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
yes Kate...though at a guess I don't reckon you would burn nappies.......oooh it would make a pong.
But yes, we did burn a lot of stuff on the good old coal fire....it made the coal last a bit longer
Including the ST's .. sorry folks.

To be honest, I am tryng to think of the items I put in my black bin on a regular basis, and apart from food excess (aren't we lucky), window envelopes, fag ends and the odd metal item ... what else do people fill their bins with (disposable nappies/dog pooh excluded). Maybe it is packaging that should be in the recycle sacks ?
Old 01-10-2011, 21:20   #41
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

lots of packaging plastic cant be recycled and has to go in the bin. Yoghurt pots go in. I believe tetra packs - the plastic coated cardboard packs that fresh orange comes in cant be recycled either.

I put green garden waste in mine because they wont give me a green bin because I dont live in a garden area. So what is that think that looks like a hedge between the grass thats not there and the wall?

Its autumn so it will soon be full of leaves that fall of the 2 big trees I dont have but cant cut them down because we are in a conservation area
Old 01-10-2011, 21:39   #42

The council here in Bolton have a really good refuse collection model. The grey bin for non recyclabes is collected every week and the recyling bins, 3 of them, every fortnight. It seems to suit everyone. The latest initiative is a small bin we've been given to put all waste food into complete with biodegradable liners. To be honest we don't really need the weekly one anymore as we probabaly recycle about 65 to 70% of the volume of our rubbish.
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 21:42   #43

Keep it as it is, I put my grey bin out about every 6 weeks because I recycle that much and I have a toddler so the majority of my refuse is nappies. Doesn't half make yer bin pong!
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 22:03   #44
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton View Post
The council here in Bolton have a really good refuse collection model. The grey bin for non recyclabes is collected every week and the recyling bins, 3 of them, every fortnight. It seems to suit everyone. The latest initiative is a small bin we've been given to put all waste food into complete with biodegradable liners. To be honest we don't really need the weekly one anymore as we probabaly recycle about 65 to 70% of the volume of our rubbish.
It sounds great but most people don't have the room to store all those bins.

My parents in the Ribble Valley have 3 small bins (half the size of our grey bins) that rae collected weekly
1 for non recyclable
1 for recyclable
1 for green garden waste

If we had that model here most terraced houses would only have 2 small bins

Here is what they do

Ribble Valley Borough Council - Three Stream Waste Collection.

The odd thing is they use a private contractor to take paper and card in a sack like our paper is but it is taken fortnightly and might be on a different day to the other bins

It explains here Ribble Valley Borough Council - Mixed paper and cardboard collection service.

I like the idea of mixed recyclables, maybe the same company would want Hyndburns business.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:38   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I have never had a single complaint about fortnightly bin collections and I have never had a problem with the current system. Quite often it will only be left out once per month because the vast majority of household waste can be recycled.

Food waste was toyed with as an idea to get recycling rates up and lower the tonnage being sent to landfill but it has generally been agreed that it would not be a good idea, primarily because of the hygeine issue.

Better recycling is the way forward and this £250m bribe, sorry policy, smells of face-saving to me.
Face saving for who, please remind me who legislated to bring in the fortnightly collection policy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..