Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2011, 11:26   #1
Senior Member+

Weekly Bin Collections

The Government is looking to bring back weekly bin collections. I have to say that in all the time I spent in local government, the one thing I always struggled to justify was the move to fortnightly collections. To me it was simply a cynical way to save money, justified by a smokescreen of getting us all to recycle.

It would be interesting to know the arrangements for refuse collection in other parts of the world like Canada and Italy where other accy webbers live. In Spain, I know that domestic refuse is collected every day, seven days a week.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-09-2011, 12:14   #2
God Member

Re: Weekly Bin Collections

Can anyone answer the following:

a) Where has the government suddenly found £250m to pay for this weekly bin collection? (please don't say by sacking 1000 members of the Royal Navy).

b) What scientific evidence is there to back up the theory that waste collection every two weeks results in more vermin - rats, mice and 'roaches - on the streets?

c) What the net effect will be on recycling volumes and what the additional costs to local authorities will be in increased landfill tax?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 12:53   #3
Senior Member+

The timing is all designed to make Eric Pickles look good at the Conservative Conference next week, and as such it is little more than a cheap and cynical gimmick. The effect on recycling and landfill won't have entered his head. He can't see past plaudits and standing ovations.

Shame, really, because its right to restore weekly collections.

Last edited by gynn; 30-09-2011 at 12:56.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 12:57   #4
Beacon of light

why would anyone recycle less just if we go back to weekly bin collections.
Surely now we have all got the message about recycling? Goodness, I was doing recycling long before government and councils got in on the act....taking my newspapers to the collection point at Tesco....same with bottles and tin cans.
I am not going to be putting something recyclable into my rubbish bin just to make it look more full.
Who is it who comes up with these crackpot notions?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 13:00   #5
Beacon of light

It might be a political ploy to make Eric Pickles look good(is that really possible? - he's a right gargoyle), but if you consider it the right thing to do why make mileage out of it?

Why don't other government minister use some more political ploys to make them look good too......getting us out of the EU would win my vote.......whoever did it! (don't get me started)
Old 30-09-2011, 14:00   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
why would anyone recycle less just if we go back to weekly bin collections.
Because in general humans are lazy animals and will put everything in the one bin if they can. The move to fortnightly collections forced people to recycle who would never have done before - I am one of these people. I think many people will revert back to using the one bin.

Not sure if I can be bothered wheeling all my bins bags boxes out every week. I like grey bin day because its just one bin, the week after in a pain in the neck.

Obviously you are one of the good ones who is not lazy and will keep recycling.
Old 30-09-2011, 14:01   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Can anyone answer the following:

a) Where has the government suddenly found £250m to pay for this weekly bin collection? (please don't say by sacking 1000 members of the Royal Navy).

b) What scientific evidence is there to back up the theory that waste collection every two weeks results in more vermin - rats, mice and 'roaches - on the streets?

c) What the net effect will be on recycling volumes and what the additional costs to local authorities will be in increased landfill tax?

A very good sensible question that I doubt will result in a good sensible answer (apart from mine )
Old 30-09-2011, 14:11   #8
Beacon of light

I think it is wrong to label humans as inherently lazy. Much has been made of green issues in the past and these issues have been taken up.......good habits are just as hard to break as bad ones.

My refuse bin is rarely full, but I know families with a few children in our street....they use my free capacity....but I tell them if I see anything that could be recycled in the stuff they put in my bin....they will not get to use it again for their household waste........and No, I am not policing their refuse, I am letting them know that recycling is their responsibility too.....so far I haven't had a single problem.
Old 30-09-2011, 14:38   #9
God Member

We never stopped having weekly collections, the only thing we have fortnightly is the recycling, my recycling bin after the fornight is practically full, my household bin that goes out weekly rarely has more than one bin bag in it because we recycle that much, so the excuse that people won't recycle as much if they have their bins back to weekly collection is a load of bollox
Old 30-09-2011, 15:45   #10
Give, give, give member

We have weekly collections now.

I'm quite happy with the system.

One week non-recycable waste. The week after, rubbish that can be recycled.

I've never had a problem, and fail to see the fuss some people make about it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 17:56   #11
Resting in Peace

I certainly would welcome a weekly refuse collection, fortnightly recycling is fine, but my neighbours and myself are still on bin bags, orange bin bags collected every other which means a horrible stink especially when we have weather that we've had this week
Old 30-09-2011, 18:38   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I certainly would welcome a weekly refuse collection, fortnightly recycling is fine, but my neighbours and myself are still on bin bags, orange bin bags collected every other which means a horrible stink especially when we have weather that we've had this week
I didn't know you still had sacks.

Why can't you have communal wheelie bins, like they have at the homes at St. Paul's?

Best thing ever, wheelie bins, for being dog, cat, fox proof, and for keeping smells under a lid.

Old 30-09-2011, 18:45   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I didn't know you still had sacks.

Why can't you have communal wheelie bins, like they have at the homes at St. Paul's?

Best thing ever, wheelie bins, for being dog, cat, fox proof, and for keeping smells under a lid.
I questioned this time and again, from what I can gather there was a stumbling block over who's responsibility it was to provide the cash for the bases HH or HBC, but anything would be better than what we have now I'll settle for weekly collections
Old 30-09-2011, 18:51   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I questioned this time and again, from what I can gather there was a stumbling block over who's responsibility it was to provide the cash for the bases HH or HBC, but anything would be better than what we have now I'll settle for weekly collections
I can't see how where you live is any different from the flats/houses at St. Paul's, who have lidded wheelie bins.

Weekly or fortnightly, wheelie bins are better, and more hygenic than sacks, regardless of how often they're collected.

You should find out who your councillor is, and get them on to it.

Old 30-09-2011, 18:57   #15
Beacon of light

Ma has a sack too...which despite many requests for her to leave it and let us move it, she busts her chops every time, to move it from the back yard to the front door.......the bin wagons don't go up Riley's Hill.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..