Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2008, 12:16   #31
God Member

Re: Well, they let me in

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I have a really really, really really, really really sore head.
I don't think you deserve any sympathy
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-08-2008, 16:53   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
A girl on the radio yesterday who'd just got her A levels was asked what she thought of this view and she said 'people say that, but I'd like to see how they would do on the exams'

How many people who say this could really get straight A's on the exams with no problems?

I wouldn't contend that GCSE is easier than O level, but A level is a different ball game I think, and it really isn't fair to dub down the hard work that is put into studying for A levels at all.

I did rubbish in mine so I'm not trying to stick up for my own efforts at all, but I have a lot of respect for those who get straight A's.
Hmmmm... sense of humour bypass I think.

But while we're on the subject, why do you think they're introducing an A* at A'level?

Last edited by Tin Monkey; 15-08-2008 at 16:58.
Tin Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 17:05   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
but A level is a different ball game I think, and it really isn't fair to dub down the hard work that is put into studying for A levels at all.
Do remember the Masters at my son's school saying that 'A' levels were the hardest work and that he would find University studies much easier .... >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 20:19   #34
God Member

congratulations Shaker
Old 15-08-2008, 21:49   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
well done all of you
Hey Tosh....My lamps don't do yellow...what does that say?
Got it now on a blue background..........agree.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 00:01   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Let's not forget the excellent work done by the teachers in helping students achieve these results.
Think it is great that 18 year old's are passing their 11 plus exams
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 00:11   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
A girl on the radio yesterday who'd just got her A levels was asked what she thought of this view and she said 'people say that, but I'd like to see how they would do on the exams'

How many people who say this could really get straight A's on the exams with no problems?

I wouldn't contend that GCSE is easier than O level, but A level is a different ball game I think, and it really isn't fair to dub down the hard work that is put into studying for A levels at all.

I did rubbish in mine so I'm not trying to stick up for my own efforts at all, but I have a lot of respect for those who get straight A's.
Says it all I rest my case
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 14:54   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Hmmmm... sense of humour bypass I think.

But while we're on the subject, why do you think they're introducing an A* at A'level?
Because sixth forms are spoon feeding infomation of how to pass exams to students rather than really teaching them the information, so more students are getting A's but aren't really analysing what they are actually saying.

An A* would demand that kind of work, therefore it wouldn't be so easy to be spoon fed the information and it would divide the brightest from the bright.

I always had a problem with being spoon fed information, I found it really patronising. I guess that is why I am doing well at university on a course that is 3 parts self study 1 part lectures and seminars. I don't think I could ever do well at college because I don't really like the lazy methods used.

I think A level results get better and better each year because they don't change, so you can question spot. Not a good habit to get into though if you actually want to succeed in the long run.

Obviously I am not a teacher or part of an exam board or something, so I can only give my viewpoint from when I was actually at college studying A levels myself.

I once asked a question in history about WWII, think it was relating to the actual war itself and the planes used, type of thing anyone might find interesting, only to receive the answer that it wasn't going to be on the exam so I didn't need to know it. In other words, you aren't learning the subject when you go to college to do A levels, you're simply learning the exam and I found that quite disheartening on a personal level.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 20:21   #39
Caz
God Member

Just like to add to this thread, congrats to my 2 boys...Nick - Biochemistry & Scott -Clinical Psychology, both at Manchester. Really proud of you two!
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:53   #40
Accy Goddess

CONGRATULATIONS Shaker.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 17:04   #41
God Member

Thanks Anne
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 17:22   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzer View Post
Just like to add to this thread, congrats to my 2 boys...Nick - Biochemistry & Scott -Clinical Psychology, both at Manchester. Really proud of you two!
Uni of or met ?
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 17:23   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Uni of or met ?
What he's really asking is ...are they going to the proper one?
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 21:46   #44
Caz
God Member

Uni!
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 22:54   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
What he's really asking is ...are they going to the proper one?
Oi you cheeky bastard - I'm going uni of but my gf is going met - met is a top uni for the vocational courses - the red brick ones don't do courses such as physiotherapy and its annoying that people's immediate reaction is oh your going to met you must be thicker than a plank of wood when in fact the course has a BBB requirement which is a higher requirement than a lot of "decent" unis.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..